Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

mb>

Gold Member
Wrecked the edge of my nice GB hatchet chopping through bone. :/ Never tried that before, aaand won’t again. Need a CPK hatchet!

This little guy is all joy in deer skinning and processing. 👍

PrUr89jl.jpg

sonofwilfred

Platinum Member
Another successful thermal hunt up in OK. Got done at 3AM this morning and made it back to Dallas by 6AM just in time for a nap before the kids got up.

qR7kUBK.jpg
G'day mate great haul for the night, I was wondering if there is a feral pig meat industry there. Im not up to date on prices here but I used to get $4 a kilo here in Australia for a dressed pig.

Grenock

Platinum Member
Another successful thermal hunt up in OK. Got done at 3AM this morning and made it back to Dallas by 6AM just in time for a nap before the kids got up.

qR7kUBK.jpg
Nice, a lot of work ahead of you there.

I am thankful that I never had a thermal optic when I was younger, nothing would have been safe or sacred, the maturity just wasn't there. I am sure I would have gotten arrested for being on a night time safari at the national zoo or one of the local petting zoos. Now that I have one and am older and wiser, I am sure I can get away with it.

Notsharp

Gold Member
G'day mate great haul for the night, I was wondering if there is a feral pig meat industry there. Im not up to date on prices here but I used to get $4 a kilo here in Australia for a dressed pig.
That’s a great looking hog. Our guide has had people buy them from him at $90usd per hog over 100lbs but it isn’t too common and he doesn’t advertise it.

Notsharp

Gold Member
Nice, a lot of work ahead of you there.

I am thankful that I never had a thermal optic when I was younger, nothing would have been safe or sacred, the maturity just wasn't there. I am sure I would have gotten arrested for being on a night time safari at the national zoo or one of the local petting zoos. Now that I have one and am older and wiser, I am sure I can get away with it.
We just cut the backstraps out and dumped them. With the feral hog issue in the region a lot of people leave them where they lay. I want a thermal so bad after using these. I’d be happy just shooting coyotes and rabbits at night.

sonofwilfred

Platinum Member
We just cut the backstraps out and dumped them. With the feral hog issue in the region a lot of people leave them where they lay. I want a thermal so bad after using these. I’d be happy just shooting coyotes and rabbits at night.
I'm with you mate it was messy work dressing them, shooting any pest is a great time. Thermal sounds like fun. We just use spotlights here

Grenock

Platinum Member
A friend and I trapped fourteen one night in the middle of August several years ago. This was in the humid as all hell piedmont region of Virginia when we were in a stretch of high 90 degree days. That was a miserable experience working them up, so I feel your pain.

The cost on thermals has come way down in the past ten years, get one and don't look back.

bluemax_1

Gold Member
A friend and I trapped fourteen one night in the middle of August several years ago. This was in the humid as all hell piedmont region of Virginia when we were in a stretch of high 90 degree days. That was a miserable experience working them up, so I feel your pain.

The cost on thermals has come way down in the past ten years, get one and don't look back.
Thermals are amazing. How affordable (relatively speaking) they've become for Joe Average is incredible.

Decades ago, we used one of the handheld thermals (the type typically used for things like industrial surveying/inspection etc.) to check modifications on race cars. Made it easy to see at a glance how well ducting mods etc. were affecting heat dissipation, looking for potential problems before they resulted in parts failure...

Those units cost ~$30+k and were only 320x240 (state of the art back then). Nowadays, the cheapest 320x240 unit I've seen is the Seek IR Compact Pro.

Handy little units that use your smartphone as the display, using their Seek Thermal app. It just plugs into the phone and you can use it to check all sorts of things, from looking for heat signatures outdoors, to insoecting your house/buildings for missing/inadequate insulation and air leaks, checking equipment to look for overheating electronics, excessive friction, checking autoparts etc. (Obviously, a little education on things like reflectance, emissivity etc., helps).

And yes, thermal sights/scopes are awesome for pest control.