FK2

bullpin bullpin

Im so confused now. I see your keychain says #1 dad.
My kids gave me a #1 dad mug, so all this time ive thought I was #1 dad, and now it looks like there is another. Good on ya!
nice knife too. I wasnt sure if I would like those scales, but seeing a few pics of them in the wild now makes them look really good.

bullpin bullpin

Im so confused now. I see your keychain says #1 dad.
My kids gave me a #1 dad mug, so all this time ive thought I was #1 dad, and now it looks like there is another. Good on ya!
nice knife too. I wasnt sure if I would like those scales, but seeing a few pics of them in the wild now makes them look really good.
Mugs and keychains only bestow the honor for a year. You get a trophy/chalice when you are the “all-time” number 1 Dad!

That’s what I’ve heard anyhow.

just received the best CPK I've owned. I like this one so much more than the original, so it's a definite keeper. I can see this knife going everywhere especially for the worldly travelers and adventurers. This is about the perfect size for that all around knife, survival, bushcrafter, combat, ect. Now I need to strip the black oxide off the flatheads. Sorry for the bad lighting on both pics.

look now how pretty she is, because it won't look like this any here soon after it becomes a user.

zn4veBz.jpg

I liked how the flare at the end of the handle near the guard of the original FK pushed back on my fingers in a pinch grip while slicing sideways. I was worried when I didn't find it there on the UFK. Now after using it a bit more I noticed it's still there just a little further back just ahead of the first screw. I'm gaining an understanding for why those slants on the handle are now present on this model. It offers even more control when moving the knife further forward or back when holding it sideways. I can pinch near the end of the handle (ahead of the first screw) or now the blade comfortably without the handle ever getting in the way. Subtle yet very effective tweaks.

Just thinking out loud... Here's a pic
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190222145231357_COVER-2845x2036.jpg

A FK2 sample in buffed black linen along with an EDC2 in black G10:

2v2EwrNkgxAhvqS.jpg

The following comment is just an observation about the new model... Perhaps more of a CPK "geek fan" detail regarding machining process but I've noticed some very fine machining striations almost like the fine grit belt grind marks of a hand ground knife to the primary bevels of the FK2.

I don't think I've observed this with other CPK model/samples before? Maybe Nathan is running/cutting the primary bevels of the FK2 on a new machine center? The flats don't seem to exhibit this characteristic.

Some photos trying to capture what I'm describing:

2v2Ewr82qxAhvqS.jpg

2v2EwrzGFxAhvqS.jpg

2v2EwjvbGxAhvqS.jpg

^^UFK was milled and tumbled, the fact that it is that clean is a testament to Nathan and his process. The latest UF was done the same way.

The older knives, like your EDC, followed a different process, which resulted in a "cleaner" but not necessarily "better" finish. It was also more laborious.

The new finish, as on the UFK and UF have made both those models rediculously affordable for what you get.

A FK2 sample in buffed black linen along with an EDC2 in black G10:

2v2EwrNkgxAhvqS.jpg

The following comment is just an observation about the new model... Perhaps more of a CPK "geek fan" detail regarding machining process but I've noticed some very fine machining striations almost like the fine grit belt grind marks of a hand ground knife to the primary bevels of the FK2.

I don't think I've observed this with other CPK model/samples before? Maybe Nathan is running/cutting the primary bevels of the FK2 on a new machine center? The flats don't seem to exhibit this characteristic.

Some photos trying to capture what I'm describing:

2v2Ewr82qxAhvqS.jpg

2v2EwrzGFxAhvqS.jpg

2v2EwjvbGxAhvqS.jpg
Yeah they are machined and not ground. Your EDC is smooth without those marks because it’s hand ground. CPK has done the recent runs of utility fighters, EDC3 and field knife 2 with this machine-only method that leaves the striated marks. Hand grinding consumes a lot of time and materials so machined-only blades equal faster production, more volume, lower prices. They upgraded machinery recently which enabled them to employ this method on more models. I think.

Back