1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Forum Knife Updates and comments

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by eisman, Jul 15, 2018.

1. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    For anyone that has an issue with the quality of their Buck knife and wants to reach out to the folks who can take care of that...there is Buck Knives forum here moderated by Jeff Hubbard (of Buck knives) who will respond directly. Otherwise, you can reach out directly to Buck and they will try to make it right. Jeff and the warranty department do a really great job and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
    When you are talking about a run of several hundred knives and a few of them aren't great...that is probably the norm. Each and every one of us has different preferences and expectations as to what this knife should be. There is no way to please everyone.
    I might get a good one or I might get an ok one and I may or may not carry it...I'll find out soon but this knife holds special meaning for me and I really don't care if it is perfect or not. Just me.

2. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    Well, here is a photo of mine:

I can't really say how well I like it or not, though!

3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Daniel, it's a clear winner to me...well, lets say it is just CLEAR as in I can't see a thing ;)
    G2

4. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    @Daniel . Darken with Potassium Permanganate, wait a couple days, check mailbox? Repeat as needed.

veitsi_poika, zolthar, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  5. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Order! Orrrder!
    I declare this meeting of The Porchenberg Shire Council open.
    First order of business:
    That Brother Daniel be known from this day forth...as Daniel The Esoteric.
    All in favour ?
    Aye
    Opposed?
    mumble mumble murmur harrumph
    Master of Hounds remove those
    agitators from the chamber.!

Motion carried.
    Secondly I hereby bestow upon
    Daniel The Esoteric
    the coveted Jon Meako Meakin Meritorious Action Award for weirdness above and beyond in the face of adversity .
    Meeting closed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I'll be sure to check mine out when tomorrow comes, it'll be late in the day, and some say I have a critical eye, dunno why they say that, guess my daughters' boyfriends started that for some reason as I would greet them at the door like this;

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

particle mask for when I am sanding down the welts on my leather sheaths ;)
    G2

marcus52AR, zolthar, TFBraden and 7 others like this.
  7. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    oooh a message from the post office....could it be?

8. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I had my 2 and the slip in the mail yesterday. Thanks to Stephen @skblades! Both look great! I'm going to have one in my pocket (with that nice slip!) through the holidays. It will be opening a lot of packages!

9. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    I know what you mean Gary...my eyes end up in critical condition too sometimes:D

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I guess the next question is will I carry this knife or do what I have done with past forum knives.... keep them pristine or as new.

What is the proper name for this knife in terms of design and pattern? The squared ends are what causes me to think "Congress" but I'm no expert. Not a jack knife.

11. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    It's more a Stockman frame/style of folder.
    G2

12. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Serpentine double end jack.

mqqn, Pomsbz, waverave and 2 others like this.
  13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That is what we called the 2016 forum knife made by Canal Street. It is very similar I must say. Does the word "Serpentine" refer to the curved shape?

14. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    I was going by what Buck calls the usual 301
    Either name will do
    G2

15. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Two-thirds Stockman. :D

16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    From a mod's view:
    As with all other topics, the Porch is expected to share information on knives and to be polite about it.

If you have a problem with a knife, such as a wobbly blade or excessive gap, it is acceptable to post about it here. If you are wistful about the elk you wanted instead of what you got, I think that's still reasonable to post about.
    However, d
    ecrying that "Buck can't do this or that and they suck" is not acceptable.

We have had issues with some of the delivered knives pretty much every year that Gary and I have been involved in the Forum knife projects. We have had them with every manufacturer who has made a forum knife for us.

Some of the issues folks have posted about seem valid to me. I would contact Buck about those to see what they can do for you.
    Others seem to me to be unrealistic expectations. Natural materials are luck-of-the-draw. For those, I am sorry this was not what you wanted.

I am very grateful to Steve and Buck.

Note:
    decry synonyms: denounce, condemn, censure, attack, rail against, run down, pillory, lambaste, vilify, revile;

VashHash, Xr6x, Pàdruig and 26 others like this.
  17. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    So ... If the first GEC, Queen, CSC, or Case you received had the same problems, would you say the same thing about them based on one example?!?

Buck will make it right if you send the knives in.
    "I shouldn't hav ..." Pardon me for interupting. How many new knives have you sent back to GEC and the other "collector" brands to fix a defect?
    I see threads and posts here all the time about having to send a GEC back to have something corrected. Queen too, when they were in business.

Hate me if you want, and curse me to he'll if you desire. (Sorry. For some reason my spell checker changes "he'll" to "NYC" without the apostrophe.) Call me impolite names that we are not allowed to use in this forum. You won't be the first, and I doubt you'll be the last to do so. :)

Oh, FYI: I probably answer to those names.
    My parents were not married when I arrived.
    My mother was a (proper term for a female dog).
    I do have kids, thus I've had relations with a mother. (Just not my own. Ew.) :D

1066vik likes this.
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    People should be honest about their reactions to the Forum Knife, provided they remain polite towards others. I don't like the idea that a forum must be a love in for x type of knife or that nay sayers are spoiling everybody elses feelgood factor. Groupthink. The thread is called comments and that's what it should be, from all perspectives.

However, the very nature of Traditional knives ensures there will be differences in fit&finish and particularly variance in natural scale material. American Elk is a pretty variable material itself, it does not have the spectacular aspect of Sambar Stag for instance. Stag too is highly individual, so for people to complain that the Elk doesn't match or is lacklustre is rather futile. This is a big run production knife, you don't enjoy the luxury of being able to go into a shop , compare various examples and choose the one you like best- especially at this price! Or are people actually 'complaining' ? Maybe they are just commenting....I didn't vote for Elk, Ram's Horn was my favourite, but whatever I get I won't be bitterly saying that Elk is crap I told you we should've had Ram's Horn:D

Buck offers a good guarantee and those with sub par knives will get satisfaction, patience is all that's required. Talking of which....

Will I get mine though???:eek: E-mail still says a package is being prepared on 6th December (sounds like a bomb being primed :D) and that no tracking is available....o_O I am looking forward to it though

19. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Take a deep breath, Will! ;) EDIT: (I forgot about your injured ribs):confused: I hope you get a good one, Buddy! Can’t wait to see some pictures. -Lance

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Will Power and t.willy like this.
  20. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Mine was supposed to land tomorrow. I just decided to check the mail (I remember I never checked yesterday) and to my surprise there was a box from SKBlades!

I feel like I won the lotto in the elk department! It’s beautiful on both sides and matches fairly well. I don’t have any gaps and both blades have nice pulls and snap close.

The only negative thing I can say is the clip point blade doesn’t snap open, but at least the sheep’s foot does. It doesn’t make it any less useable and this one will be going right into my pocket.

Thank you so much Stephen, Buck Knives and Bladeforums for such a great knife. Merry Christmas!

DAB832EA-B011-40ED-A3CB-C7A75AB1E5C0.jpeg DFDFCD6F-C03F-4FE9-B1C1-F6C8AD92D95B.jpeg 6F534A8C-3647-47C7-B67D-DF3137B05100.jpeg 464C9E5C-8450-40AA-8E86-D2A81675E6F4.jpeg D9767CDA-4AB4-4EE9-9386-5EE2F0B92BF4.jpeg

PS much like I anticipated, my pup is obsessed with it and thinks it’s a toy for her. I need to keep it out of sight. And yes, she is wearing a Christmas sweater in Hawaii.