Forum Knife Updates and comments

For anyone that has an issue with the quality of their Buck knife and wants to reach out to the folks who can take care of that...there is Buck Knives forum here moderated by Jeff Hubbard (of Buck knives) who will respond directly. Otherwise, you can reach out directly to Buck and they will try to make it right. Jeff and the warranty department do a really great job and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
When you are talking about a run of several hundred knives and a few of them aren't great...that is probably the norm. Each and every one of us has different preferences and expectations as to what this knife should be. There is no way to please everyone.
I might get a good one or I might get an ok one and I may or may not carry it...I'll find out soon but this knife holds special meaning for me and I really don't care if it is perfect or not. Just me.

Well, here is a photo of mine:

I can't really say how well I like it or not, though!
Order! Orrrder!
I declare this meeting of The Porchenberg Shire Council open.
First order of business:
That Brother Daniel be known from this day forth...as Daniel The Esoteric.
All in favour ?
Aye
Opposed?
mumble mumble murmur harrumph
Master of Hounds remove those
agitators from the chamber.!

Motion carried.
Secondly I hereby bestow upon
Daniel The Esoteric
the coveted Jon Meako Meakin Meritorious Action Award for weirdness above and beyond in the face of adversity .
Meeting closed.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to check mine out when tomorrow comes, it'll be late in the day, and some say I have a critical eye, dunno why they say that, guess my daughters' boyfriends started that for some reason as I would greet them at the door like this;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

particle mask for when I am sanding down the welts on my leather sheaths ;)
G2

I guess the next question is will I carry this knife or do what I have done with past forum knives.... keep them pristine or as new.

What is the proper name for this knife in terms of design and pattern? The squared ends are what causes me to think "Congress" but I'm no expert. Not a jack knife.

It's more a Stockman frame/style of folder.
G2

I was going by what Buck calls the usual 301
Either name will do
G2

From a mod's view:
As with all other topics, the Porch is expected to share information on knives and to be polite about it.

If you have a problem with a knife, such as a wobbly blade or excessive gap, it is acceptable to post about it here. If you are wistful about the elk you wanted instead of what you got, I think that's still reasonable to post about.
However, d
ecrying that "Buck can't do this or that and they suck" is not acceptable.

We have had issues with some of the delivered knives pretty much every year that Gary and I have been involved in the Forum knife projects. We have had them with every manufacturer who has made a forum knife for us.

Some of the issues folks have posted about seem valid to me. I would contact Buck about those to see what they can do for you.
Others seem to me to be unrealistic expectations. Natural materials are luck-of-the-draw. For those, I am sorry this was not what you wanted.

I am very grateful to Steve and Buck.

Note:
decry synonyms: denounce, condemn, censure, attack, rail against, run down, pillory, lambaste, vilify, revile;

No more buck slippies for me.
So ... If the first GEC, Queen, CSC, or Case you received had the same problems, would you say the same thing about them based on one example?!?

Buck will make it right if you send the knives in.
"I shouldn't hav ..." Pardon me for interupting. How many new knives have you sent back to GEC and the other "collector" brands to fix a defect?
I see threads and posts here all the time about having to send a GEC back to have something corrected. Queen too, when they were in business.

Hate me if you want, and curse me to he'll if you desire. (Sorry. For some reason my spell checker changes "he'll" to "NYC" without the apostrophe.) Call me impolite names that we are not allowed to use in this forum. You won't be the first, and I doubt you'll be the last to do so. :)

Oh, FYI: I probably answer to those names.
My parents were not married when I arrived.
My mother was a (proper term for a female dog).
I do have kids, thus I've had relations with a mother. (Just not my own. Ew.) :D

People should be honest about their reactions to the Forum Knife, provided they remain polite towards others. I don't like the idea that a forum must be a love in for x type of knife or that nay sayers are spoiling everybody elses feelgood factor. Groupthink. The thread is called comments and that's what it should be, from all perspectives.

However, the very nature of Traditional knives ensures there will be differences in fit&finish and particularly variance in natural scale material. American Elk is a pretty variable material itself, it does not have the spectacular aspect of Sambar Stag for instance. Stag too is highly individual, so for people to complain that the Elk doesn't match or is lacklustre is rather futile. This is a big run production knife, you don't enjoy the luxury of being able to go into a shop , compare various examples and choose the one you like best- especially at this price! Or are people actually 'complaining' ? Maybe they are just commenting....I didn't vote for Elk, Ram's Horn was my favourite, but whatever I get I won't be bitterly saying that Elk is crap I told you we should've had Ram's Horn:D

Buck offers a good guarantee and those with sub par knives will get satisfaction, patience is all that's required. Talking of which....

Will I get mine though???:eek: E-mail still says a package is being prepared on 6th December (sounds like a bomb being primed :D) and that no tracking is available....o_O I am looking forward to it though

People should be honest about their reactions to the Forum Knife, provided they remain polite towards others. I don't like the idea that a forum must be a love in for x type of knife or that nay sayers are spoiling everybody elses feelgood factor. Groupthink. The thread is called comments and that's what it should be, from all perspectives.

However, the very nature of Traditional knives ensures there will be differences in fit&finish and particularly variance in natural scale material. American Elk is a pretty variable material itself, it does not have the spectacular aspect of Sambar Stag for instance. Stag too is highly individual, so for people to complain that the Elk doesn't match or is lacklustre is rather futile. This is a big run production knife, you don't enjoy the luxury of being able to go into a shop , compare various examples and choose the one you like best- especially at this price! Or are people actually 'complaining' ? Maybe they are just commenting....I didn't vote for Elk, Ram's Horn was my favourite, but whatever I get I won't be bitterly saying that Elk is crap I told you we should've had Ram's Horn:D

Buck offers a good guarantee and those with sub par knives will get satisfaction, patience is all that's required. Talking of which....

Will I get mine though???:eek: E-mail still says a package is being prepared on 6th December (sounds like a bomb being primed :D) and that no tracking is available....o_O I am looking forward to it though
Take a deep breath, Will! ;) EDIT: (I forgot about your injured ribs):confused: I hope you get a good one, Buddy! Can’t wait to see some pictures. -Lance

Last edited:
Mine was supposed to land tomorrow. I just decided to check the mail (I remember I never checked yesterday) and to my surprise there was a box from SKBlades!

I feel like I won the lotto in the elk department! It’s beautiful on both sides and matches fairly well. I don’t have any gaps and both blades have nice pulls and snap close.

The only negative thing I can say is the clip point blade doesn’t snap open, but at least the sheep’s foot does. It doesn’t make it any less useable and this one will be going right into my pocket.

Thank you so much Stephen, Buck Knives and Bladeforums for such a great knife. Merry Christmas!

DAB832EA-B011-40ED-A3CB-C7A75AB1E5C0.jpeg DFDFCD6F-C03F-4FE9-B1C1-F6C8AD92D95B.jpeg 6F534A8C-3647-47C7-B67D-DF3137B05100.jpeg 464C9E5C-8450-40AA-8E86-D2A81675E6F4.jpeg D9767CDA-4AB4-4EE9-9386-5EE2F0B92BF4.jpeg

PS much like I anticipated, my pup is obsessed with it and thinks it’s a toy for her. I need to keep it out of sight. And yes, she is wearing a Christmas sweater in Hawaii.

Back