Forum Knife Updates and comments

Just received. In a word...Spectacular! It feels, looks, and act like a Custom. The Elk Covers are different on both sides, but with awesome character. Lacking a caliper, I don’t have the ultra critical view that some have.:) In hand, it feels like someone described as a “working knife.” I am grateful for both the patience and hard work of Stephen, as well as the skill of Buck’s Custom Shop. I have never considered acquiring any Bucks. This has changed my view completely. Kudos. A Happy and Safe Holiday to all. Lest I forget, thank you also to ”Anonymous” for the page. It was the cherry on top.
View attachment 1035430

View attachment 1035431

Really spectacular covers!

My two examples are due to arrive today, and I'm at least a little nervous as my time to open the box and play the elk/F&F lottery draws near.

Regardless of covers, gaps, etc., I'll be happy to own another Forum Knife. If I want to buy a knife without unknowns I will buy it directly from a dealer or another Forum participant. That said, I buy the annual Traditional Blade Forums knife to celebrate being part of this community more than any want or need for the specific model. Thanks to all of you that make this place great, and especially to Steve at SK Blades and Buck for making this happen.

Just received. In a word...Spectacular! It feels, looks, and act like a Custom. The Elk Covers are different on both sides, but with awesome character. Lacking a caliper, I don’t have the ultra critical view that some have.:) In hand, it feels like someone described as a “working knife.” I am grateful for both the patience and hard work of Stephen, as well as the skill of Buck’s Custom Shop. I have never considered acquiring any Bucks. This has changed my view completely. Kudos. A Happy and Safe Holiday to all. Lest I forget, thank you also to ”Anonymous” for the page. It was the cherry on top.
View attachment 1035430

View attachment 1035431
The matching juxtaposition. The refinement of the FFG with those long pulls, and the rugged unpredictability of that antler example. Perfectly stunning. This might be favorite so far!

Mine was supposed to land tomorrow. I just decided to check the mail (I remember I never checked yesterday) and to my surprise there was a box from SKBlades!

I feel like I won the lotto in the elk department! It’s beautiful on both sides and matches fairly well. I don’t have any gaps and both blades have nice pulls and snap close.

The only negative thing I can say is the clip point blade doesn’t snap open, but at least the sheep’s foot does. It doesn’t make it any less useable and this one will be going right into my pocket.

Thank you so much Stephen, Buck Knives and Bladeforums for such a great knife. Merry Christmas!

View attachment 1035194 View attachment 1035195 View attachment 1035196 View attachment 1035197 View attachment 1035198

PS much like I anticipated, my pup is obsessed with it and thinks it’s a toy for her. I need to keep it out of sight. And yes, she is wearing a Christmas sweater in Hawaii.
Sure is a nice example, @Wharn . Maybe the main will "snap" open after it wears in a bit!!

The matching juxtaposition. The refinement of the FFG with those long pulls, and the rugged unpredictability of that antler example. Perfectly stunning. This might be favorite so far!
:thumbsup: cigarrodog... That's some fine elk. Great pics too
Thanks to both of you...Stephen, I know it’s the luck of the draw, but right now I’m applying Tiger Balm, liberally, to sooth the soreness from the area of my body that I keep pinching. I hope everybody, in the end, appreciates the goodness of this project, as much as their 301s.

Maybe the main will "snap" open after it wears in a bit!!
Mine has that same "feature." However, other than having to push it all the way to full open, it actually confers a benefit in that the little extra tightness at full open also involves a little extra effort to start it closing. As slipjoints go, it's like having a little extra insurance against closing if it bangs against something the wrong way. I've gotten to where I kind of like it that way. If they could figure out what causes it, they could market it as "New, Close-Guard Friction Fit! Specially designed to tighten up at full open to save your fingers!" :D

Mine has that same "feature." However, other than having to push it all the way to full open, it actually confers a benefit in that the little extra tightness at full open also involves a little extra effort to start it closing. As slipjoints go, it's like having a little extra insurance against closing if it bangs against something the wrong way. I've gotten to where I kind of like it that way. If they could figure out what causes it, they could market it as "New, Close-Guard Friction Fit! Specially designed to tighten up at full open to save your fingers!" :D
Wiggle it side to side, like some people do to check for play. :D
I had to push my Sheepsfoot open at first. Now it's perfect.

Last edited:
View attachment 1035430

View attachment 1035431
Wow! Custom level? Now that is a compliment that tops all others! Glad you got a truly exceptional example. That is real praise to put in that category.

Here are my 2018 Forum knives. One to keep, and one to gift in order to spread the joy of traditional knives:
uyfNhEI.jpg

ZXvpXw5.jpg

Here’s mine. The mark side stag is a little funky, like a chunk flaked out, but I can live with it. The pile side is fine. A little lazy opening on the clip, but the coping is fine. Thanks to SK for all the effort.
Dave
0sS9uQD.jpg

Back