GEC #35 Churchill Thread

hmm mine was definitely ok, i just opened and closed it around 50 times and it feels decent, not too heavy and not too light

I also flushed the joints and had a slight improvement as well. The sheepfoot has great snap on it. Hopefully the clip will get a bit better with time....

My hummingbird acrylic 35 has adequate action--neither blade is as snappy as the other patterns I own (15, 47, 74, 78, 77), except for maybe the 43. Nor do I find the equal end cigar pattern particularly appealing. I also didn't like how the secondary blade rode as high as it did originally. But, those are my only criticisms, and one of them (the high secondary) I fixed with a very painless modification.

On the plus side, the action on the cam tangs for both blades is buttery smooth, the slim profile matched with the broader width of the 35 frame make it both easy on the pocket and filling in the hand. The clip blade is very appealing to the eye and is thinly ground. The sheepsfoot is extra thin and cuts like a laser. The knife just works without any problems. If you like using your pocket knife as well as looking at it, then the 35 Churchill is a perfect choice.

i foresee myself doing that kick mod before it goes in the pocket.
I foresee this being the knife that converts you to a lover of multi-blades. :p
Its definitely on the weak side but it has just enough snap for it to not be irritating to the point that I don't like the knife. I bought a 56 few months back and loved everything about it but I had to push it all the way home when I closed it and it ended up making me hate the knife. Anyway, the Churchill is awesome, love it, fondled be it all day at my press at work. The color of the Micarta is just classy, and it has the smoothest transitions of possibly any gec I've owned. The hafting is beautiful, the fittment of the blades is perfection, nice symmetry on the grinds and swedging. if they'd had the spring tension dialed in better on the clip it seriously would've been a 10 of 10 specimen. Honestly that's been my biggest complaint on my last few gec's is the spring tension, they need to tighten em up. I know it's hard to please everybody all the time, but there isn't anybody who likes a soggy backspring.
The pull is on the lighter side, but I wouldn't call it 'soggy.' It makes a decent snap sound when opening and closing. I always lower blades on my knives, rather than letting 'em snap shut, but as long as I don't have to push the blade to close, I'm happy.

I foresee this being the knife that converts you to a lover of multi-blades. :p

The pull is on the lighter side, but I wouldn't call it 'soggy.' It makes a decent snap sound when opening and closing. I always lower blades on my knives, rather than letting 'em snap shut, but as long as I don't have to push the blade to close, I'm happy.

it is funny you say that, the second i took it outta of the tube to inspect i had already begun considering ways to have this modified to a single blade. unfortunately or fortunately i saw the folly of my ways as any modification would require a substantial investment due to the parts involved and possibly making a new blade. i guess i hope they make a single blade 35 some day. i even begun a search for other gec equal ends models that are of a smaller size but the 35 does seem fine for the most part.

it is funny you say that, the second i took it outta of the tube to inspect i had already begun considering ways to have this modified to a single blade. unfortunately or fortunately i saw the folly of my ways as any modification would require a substantial investment due to the parts involved and possibly making a new blade. i guess i hope they make a single blade 35 some day. i even begun a search for other gec equal ends models that are of a smaller size but the 35 does seem fine for the most part.

Don't go crazy now. Just file that kick down nice and low, where you can juuust get the nail nick, and you'll have a great single-blade knife with a spare blade included at no extra charge.

When I started getting back into more traditional cutlery, I thought I would only like single blade variants. After years of carrying a modern folder with only one blade, it seemed a natural segue at the time. However, my curiosity and enthusiasm has gotten the better of me and I've tried several patterns since and I now have a strong preference for 2-blade knives.

I credit the Churchill for tossing me over the edge, it really is a superb knife.

After a good cleaning both my ebony and stag have adequate snap on both blades. The stag having slightly better. They both keep getting smoother. This knife just works for me with its blade configuration and very pocketable dimensions. I'm really looking forward to another run with the different scale options.

Some of these banana bones have me going bananas! I love the ones with black specks and varying shades of yellow, so much depth.

I first fell in love with the 53/54s and enjoy their heft, strength, and snap. The 53's have the most pleasing resonating snap I've experience. The 53 T.K.s are a fav. When the Drover came out I thought, what a great compromise in pocket. I'm so glad it's not a 3.5'' knife. My Drover has broken in wonderfully and snap improved. My Churchill is getting there but still could use some umph. If the 35s had snap like the 53s I'd be broke. Both great platforms and both have their place. The 35s for when I fold a nail.

I flushed mine when new with mineral oil and it improved slightly (weak 5 to strong 5) but it's also a 100 x smoother :)

The #35 is a great pattern for use/carry :D

I have 4 35’s. They are all near perfect. The pull on mine are all unnoticeable and I use them all in rotation.
Love these 35’s!

Churchill... a Remarkable GEC
dqsmvcM.jpg

The single blade 78s are similar.

I used to be a single-blade lover, but now I'm quite the opposite. Tastes change.:) But there is the Northwoods Delta Jack, it's a single blade #35.

I used to be a single-blade lover, but now I'm quite the opposite. Tastes change.:) But there is the Northwoods Delta Jack, it's a single blade #35.

its a shame it only comes in that weird blade shape, wharncliffey like

Back