GEC #470123 Viper

2020 Arizona Ironwood (top) and 2023 Desert Ironwood (bottom). I’m glad they polished the wood, bolster and shield this time. That was a confusing decision not to on the last run. But I do like the previous run’s satin blade and blade etch, and I prefer the darker wood on my 2020 example. I think both shield fit the knives well.

6iAJbaP.jpg

Yeah it has some unique grain for sure! Thx 321Bandaid 321Bandaid and btb01 btb01 👊.

To your comment above about preferring the darker wood btb01 btb01 …you may already know this, but that ironwood will darken over time. I can maybe dig out a “fresh” vs now example later, but it’s crazy how much it can change.

Yeah it has some unique grain for sure! Thx 321Bandaid 321Bandaid and btb01 btb01 👊.

To your comment above about preferring the darker wood btb01 btb01 …you may already know this, but that ironwood will darken over time. I can maybe dig out a “fresh” vs now example later, but it’s crazy how much it can change.

Yeah, I know it has a tendency to do that. I have some pics of my 2020 Ironwood from when it first arrived, but then lighting is different so it’s hard to say. I haven’t carried that one, so it hasn’t darkened from use/pocket time. I do think it was significantly darker than the new one even when it was new, but then there’s quite a variation in the color and character of the examples from this run alone. Just the nature of the material. It certainly wasn’t a complaint, just a preference.

Here’s a group shot of the #47s I ended up with from this run.

xJqzRUn.jpg

The ebony came in yesterday, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed at first. It had the proud liners that a lot of other people have seen on these, but more annoying for me was the edge, which wasn’t straight and had what I can only describe as a bit of a recurve near the heel. I stewed about it a bit last night, then I sat down to fixing the edge this morning. I’m no expert sharpener, but it’s straight and it’ll cut.

VR9NRkR.jpg

Yeah, I know it has a tendency to do that. I have some pics of my 2020 Ironwood from when it first arrived, but then lighting is different so it’s hard to say. I haven’t carried that one, so it hasn’t darkened from use/pocket time. I do think it was significantly darker than the new one even when it was new, but then there’s quite a variation in the color and character of the examples from this run alone. Just the nature of the material. It certainly wasn’t a complaint, just a preference.

Here’s a group shot of the #47s I ended up with from this run.

xJqzRUn.jpg

The ebony came in yesterday, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed at first. It had the proud liners that a lot of other people have seen on these, but more annoying for me was the edge, which wasn’t straight and had what I can only describe as a bit of a recurve near the heel. I stewed about it a bit last night, then I sat down to fixing the edge this morning. I’m no expert sharpener, but it’s straight and it’ll cut.

VR9NRkR.jpg
Great work on the recovery of your edge Barrett.🔪👌 Just watched a video, I did not know there was such a problem with liners.😱

Last edited:
VR9NRkR.jpg
I've been told by almost everyone I know that I'm slightly OCD, even unrealistic at times. Whenever I notice a flaw in a GEC, I've learned to go grab one of my (fill in the blank) knives. Suddenly, the world seems right again.

Back