1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Oct 30, 2014.

1. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    It's natural. I've just carried it and used it for everything and let it age as it will.

Erik,

I still have the two-blade 77 spear. I've just been carrying the sheepfoot alot lately, it's also a huge favorite. They're the only Barlows I own now and sort of duke it out for the #1 / #2 spots among the dozen or so traditional pocket knives I have. :D

2. MJ71

MJ71

Mar 18, 2016
    Brian, that is a real beauty. It's on my bucket list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    I always enjoy coming across this pic of my Barlow the day I got it.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is just shy of a year and a half later.
    [​IMG]

4. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    Gotchya! I just noticed that it's been a while since I've seen you post it. I was wondering if I had missed something, but I'm glad to hear it's just taking a breather.
    How are you liking the new-ish sawcut handles? I know those old red slabs sure did tell a story, and I'd have been pretty bummed to have to switch em out for something pristine.
    Your Blackwood sheepsfoot is stunning as always!

5. Baldy McBalders

Baldy McBalders

Jun 28, 2014
    Thank you! It took a bit of horse trading to get it, but it was worth the effort.
    Brian

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Al and Ron :An up-date on my Old Red Saw Cut Bone vintage 2015 after about a year of almost dailey pocket carry .
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Harry

7. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Harry - She's looking good my friend! :thumbup: I haven't carried mine no where near that much. However it's still in the rotation. I believe that AL has us both beaten on pure character and patina. :eek: I'll have to get an update photo soon! :D

8. HST

HST

Apr 2, 2015
    Looking good, Harry.

I have to admit, the NF Barlow in clip point is in my top 3 favorite knives by GEC. I absolutely love the new clip on last year's run. The match strike is another detail that's makes it another home run.

I have an old mentor that's a hardened retired Army Lt. Colonel. He wouldn't carry a knife after retirement. Totes a gun everyday, but never a blade. I prodded him and tried to get him to like any knife - to no avail. One day I showed him my Linen Micarta #77 NF Barlow and he said, "This is just like my grandfather's knife!" Finally, I had a knife he actually touched and liked. For Christmas I gave him my never used Copperhead #77 '16. He carries it every day. I was so happy to find a knife that made him touch it, want one, and make him smile ear to ear.

[​IMG]

As you can see, he looks about as sour as we both are. Seriously, that's him happy. Haha.

I love the NF #77 Barlow!

Lift link likes this.
  9. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    A great many people have said that very same thing to me , but most , but not all , of them know nothing about the Brand of knife that Grandpa had . They just recognize the shape . My Dad always had a BARLOW but I never knew what brand until his last one and I have it .
    Great story HST !!! You gave him one heck of a knife . I have the Copperhead and the Red Jigged Bone and neither one has even cut anything . I bet if you gave him one in STAG , he would smile from ear to ear .

Harry

10. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with you Ron . Al showed his again a while back and his had a lot more of the Black worn off . His blade also had a lot more patina . I have found that I prefer my blades to have not so much patina . It is a matter of taste I guess . I have started to feel like this is the Barlow that I want in my RFP.
    I NEED ANOTHER RUN of these to happen , but not until after May .

Harry

11. HST

HST

Apr 2, 2015
    I only became aware of these knives last year, I am new to this "hobby." If Mike would've had it made in '16, I'd have gotten it.

I know there's others, but it bugs me to pay over fees and retail. I'll just wait.

I see you're quite the fan of stag and such - you always have excellent examples.

12. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with you on not wanting to pay the prices that the aftermarket wants to charge . The urge to buy can usually be satisfied with what GEC is building at the time or an Antique Shop foray . There are too many knives on my List that I do not have yet to want to make one guy rich .
    Yes I am a fan of Stag . It is my favorite handle material and I will usually have at least one in a pocket. I just received 2 more Stags today . That is the reason that I collect Northfield but not Tidioute. Thank you for your kind words on my Stag .

Harry

13. HST

HST

Apr 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

Had to break it out tonight for a cheat meal pic. I just love these knives.

Enjoy the weekend, Harry.

14. joker354

joker354 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Some of Bob's handy work...

[​IMG]

15. tdkfm

tdkfm

Oct 9, 2014
    I really hope the next run includes the two blade (clip/wharnie) with the new style clip blade. That would be a sweet knife

[​IMG]

16. Crossdraw

Crossdraw ~ Rob ~ USAF Retired ~ Platinum Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I would agree. The 771214 has alluded me... my favorite of all versions. Be nice to see some in this config back on the market, and the new clip would look nice paired with the wharnie. Those are some sweet 77s!

17. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Clip with backside Coping Long Matchstrike Pull, Brass liners, Nickel Silver Stamped Bolster?

JITDC likes this.
  18. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Yes please!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I'd love to see the new pinchable clip mated with a small coping blade!!! But to tell you the truth, the all steel construction is my biggest attraction to your 77 barlows. I'd hate to see that go away.

20. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Cutting chicken and steak has got a rainbow going on my #77...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk