GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Is that a natural patina or forced one.

Looks good either way.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

It's natural. I've just carried it and used it for everything and let it age as it will.

Erik,

I still have the two-blade 77 spear. I've just been carrying the sheepfoot alot lately, it's also a huge favorite. They're the only Barlows I own now and sort of duke it out for the #1 / #2 spots among the dozen or so traditional pocket knives I have. :D

I agree! I have many fine knives, but I do think that this may be my favorite.
Thanks,
Brian
af040b4ea1c85ac61ca91081167ce3c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Brian, that is a real beauty. It's on my bucket list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's natural. I've just carried it and used it for everything and let it age as it will.

Erik,

I still have the two-blade 77 spear. I've just been carrying the sheepfoot alot lately, it's also a huge favorite. They're the only Barlows I own now and sort of duke it out for the #1 / #2 spots among the dozen or so traditional pocket knives I have. :D

Gotchya! I just noticed that it's been a while since I've seen you post it. I was wondering if I had missed something, but I'm glad to hear it's just taking a breather.
How are you liking the new-ish sawcut handles? I know those old red slabs sure did tell a story, and I'd have been pretty bummed to have to switch em out for something pristine.
Your Blackwood sheepsfoot is stunning as always!

Al and Ron :An up-date on my Old Red Saw Cut Bone vintage 2015 after about a year of almost dailey pocket carry .

Harry

Al and Ron :An up-date on my Old Red Saw Cut Bone vintage 2015 after about a year of almost dailey pocket carry .

Harry

Harry - She's looking good my friend! :thumbup: I haven't carried mine no where near that much. However it's still in the rotation. I believe that AL has us both beaten on pure character and patina. :eek: I'll have to get an update photo soon! :D

Looking good, Harry.

I have to admit, the NF Barlow in clip point is in my top 3 favorite knives by GEC. I absolutely love the new clip on last year's run. The match strike is another detail that's makes it another home run.

I have an old mentor that's a hardened retired Army Lt. Colonel. He wouldn't carry a knife after retirement. Totes a gun everyday, but never a blade. I prodded him and tried to get him to like any knife - to no avail. One day I showed him my Linen Micarta #77 NF Barlow and he said, "This is just like my grandfather's knife!" Finally, I had a knife he actually touched and liked. For Christmas I gave him my never used Copperhead #77 '16. He carries it every day. I was so happy to find a knife that made him touch it, want one, and make him smile ear to ear.

4bcd201e7f4f59bcc0cf53ac609e1943.jpg

As you can see, he looks about as sour as we both are. Seriously, that's him happy. Haha.

I love the NF #77 Barlow!

Looking good, Harry.

I have to admit, the NF Barlow in clip point is in my top 3 favorite knives by GEC. I absolutely love the new clip on last year's run. The match strike is another detail that's makes it another home run.

I have an old mentor that's a hardened retired Army Lt. Colonel. He wouldn't carry a knife after retirement. Totes a gun everyday, but never a blade. I prodded him and tried to get him to like any knife - to no avail. One day I showed him my Linen Micarta #77 NF Barlow and he said, "This is just like my grandfather's knife!" Finally, I had a knife he actually touched and liked. For Christmas I gave him my never used Copperhead #77 '16. He carries it every day. I was so happy to find a knife that made him touch it, want one, and make him smile ear to ear.

4bcd201e7f4f59bcc0cf53ac609e1943.jpg

As you can see, he looks about as sour as we both are. Seriously, that's him happy. Haha.

I love the NF #77 Barlow!

A great many people have said that very same thing to me , but most , but not all , of them know nothing about the Brand of knife that Grandpa had . They just recognize the shape . My Dad always had a BARLOW but I never knew what brand until his last one and I have it .
Great story HST !!! You gave him one heck of a knife . I have the Copperhead and the Red Jigged Bone and neither one has even cut anything . I bet if you gave him one in STAG , he would smile from ear to ear .

Harry

Harry - She's looking good my friend! :thumbup: I haven't carried mine no where near that much. However it's still in the rotation. I believe that AL has us both beaten on pure character and patina. :eek: I'll have to get an update photo soon! :D

I agree with you Ron . Al showed his again a while back and his had a lot more of the Black worn off . His blade also had a lot more patina . I have found that I prefer my blades to have not so much patina . It is a matter of taste I guess . I have started to feel like this is the Barlow that I want in my RFP.
I NEED ANOTHER RUN of these to happen , but not until after May .

Harry

A great many people have said that very same thing to me , but most , but not all , of them know nothing about the Brand of knife that Grandpa had . They just recognize the shape . My Dad always had a BARLOW but I never knew what brand until his last one and I have it .
Great story HST !!! You gave him one heck of a knife . I have the Copperhead and the Red Jigged Bone and neither one has even cut anything . I bet if you gave him one in STAG , he would smile from ear to ear .

Harry

I only became aware of these knives last year, I am new to this "hobby." If Mike would've had it made in '16, I'd have gotten it.

I know there's others, but it bugs me to pay over fees and retail. I'll just wait.

I see you're quite the fan of stag and such - you always have excellent examples.

I only became aware of these knives last year, I am new to this "hobby." If Mike would've had it made in '16, I'd have gotten it.

I know there's others, but it bugs me to pay over fees and retail. I'll just wait.

I see you're quite the fan of stag and such - you always have excellent examples.

I agree with you on not wanting to pay the prices that the aftermarket wants to charge . The urge to buy can usually be satisfied with what GEC is building at the time or an Antique Shop foray . There are too many knives on my List that I do not have yet to want to make one guy rich .
Yes I am a fan of Stag . It is my favorite handle material and I will usually have at least one in a pocket. I just received 2 more Stags today . That is the reason that I collect Northfield but not Tidioute. Thank you for your kind words on my Stag .

Harry

a34cda00a39a6b87b0a44bead3e7b66b.jpg

Had to break it out tonight for a cheat meal pic. I just love these knives.

Enjoy the weekend, Harry.

I really hope the next run includes the two blade (clip/wharnie) with the new style clip blade. That would be a sweet knife

29ac1fa63aac0f49c08a385c18cd21f3.jpg

I would agree. The 771214 has alluded me... my favorite of all versions. Be nice to see some in this config back on the market, and the new clip would look nice paired with the wharnie. Those are some sweet 77s!

Clip with backside Coping Long Matchstrike Pull, Brass liners, Nickel Silver Stamped Bolster?

I'd love to see the new pinchable clip mated with a small coping blade!!! But to tell you the truth, the all steel construction is my biggest attraction to your 77 barlows. I'd hate to see that go away.

55e6dd3c7ea310c94773baf4f84fb727.jpg

Cutting chicken and steak has got a rainbow going on my #77...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back