GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

.... So be careful what you ask for. If you ask for a green sawcut barlow you just might get it :eek:

I really like the jigged red bone from the last run. I'd love to see more of that cover.

Has anybody ever attempted sawcut micarta?

Last edited:
Clip with backside Coping Long Matchstrike Pull, Brass liners, Nickel Silver Stamped Bolster?

I like the way nickel silver patinas, but I too find the all steel construction attractive. The set-up with the 2 blade description is on point. Last year's NF 77 Barlow is one of my favorite knives - loved the new clip and match-strike pull - and the 77 pattern is a favorite from GEC. I can see no wrong with your NF Barlow; however, like others, I think, I'd prefer all steel. Most importantly, IMO, is the new clip used last year. Whatever you decide, I will want one or some regardless.

I forgot to add that like others, I found the red bone from last year's run to be my favorite of all, but the green was my favorite color.

I think pony or jolly rogers jigging would be a great change. I'm for Frontier or Appaloosa bone for smooth bone options. I think those bones would look good on a Barlow.

Clip with backside Coping Long Matchstrike Pull, Brass liners, Nickel Silver Stamped Bolster?

I know I'm probably going to be one of the few to request not rerunning the clip blade from last year, but I like how you have switched up the blade configuration each year. Clip last year, Spear the year before.... I'd like to see the Sheepsfoot make it's annual return. Last years run was great, but that was last year. I'd request you consider rerunning the Spear next year, and a Clip the year after.

I know I'm probably going to be one of the few to request not rerunning the clip blade from last year, but I like how you have switched up the blade configuration each year. Clip last year, Spear the year before.... I'd like to see the Sheepsfoot make it's annual return. Last years run was great, but that was last year. I'd request you consider rerunning the Spear next year, and a Clip the year after.

I had a poll on facebook and the sheepfoot came in behind a "tanto flipper" model. It was my first inclination as well - but you are in a lonely room right now....

Tanto flipper sounds like a winner!

With all the beer scouts that were sold, I'm not sure another sheepsfoot knife would have mass appeal right now. Then again, if it followed a spear run who knows.

By the way, I get no compensation from Mike for all the product advice I provide.

Tanto flipper sounds like a winner!

With all the beer scouts that were sold, I'm not sure another sheepsfoot knife would have mass appeal right now. Then again, if it followed a spear run who knows.

With the Roundhead coming, a spear might be too much spear for the year (rhyme). Or is a spear blade on a knife like cowbell in the recording studio?

not sure if this is sacrilegious, but aside from the northwoods madison has gec ever stuck a drop point on a barlow?

I have a barlow that BigBiscuit modified from a spey to a spear. I think it has a little droppointesque look to it. IMO it rocks (cue cowbell).

I hate facebook, I didn't like the green barlow... I'm pouting lol.

kirk1.gif

Long pull, wharncliffe? Smooth wood covers? Or am I totally nuts and non-traditional?

(Not especially helpful on the topic, but this has been an interesting read.)

I had a poll on facebook and the sheepfoot came in behind a "tanto flipper" model. It was my first inclination as well - but you are in a lonely room right now....

How about a Sabre Clip or the Muskrat Clip from the 74 Mustang? That would appease the facegroup folks and those of us that look forward to new variations of the NF barlow.

Im partial to the pinchable clip from last run, i think its just about perfect. As far as handles...im thinking anything in blood red and some Blackwood.

Back