GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I'm with you there. I think a full set is gonna be nearly impossible. Probably hard to get any sympathy there though, lol. Kinda sucks for us who have been faithfully buying since day one. oh well.
I was the same as you. Every tablet, pc, phone, etc... in the house was loaded with CK website. Ready to go. Ck is the reason why I have checked my texts instantly for the last few years. I pulled over on the interstate to get in on the 15/74 run in stainless a few years ago. End of an era, I guess:)

Now? All different. In the name of "fairness"??
Sorry if that misses the mark, for me.

I think there's plenty of us that feel the same way. I go back and forth between being happy with what I have, and sad that I won't be able to continue to collect all of them. I also sometimes feel like it's an end of an era, but it's hard to tell how it will work out. It will surely be tough to collect all of them. Either you will need deep pockets and try your luck on the bay or start eyeing some of your rare knives to offer on the trade forum. If I don't get any from the lottery I think it will justify getting something I have been eyeing with the funds reserved for the 77 Barlow. I will need a therapy knife replacement for my grief of not getting a 77 o_O

I think there will be two distinct camps on the lottery:

• Those who will hate it because they always had pretty good luck during the previous “free for all” format
  • Those who will love it because they couldn’t be online the second they were announced and always missed out. On another note - if this group of people do not get selected in the lottery, they will also hate it
Bottom line is this: No matter how many are made or what you have to do to get them, they will all be sold. Just my opinion, which is worth what ya gave for it - not a darn thing. ;)

Yup, it's like complaining about the weather. Not much you can do about it. On that note, I keep an eye on the for sale forum and have been thinking you're smart to snatch up what you can from there now. I think the lottery is what's going to push the 77 barlow up to TC level prices by the end of the year. In that sense we are lucky to be able to even have a chance to get one from a solid manufacture and great dealer. Mike's choices of material and design for these is what has made them so appealing.. and that's a good thing for everybody in our hobby.

Since we are somewhat talking about collecting. Anybody know what the rarest 77 barlows are? I know from the last run the red jigged bone had the least made out of the group. I can go back and sort it out by looking at the production totals, but figure there's someone here that might know off the top of their head.. ?

After 2 years of waiting I was excited to see the 77 Barlows on the production schedule. Hope to see some in production pictures in the next 2-3 weeks. A few in production pictures were posted of the 43, and the 77 is next on the production list!

I'm anxious about how the lottery is going to pan out for me. I've been a bit more excited about 77 Barlow runs in the past because I knew I had a decent chance at getting one. I feel like I have a high chance of getting none this round. I guess I will just need to wait and see how it goes.

Did Mike ever say what wood he was going with?

Some pictures - because we like pictures :)

ILsgmQS.png

puw5vcZ.png

Ironwood.

cbr1000 cbr1000 if you pull up the early reserve page on CK, the wood option is listed as ironwood.

I can understand the collectors point of view about how scoring one of each will be difficult. I'll put in for the lottery and if I score one and am not loving the knife I will try to pass it along to someone who missed out on that version. I don't own one of these so I'm anxious to get my hands on it but I'm not convinced I'll like the secondary coping blade. Maybe I'll be blown away- they sure are gorgeous knives and perfectly sized.

Yup, it's like complaining about the weather. Not much you can do about it. On that note, I keep an eye on the for sale forum and have been thinking you're smart to snatch up what you can from there now. I think the lottery is what's going to push the 77 barlow up to TC level prices by the end of the year. In that sense we are lucky to be able to even have a chance to get one from a solid manufacture and great dealer. Mike's choices of material and design for these is what has made them so appealing.. and that's a good thing for everybody in our hobby.
Agreed!! Mike has done a great job. He is my go to dealer. Times two.:)

Since we are somewhat talking about collecting. Anybody know what the rarest 77 barlows are? I know from the last run the red jigged bone had the least made out of the group. I can go back and sort it out by looking at the production totals, but figure there's someone here that might know off the top of their head.. ?

I have 1 of 2 made from Olivewood trimmings from the Mount of Olives. Is that good?

I have 1 of 2 made from Olivewood trimmings from the Mount of Olives. Is that good?

I’d say that’s pretty good :thumbsup:

77’s that I don’t see often are the Sambar Stag and Abalone from some of the earlier runs. I had a beautiful example in Stag, but never carried it and passed it along to one of our Canadien members who had a hard time finding one. I also once had a smooth white bone spear point which was gifted to a friend, haven’t seen many of those floating around but I don’t think any of the above mentioned were extremely limited.

That takes top spot for the lowest production NF Barlow and maybe the rarest GEC knife. Thanks for the pictures! Do you own both still or are they out in the world somewhere? Do you happen to have info on the top 5 lowest production? Abalone was mentioned earlier.. I bet its in the top 5.

I gave the other one away in some contest a few months ago. I have no idea what the lowest numbers were.

IMG_8126.JPG Hi All. Really enjoying the recent photos in this thread. Please forgive my ignorance, but could someone confirm whether the next run of 77s will all be two bladed or whether there will be any single blade options. I know the blades will be clip and sheepsfoot. Kinda hoping for a single blade option. Four of my favourites in the photo (edited from an image I posted elsewhere some time back). Best regards and thank to all. MJ.

triple black: Not just a great paint scheme on a car...

m69YNYi.jpg

Actually this older guy has two Red Sawcut! ;) Here they were when they first arrived and the clip after it has seen some use. :D Don’t pay any attention to that Honey Butter Sawcut Wharncliffe that snuck it’s way into the photo! :eek:
16581144300_6e8f68e91f_b_d.jpg

25279480247_9428485b39_b_d.jpg

This is what I initially got from that run Harry. Of course I have added the two I got from you at the rendezvous. I traded the Tan Clip for a Northwoods Blue Camel IRJ. I always regretted that trade, but then I sold that IRJ for a Big Biscuit benefit sale. I new then it was meant to be and I never looked back. :)
16631451206_e2faec1984_b_d.jpg

The best part of the last run was that the edges on the micarta were not radius-ed. :thumbsup: I'm really hoping this next run will see no radius-ed heads, especially on the Ironwood and micarta. (fingers crossed).

yVWoaBj.jpg

These 2 are from 2016 , which was the last run made . These are the first pictures that I took of them . My guess is that the same blades will be in the next run . Clips that are Pinchable with Matchstrike Long Pulls .

Side by side comparison of the older style blades with the blades in the 2016 version .

Harry

View attachment 848441 Hi All. Really enjoying the recent photos in this thread. Please forgive my ignorance, but could someone confirm whether the next run of 77s will all be two bladed or whether there will be any single blade options. I know the blades will be clip and sheepsfoot. Kinda hoping for a single blade option. Four of my favourites in the photo (edited from an image I posted elsewhere some time back). Best regards and thank to all. MJ.

You guys are killing me!!

Back