GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Some times one blade is best,

one of my first barlows, purchased from the late bigbiscuit and the bone micarta, my favorite of the bunch from traumkommode traumkommode

WiPoqHq.jpg

1Y1N7Wk.jpg

I feel ya. You don’t see many of these stags showing up in the What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today? thread. :p I’ve never been able to force myself to pocket this baby.

fEzoZTBh.jpg

fawY8I2h.jpg

KJsQMNFh.jpg
I do not understand the term : " I've never been able to force myself to pocket this beautiful Stag Barlow " . That would have to be in my rotation .

Harry

What year did they do the single blade matchstriker pull in the green sawcut jigged bone?

Mike and Gec did a superb job on this years run ! I like the looks of them all but the red sawcut is just a classic .
I really like the looks of them too. The ironwood is gorgeous! I have to be honest though, had I gotten one I'd be pretty bummed that you can't pinch the main blade because of the seated height of the coping. I probably would have ended up selling mine because of that.

I really like the looks of them too. The ironwood is gorgeous! I have to be honest though, had I gotten one I'd be pretty bummed that you can't pinch the main blade because of the seated height of the coping. I probably would have ended up selling mine because of that.

Though a bit awkward you can pinch the main blade by pushing the secondary down while grabbing the main.

Not many traditional two blade jacks that can be pinched open. And I hope this is not yet another criteria that starts getting listed as something required from traditional makers. I am not even a huge fan of modern knives that must be pinched open, much less our sure enough traditionals.

It's not the height of the secondary, it's the existence of the secondary. I dropped the kick of my secondary pretty much as much as the blade can be dropped and still have effortless access to the nail nick and the clip point is only sometimes barely pinchable. I would think a two blade Jack would have to be much bigger and have a large/tall main blade and small/slender secondary to be pinchable.

Not many traditional two blade jacks that can be pinched open. And I hope this is not yet another criteria that starts getting listed as something required from traditional makers. I am not even a huge fan of modern knives that must be pinched open, much less our sure enough traditionals.

To which other criteria are you referring?

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that this clip point blade shape on this frame was specifically designed to be pinchable, and is actually often called the "pinchable clip", that makes it a point of discussion on this knife.

I for one don't care that it isn't pinchable. A knife being pinchable certainly makes it easier to use and more utilitarian, especially for those with short or weak nails, but it's not something I see as a deal maker/breaker.

If the USPS treats me right I should have my sawcut today. On a side note, I have seen so many images out there... Does CK ship out batches in alphabetical order of the purchasers name?

I find it ironic that we as traditional knife nuts provide a lot of feedback on the type of opening method we prefer (nail nick vs. long pull) when a new run of knives gets announced, then the first question we ask once they are received is “is it pinchable?” because we would prefer not to use the opening method we lobbied for lol

Back