GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I should have a double to go with these three match strike singles this afternoon. :D

33286785496_9691e68fd6_b_d.jpg

30034265954_0e022a6f85_b_d.jpg

Not many traditional two blade jacks that can be pinched open. And I hope this is not yet another criteria that starts getting listed as something required from traditional makers. I am not even a huge fan of modern knives that must be pinched open, much less our sure enough traditionals.

I won't lie. I consider it a big plus if a blade is pinchable. Easy openers are my friends.

Is it too early to start planning next years 77 run? Add an easy open notch to the 77 frame, with a nice "zuluesque" shaped pinchable spear blade, and a punch secondary. And if you throw a fixed bail onto it, you won't get any complaints from me.

6jjWZNB.jpg

But truly, Mike, great job on this year's 77's. It's an incredible run of knives. Maybe the best barlows yet made.

Not many traditional two blade jacks that can be pinched open. And I hope this is not yet another criteria that starts getting listed as something required from traditional makers. I am not even a huge fan of modern knives that must be pinched open, much less our sure enough traditionals.
Being pinchable is just a personal preferance for me and one aspect that ultimately will determine if I enjoy and use the knife or not. Out of pure utility I personally require any folding knife I own, traditional or modern, to be capable of being opened in multiple ways.

I don't have big sausage fingers either so its possible if I got one I wouldn't have an issue. I can easily pinch the main blade on my Case Bose Cattle Knife and it looks to have less real estate than these do. Maybe if the pinch people put an honest patina on theirs they won't have any problem. ;)

To which other criteria are you referring?

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that this clip point blade shape on this frame was specifically designed to be pinchable, and is actually often called the "pinchable clip", that makes it a point of discussion on this knife.

Dead center blades, Choil perfection, BTE Zen, Shields on Stag, etc. etc.
I too would like the perfect knife. But my concern is that we will eventually run traditional makers off completely or get them to where they just ignore the discussion altogether.

I am somewhat aware of the original intent and naming of the blade. But once I decided not to limit it to single blade knives, it was predictable that it would be no more pinchable than other multi-blade knives. Does that mean it should be called the "was named pinchable but now due to obvious circumstances is not an accurate adjective" clip? :D It can be a point of discussion, I just hate to see people aggravated (or at least anticipating they would have been).

Being pinchable is just a personal preferance for me and one aspect that ultimately will determine if I enjoy and use the knife or not.

It is a preference and for great and crazy reasons alike. For 40 years I have went straight for the pull, so it is cumbersome without one for me. Also, I am a bit "particular", so I don't want my fat thumb print right in the middle of my blade when I hand it to someone - but maybe that is the dealer in me.

Dead center blades, Choil perfection, BTE Zen, Shields on Stag, etc. etc.
I too would like the perfect knife. But my concern is that we will eventually run traditional makers off completely or get them to where they just ignore the discussion altogether.

I understand your perspective having to put up with so much attitude on your end of the deals. But I see all this as a sign of extremely passionate, engaged customers. Without customers like this, the market would not likely exist. Tradeoffs I suppose.

Man. I heart ironwood. I believe it is one of my love languages. My wife doesn't understand this. lol

Someone mentioned the primary is pinchable when the secondary is pushed down. There is definitely play in the secondary, but I haven't been able to grip the primary this way. Personally, I don't mind using my nail since it's a relatively light pull. In fact, I kind of like the fact that it can't easily be pinched open if it ends up in someone else's hands.

Anyway, not sure if this is more a reflection on my collection or the knife, but this is the nicest knife I've handled. The blade combo is great, the snap on both of my blades was great out of the tube, and fit and finish (after a little flitz on the bolsters) is perfect. It really feels significant in hand.

jX4GtoGr.jpg

It really feels significant in hand.

A 2-blade 77 Barlow is definitely significant. It's a good size knife to begin with, but that second layer and all-steel construction makes it a real heavy-weight contender. Too much for many people, but I personally love the solid feeling and excellent grip of the 2-blade models. Then again, I use a leather pouch to suspend it into my pocket. I don't think I'd want that bulky a knife in the bottom of my pocket.

A 2-blade 77 Barlow is definitely significant. It's a good size knife to begin with, but that second layer and all-steel construction makes it a real heavy-weight contender. Too much for many people, but I personally love the solid feeling and excellent grip of the 2-blade models. Then again, I use a leather pouch to suspend it into my pocket. I don't think I'd want that bulky a knife in the bottom of my pocket.
That’s one of the many reasons I use a leather slip for all my traditionals . It can make a bigger heavy knife feel half the weight and twice as comfortable. It also stops it or helps it from flipping around in your pocket in uncomfortable or annoying positions .

I understand your perspective having to put up with so much attitude on your end of the deals. But I see all this as a sign of extremely passionate, engaged customers. Without customers like this, the market would not likely exist. Tradeoffs I suppose.

Preaching to the choir - I am one of these customers. But the market existed well before everyone got so (your word) passionate / (my word) particular about knives. It has probably expanded a bit, but that is essentially my point. We are letting new requirements, brought by new customers, place requirements on factories that were never tooled to accommodate such. Just hope we can keep it rollin'

Flushed the joints, and man, what a difference. The action/walk and talk weren't the best out of the tube. Whole lotta dark grey came seeping out. It's perfect now.

27670292408_ba925b5590_b.jpg

It's good to see a few micarta pictures showing up, here and there. The other cover options are stealing all of the glamour shots.

It's good to see a few micarta pictures showing up, here and there. The other cover options are stealing all of the glamour shots.

Strange, too, I though Micarta might be the most plentiful of the bunch. Great golden butter hue.

Back