GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

I have an ironwood on the way. This question is a real quandary for me. Normally, everything I buy I put to use right away and this one does looks like the perfect EDC traditional knife. But at the same time, I know what this knife is worth to both collectors and on the secondary market (not that I'd ever contemplate flipping the knife).

Any one else have similar neurotic knife thoughts when it comes to potentially valuable knives?
You are not alone in those thoughts!

I LOVE my new camel bone barlow. I mean LOVE it. But I will probably save it for church and such, after all, if it was damaged or lost, how could I possibly replace it? This is my first 2 blade 77 and it is just fantastic. I hope CK sticks with this configuration for the next run.

Thanks for all the great pics everyone! It's been fun to watch these show up.

You are not alone in those thoughts!

I LOVE my new camel bone barlow. I mean LOVE it. But I will probably save it for church and such, after all, if it was damaged or lost, how could I possibly replace it? This is my first 2 blade 77 and it is just fantastic. I hope CK sticks with this configuration for the next run.

Thanks for all the great pics everyone! It's been fun to watch these show up.
Yeah I thought about the lost knife scenario, especially given my propensity to "forget where I put those car keys/wallet/kid/coat/dog/remote." But then, I decided over a beer or two that this is pretty much the ultimate EDC traditional for me and it's a Barlow.

I'm putting it to use starting tomorrow and leaving it in my pocket for a month straight. What the heck, only live once and can't take it with you, right?

Just received today and out for couple photos. The camel bone has perfect W&T on both blades and the micarta needs a good flushing. Nonetheless thankful and lucky to receive such beautiful knives to add to my collection. Great job knifeswapper knifeswapper and GEC!!

YP5yyrq.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I thought about the lost knife scenario, especially given my propensity to "forget where I put those car keys/wallet/kid/coat/dog/remote." But then, I decided over a beer or two that this is pretty much the ultimate EDC traditional for me and it's a Barlow.

I'm putting it to use starting tomorrow and leaving it in my pocket for a month straight. What the heck, only live once and can't take it with you, right?

I felt the exact same way when I first got my canvas micarta spearpoint 77. It was quite valuable, yet so absolutely perfect for my use. I carried it for months on end, and I’ve never once regretting using it. I’ve had knives that I’ve regretted storing away, and knives that I’ve regretted selling and trading. But I don’t think I’ve ever regretted the decision to use a knife.

Just received today and out for couple photos. The camel bone has perfect W&T on both blades and the micarta needs a good flushing. Nonetheless thankful and lucky to receive such beautiful knives to add to my collection. Great job knifeswapper knifeswapper and GEC!!

YP5yyrq.jpg

Gorgeous photo. You really captured the grain on that micarta!!!

Well my mail run today delivered something that I really didn’t believe I would ever own. Thanks to Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper and the fine folks at Great Eastern Cutlery for these beautiful Barlow’s. Due to hesitation or indecision by some who had guaranteed reservations for the Elderberry Camel Bone my standby reservation turned into this beauty you see here! I have absolutely zero complaints. The walk and talk and the fit and finish is typical Northfield quality. I quickly took these photos to share tonight.

27678834538_aea45d2d60_b_d.jpg

40837315534_ee68c6d451_b_d.jpg

I don't mind flippers. I'm kinda a free market guy, and nobody is holding a gun to the head of the buyer. BUT (you knew it was coming).

Someone on the big auction site has two #77s up for a very high price. My problem is that they got two. Some people didn't get any, and they got two, and they are flipping them.
I hope they don't sell.
All that said.... I still like the lottery more than the big drop.
Rant is over.....

YP5yyrq.jpg
That is a beautiful pair of 77's and an exceptional photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations! :D From what I am seeing, and just my opinion, the Micarta are some of the best lookers from this run! :eek: Beautiful grain and well captured in your photo! :D

I don't mind flippers. I'm kinda a free market guy, and nobody is holding a gun to the head of the buyer. BUT (you knew it was coming).

Someone on the big auction site has two #77s up for a very high price. My problem is that they got two. Some people didn't get any, and they got two, and they are flipping them.
I hope they don't sell.
Rant is over.....
the CK lottery is good, but how about something like a limit to 2 knives or so - I'm certain such a limit will not squash demand - and will give access to another 100 or so buyers and collectors and newbies - just saying

Well my mail run today delivered something that I really didn’t believe I would ever own. Thanks to Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper and the fine folks at Great Eastern Cutlery for these beautiful Barlow’s. Due to hesitation or indecision by some who had guaranteed reservations for the Elderberry Camel Bone my standby reservation turned into this beauty you see here! I have absolutely zero complaints. The walk and talk and the fit and finish is typical Northfield quality. I quickly took these photos to share tonight.

27678834538_aea45d2d60_b_d.jpg

40837315534_ee68c6d451_b_d.jpg
Congrats to you my friend for finally getting one to your door . That is a nice Rose color , as many of the other ones shown are . I was expecting more of a purple tint in it . IMO I think those Elderberries came out pretty nice .

Harry

No No No No No.......
IMG_20180418_165539 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Whew....
IMG_20180418_165714 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

All is well. I love the wood on this example, and both blades walk and talk out of the tube.
IMG_20180418_170209 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180418_170218 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180418_170240 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Although my collection is peanuts compared to some, I have purchased maybe 10-12 GEC knives and own many more from other makers and eras. These three are my top favorites, and this new 77 my be the King of them all. I just keep staring at it.
IMG_20180418_211607 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

They are.

I missed them as well. Make sure you order medium-wide.
When adding the slip during the knife purchase I did not notice a option for size. I take it Mike picks the appropriate slip for the knife?

When adding the slip during the knife purchase I did not notice a option for size. I take it Mike picks the appropriate slip for the knife?
He does add the correct size if you order them together, but if you order separately then you should specify size.

Don’t ask me how I know. :D

I hope they don't sell.
Rant is over.....
Agree, agree and agree!

Back