GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

A long post, and I forgot what my point was.
If I’d been as busy as you over the last couple weeks, with the 77’s and teardrop SFO’s, I know I’d have trouble staying on point as well!:D
Thanks for all you do!

I just got my ironwood out of the mailbox. This knife couldn’t have come on a more special day. My wife and I finalized the adoption of our little girl this morning.

1178D5C1-164F-4053-A561-162FF197C708.jpg
Congrats, sir! That's so awesome. And, I expect that knife will never leave your ownership. Talk about a fantastic memory to tie it to.

Dead center blades, Choil perfection, BTE Zen, Shields on Stag, etc. etc.
I too would like the perfect knife. But my concern is that we will eventually run traditional makers off completely or get them to where they just ignore the discussion altogether.

I am somewhat aware of the original intent and naming of the blade. But once I decided not to limit it to single blade knives, it was predictable that it would be no more pinchable than other multi-blade knives. Does that mean it should be called the "was named pinchable but now due to obvious circumstances is not an accurate adjective" clip? :D It can be a point of discussion, I just hate to see people aggravated (or at least anticipating they would have been).

Like sharpening choils? I've never seen a finger choil on a traditional. What's BTE Zen? I like stag without shields. I forget if that's the en vogue view point or not.

Do you think it's that people are actually more particular, or that they're more able to share their tastes/concerns/etc?

It could be called the "match strike clip point" or "updated clip point"

Well, I dropped mine on a hard time bathroom floor today :/

I guess I'll chalk it up to: the bolster did its job

wxMsfwe.jpg

knifeswapper knifeswapper

It bears repeating how thankful I, and many others, are for your efforts to get these 77s produced. Despite the pickiness or curmudgeonly conversation that sometimes (always?!) accompanies the reception of a new run of knives, these beauties are superb and seem to me to well represent traditional knives and knife-making.

Without business men such as yourself to serve, customers wouldn't get to enjoy such fine cutlery. So thanks again, and again, and again!

Last edited:
xXWAriu.jpg xo1dYnX.jpg eJ0eEMm.jpg
Got my Blood Red Sawcut in yesterday and its a beautiful knife. My first two blade #77. The color is great but the mark side almost looks like the elderberry in some spots. The action is really nice but the pull is a little lighter than my other two NF 77s. All in all i cant stop looking at it because of the beautiful red color and i had to put it in my pocket for a few hours today, thanks Mike and GEC for another awesome knife!

My only complaint so far is that mine seems to be jammed up in the Akron regional facility for another overnight before making a few more stops on it’s way to me. I went home to check hoping the tracking just hadn’t updated, since the USPS estimate was for today. Hopefully tomorrow. I hope Mike fixes this issue for the post office before the next run.

That is awesome. Congratulations! The knife is beautiful too!
Thanks and thanks. It’s one of the standbys, it may be a little darker than most but I like the swirling dark grain of it. It matches a bookshelf ornament my grandfather bought me in Mexico.

Congrats, sir! That's so awesome. And, I expect that knife will never leave your ownership. Talk about a fantastic memory to tie it to.
It might leave my ownership one day but only when I feel my daughter can respect and appreciate it.

IMG_20180418_165238.jpg
Just got my Blood Red Sawcut #77 today. I'm very thankful I made it on standby, and that there was one available to me.

The action on the main blade is excellent, and the sheepfoot isn't too far behind. I can tell a good flushing should fix that right up.

All in all, this is my favorite #77 so far, and although I was hoping a little more for an Elderberry, I couldn't be happier with it.

Thank you knifeswapper knifeswapper for the great knife, and all the trouble you go through to make as many people happy as possible.

Ok, I can’t quit fiddl’n with it. Feels great in the hand, pull on the main is stiff, pull on the sheepsfoot is good, wish the sheepsfoot was wider/more substantial but it’s none the less useful, and the micarta (not my first choice) is very nice with almost a burnt orange hue about it (Hook ‘em).
I think this one gets a real edge and will live in the pocket for awhile. Never thought I’d say this but Mike may have just converted me into a Barlow fan between this and the shuffler.
D38C99D2-7AE9-443B-93C1-B83C55E7A2E4.jpeg

Got my red sawcut in today with the red slip. I’m very pleased with both, the slip looks better in hand than the site photo... almost looks pink there.

The imgur site is not working well for me anymore. Any suggestions on a site I can upload and share here?

Thanks

Got my red sawcut in today with the red slip. I’m very pleased with both, the slip looks better in hand than the site photo... almost looks pink there.

The imgur site is not working well for me anymore. Any suggestions on a site I can upload and share here?

Thanks
I use tinypic dot com. Upload photo,copy link,insert into text box here.

Back