1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GEC Cuban Cigar Patterns #53 & #54

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Modoc ED, Jun 10, 2018.

1. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Great job to both Jeff and Logan!!:cool::cool::cool:

Dave

L.H.S likes this.
  2. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    I figured this is the place to ask this question:

I’m on a mission to collect one of every Stockman pattern GEC made in Natural Stag, and my whole collection to this point has the UN-X-LD shield inlay. I’ve seen a few 53 Stockmans in Natural Stag, but none with the shield.

We’re any shielded Natural Stag knives made?

neal70 likes this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Colin, the last #5383xx Cuban stockman knives with the muskrat clip main were made in 2011, before GEC came out with the Natural Stag. They just had Genuine, Burnt, and Elk stag back then.

knowtracks, neal70 and JohnDF like this.
  4. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    My only Natural Stag Stockman with a shield is this #811313.

NatStag81.jpg

5. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    Gotcha, I’ll aim for the “Genuine”, then. Thanks! I was never sure what the difference was between genuine, natural, and now Sambar Stag.

So did any of the genuine stags have Northfield shields?

6. Stropping Young Lad

Dec 11, 2012
    I’ve got the 82, 81, 68 (somehow) and 66 so far. I think I just need to hunt down a Maverick and a 53... unless I overlooked something along the way.

neal70 likes this.
  7. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Genuine stags were always shieldless. They made a tie tack out of the shield and included it in the tube.

8. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    @black mamba -so there were 3 models with awls? The HJ, Baron, And I assume SFO Cattleman’s? I have a mate with a yellow rose Baron, I’ve seen the HJs, but the Cattle Knife is new too me; very low numbers I’m guessing? Haven’t checked yet, but probably will after this, lol.
    Thanks, Neal

9. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    189 between Ulster and “Waldon”, lol, 100 and 89 respectively. Not bad then, they’re out there.:thumbsup::D:rolleyes:
    Thanks, Neal

10. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Cattle Rancher and Cattle Baron
    [​IMG]

11. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Here is a nice pair of the #54 HJs in bone and stag.

PrHJs_zps5468082b.jpg

Here's a trivia for ya: I believe this is the only Tidioute branded stag knife that GEC ever made besides 2nd or 3rd cuts, a #53 Cuban in Caribou stag. They made ten only.

Caribou53.jpg

JohnDF, Rockon75, Dschal and 2 others like this.
  12. jerryd6818

jerryd6818

Dec 28, 2006
    JohnDF, Dschal and knowtracks like this.