1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Great Inexpensive knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by peterbright, Oct 21, 2016.

1. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Talking about a Sebenza in a thread dedicated to inexpensive knives is a bit of a stretch and really off topic.

2. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    No its not. If $400 knives were inexpensive CRK wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. $400 is the weekly take home pay of someone earning $15 an hour. $400 is a new clothes washing machine, $400 is the grocery bill for a family of 4 for 2 weeks. $400 is new car tires, $400 is more than most peoples monthly car payment. $400 is a new handgun. Inexpensive is something you don't need to think about when you buy. Spending $400 is something almost nobody does regularly without careful consideration.

3. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Well said....

I think the Kershaw Cryo is a solid little knife for the money. And of course the best inexpensive knife in my opinion is the Buck 110.

4. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Agree!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hard to beat for the money

5. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    I don't spend much on knives. I agree with the prev post about the Buck 110 being one of the best "cheap" knives out there. Yesterday I went to buy one at a well known, found everywhere retailer, but they were out. instead I picked up this little guy for less than $30. Made in the USA, 420hc steel. Solid lock back. It fills the gap between my rat 1 and 2 perfectly.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  6. symphonyincminor

symphonyincminor

Oct 5, 2005
    .... and to think our grandparents got by with only this:

[​IMG]

I wonder what changed?

7. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Totally agreed. The Volt II SS blew me away for $15. Maybe wonder why I was compelled to purchase the $300 knife it arrived with.

I have both the Drifter and Chill. I'd suggest skipping the Drifer and going straight for the Chill. It's no Volt, but the design is similar. If the Volt had the same deassisted action as the Chill I would own 5.

8. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Cold steel products and kershaw blur

9. totkst1

totkst1

Oct 14, 2016
    first post on here but I have been reading and learning as a guest viewer for a while now. my two EDC knives are my favorite knives because all mine are inexpensive. a ka-bar mule 3050 folder and a joe pardue utilitachII both total I got for less than 100$

10. Gafishing

Gafishing

Aug 7, 2016
    Peacent
    You should be BFs official photographer.
    Everytime time you post a picture it's got some cool bug, backdrop or knives complimenting knives. 👍

Oh and my personal beater is a
    Boker automat Kalashnikov in desert tan.

11. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes it is. $400 to you may be expensive but clearly there is a large group that spends it on a night out without hesitating. Budget is relative. Budget is not universal.

12. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    As someone who has no problem spending huge chunks of cash on a knife and using, it, any knife by CRK is most certainly not a crazy value budget knife.

The Cold Steel Tuff Lite that I bought, which then got used by a friend when she was doing an adventure race (fixed blade or locking folder was required safety equipment), and that my friend Dave has now been using for over half a year as his EDC and work knife for cutting everything is a crazy value budget knife. :)

$25 to $50 depending where you buy it (and in what country), and yet capable of doing everything from heavy cutting at work to whittling at home and in the woods, and with a lock you can trust won't cut your friend's fingers off is she ever had to use it (she is not a knife person by any stretch, which is why she had to borrow a knife from me).

I like my Umnumzaan, and feel it was worth the money, but no way in hell is it a budget value knife.
    Even if a won a few hundred million dollars in a crazy lottery I would not call it a crazy value budget knife...but I sure would buy more of them, and a few thousand other expensive knives. :D

13. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    May be your best, but it won't outlast any other well made knife made with the same steel for half the price. So how is that an incredible budget knife?

14. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    There are cheaper knives with Titanium and S35VN but that doesn't mean they are equals, especially on the subject of value which is all individual. There is more to a knife than a spec sheet and a few pictures.

Edit: To be fair, I though the OP was really looking for knives in the $0-$50, maybe $0-$100 range. I do like and agree with the argument that the Sebenza is a huge value at its price, being as well built or better built than knives multiple times it's cost. In that realm and relative to other hobbies, it is a budget item. A $350-$450 pistol/rifle is looked at as budget level, yet here it's viewed by many as an insane price. Both should last, yet the one used typically more frequently is looked at as an expensive choice and the one rarely used is looked at as a deal. Kinda odd in perspective.

15. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    But the title of the thread is Great Inexpensive Knives.

This is one of the only times I can recall a thread on the internet touting $400-$800 knives as inexpensive. ;)
    Even if you have gobs of cash, that doesn't make a $400 knife inexpensive...it makes it more affordable to you as an individual.

16. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    Odd, the Cambridge dictionary states affordable as "not expensive" and the first definition google lists is "inexpensive".

17. bt93

bt93

May 12, 2015
    I'm curious, what are you doing that you had to spend so much on knives in the last 5 years? Are you using your folders like an ax and batoning wood?

18. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Odd, I can play that game too. ;)

af•ford•a•ble
    (əˈfɔr də bəl, əˈfoʊr-)

adj.
    considered to be within one's financial means.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/affordable

And a $400 knife is still not inexpensive...even in your snarky dictionary definition, there was not a picture of a Sebenza or Umnumzaan.

19. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    What's that? :)

And yes, a $400 knife is not an inexpensive knife. That's out of most peoples budget for a knife honestly but then again, depends on life situation as well.

20. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Not large group. A survey of forum members would probably show that 90% consider a 400.00 knife expensive. In the general population, that probably goes up to 99%. People with money stil know what s expensive, even if they can afford it. I know. I ve talked to rich people about expensive stuff.;)