• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Grizzly 2x42 Attachments!

Contender Machine

Dealer / Materials Provider
This is a presale for the work rests, platens and small wheel attachments I made for the Grizzly 2x42 Grinder.

I can ship a limited number of these within a week and after that it’ll likely be after the 1st of the year before I can fill the rest of the orders. I’ll do this on a first come first serve basis so either post what you’d like below here or send me a direct message/email to get in line!

I won’t require any payment up front. I will send invoices via PayPal when I have each individual order ready.

Price list:

5x12 inch work rest. Will fit with either the standard work rest arm or the drop down work rest arm. - $50

Standard work rest arm. Allows quick tilting up to 15 degrees either forward or backwards. - $14

Drop down work rest arm. Allows for more access to the platen to allow better use of a grinding jig. Only tilts backwards 15 degrees. Does not tilt forward more than a few degrees. - $15

Flat platen. 2x5.25x1/4 inch mild steel. Mounts with 2 flathead screws. - $12

Pair of platen brackets. These allow side to side as well as forward to back adjustment of the platen. They also allow better access to the left side of the platen in comparison to the factory platen. - $18 per pair

Case hardened Radius platens. I don’t have any of these ready as they will have to go off to heat treat. I’ll make whatever size you’d like upon request. These will be 1018 steel case hardened to 60Rc - $50

Small wheel attachment. These are made to run the standard small wheels available from several suppliers. The attachment excepts 7/8 OD bearings spaced 3 1/8 inches apart (Roughly 3.15 true measurement). The attachment includes a tool arm but does NOT include any wheels. It takes up to 2 wheels with the second acting as an idler to redirect the belt. - $70

Shipping/tax will be added on to your total.

Anyone who spends $50 or more I will add a 5% discount.

Either put a reply in here with what you’d like and I will contact you or send me a private message or email.

darren@contenderworks.com

Here’s some pictures of what to expect for finished products. These are bare steel, no paint or plating of any kind. Please keep in mind that these grinders are built cheap. I can’t insure that the attachments will fit them all exactly the same. If anyone runs into trouble with stuff not fitting your grinder please let me know!

Also, if anyone has anymore ideas for attachments you might want built feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks,

-Darren

Last edited:
If you can squeeze another 1/2” - 1” in length in the paten, I’d take one of those too. :)

I just checked and apparently the platens I made are actually 5.25 inches long instead of 5 inches like I previously said. Darn memory 😂

I edited the post above to correct that.

Regardless it appears that 5 3/4 would be about the max length the stock platen frame will allow. If you let me know exactly what length you’d like I’ll make one for you!

I just checked and apparently the platens I made are actually 5.25 inches long instead of 5 inches like I previously said. Darn memory 😂

I edited the post above to correct that.

Regardless it appears that 5 3/4 would be about the max length the stock platen frame will allow. If you let me know exactly what length you’d like I’ll make one for you!

Around 5.75” would be super awesome! Put me down for one of those along with, the platen brackets, and drop down tool arm. :D

I'm just getting started out with the grizzly as my 1st grinder. Which items would you recommend to add to it? I'm unsure of the purpose of some of them. Thanks

I'm just getting started out with the grizzly as my 1st grinder. Which items would you recommend to add to it? I'm unsure of the purpose of some of them. Thanks
The stock platen on this grinder isn't very handy for doing plunge lines or working around on the left side of the platen. The platen and platen brackets I made help this by allowing better access to the left side of the platen. The platen is 2 inches wide so it doesn't overhang the belt. This makes grinding plunge lines much easier.

The stock work rest isn't very big and though it does tilt it tilts in the wrong direction and isn't very useful. The work rest I made is much larger (5x12) and is heavier. It is also centered up on the platen. It tilts forward and backward which helps when grinding bevels with a jig.

The drop down work rest tool arm gets the work rest lower on the platen which gives you more access to the platen especially when using a grinding jig. I would reccomend that work rest arm.

The radius platens resemble a large diameter contact wheel. Very useful for hollow grinding especially on a machine like this that doesn't allow for large contact wheels.

The small wheel attachment allows you to attach small diameter (down to 1/4 inch typically) wheels to the grinder. These are super useful for grinding tight radii in handle contours. This particular attachment works really well on a grinder like this since you typically are doing more detail work and less heavy grinding with the small wheels.

I hope that clears things up a bit!

Sent you an email regarding the workrest, does this allow for a full 45 degree tilt up to the platen for making bevels on scales and such? Great work man.

The straight work rest arm will tilt forward and back 15 degrees both directions. The drop down work rest arm will only tilt back 15 degrees and not forward. However, the stock platen on this grinder tilts so you can achieve 45 degree angles by utilizing that feature.

Jantz and USAKnifemakers carry them among others. 7/8 OD bearings with an over all length of 3 1/8. The ones I have seen are closer to 3.15 inches.

If anyone has trouble getting their wheels to fit please reach out to me. It will likely be an easy fix. It is impossible for me to say for certain that all the small wheels made with 7/8 OD bearing will fit properly as there are to many possible variations.

Flat platen, platen brackets and small wheel attachment, please.
1066vik 1066vik
I'll take a platen, radiused platen, work rest, platen bracket, drop down work rest arm, and small wheel attachment.
carnifex knifeworks carnifex knifeworks
I'll also take a small wheel attachment!
M mooniesdl3

Could you all send me an email with a shipping address please? I will get invoices sent out as soon as I can get a shipping price. Darren@contenderworks.com

Thanks!

Back