• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Grizzly 2x42 Attachments!

Waiting on a Grizzly 2x42 on backorder. (Probably should wait until it is onsite before I start upgrading it...:confused:)

But, I have been looking for a good tool for plunge lines for small-ish knives. I am currently using a simple waterfall platen with a piece of ceramic glass layered on top with a slight radius to the edge. It is similar to the contraption in Kyle Royer's YT video (
).

Would it be reasonable to consider building an attachment for the Grizzly similar to this:

(This is a question for Darren.)

Randale

Yeah that could definitely be done. Could probably use the same small wheels as the small wheel attachment uses. Anyone else think they’d be interested in something like this for the Grizzly?

I’ll try drawing something up in CAD to see what it’ll take to get done.

Thanks for considering this.

I think the typical small wheels have too large a radius to be effective. My guess is that a wheel of 3/16 or 1/4 inch diameter would be necessary.

Ideally, it would also allow a carbide plunge jig to be clamped to the knife and pushed flush onto the end of the small wheel holder to ensure that the lunges were symmetrical.

Randale

You can get small wheels down to 1/4 inch for the small wheel attachment. That’s what I was thinking. A smaller one (3/16) would be nice as well.

Where are folks getting their small wheels?

Got my box yesterday, parts look good, platen attached and adjusted quick and easy.

Usaknifemaker and Jantz carry them for sure. Knife parts has some as well but I haven't used any personally. They require a 7/8 OD bearing. 3 1/8 long overall

Got my workrest and definitely coming back for the small wheel attachment and flat platen, parts work great, Thanks Darren!

I would like to purchase a small wheel attachment. Are they still available? And how do I go about purchasing them?

My Grizzly 2x42 finally arrived.

What is the current status for ordering custom attachments?

What is available and how do you order?

Thanks,

Randale

My Grizzly 2x42 finally arrived.

What is the current status for ordering custom attachments?

What is available and how do you order?

Thanks,

Randale
Last I heard was that you say you're interested and send a message to the maker. They will send you an invoice to pay when they're closer to shipping the items.

Fair warning though, I submitted requests to buy items a while ago. There's a pretty high demand for this stuff, so just make sure you're okay waiting.

I'm fine waiting, but some people may not be.

Last edited:
I have everything in stock except for the radius platens. Unfortunately I haven't got them back from heat treat yet.

I did update the platen brackets to allow for more backwards adjustment of the platen to better allow fitting a piece of ceramic to the steel platen. I also just recently received a shipment of 5 inch long ceramic platen liners for this grinder.

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these attachments send me an email: darren@contenderworks.com

Last I heard was that you say you're interested and send a message to the maker. They will send you an invoice to pay when they're closer to shipping the items.

Fair warning though, I submitted requests to buy items a while ago. Last I heard anything was back in December. Haven't received an invoice to pay for the items I requested.

There's a pretty high demand for this stuff, so just make sure you're okay waiting.

I'm fine waiting, but some people may not be.
I apologize for the radius platens taking longer than expected. I have everything else in stock ready to ship. I sent you an email.

I apologize for the radius platens taking longer than expected. I have everything else in stock ready to ship. I sent you an email.
I didn't mean that to sound negative at all. I don't mind waiting in the least. It's totally understandable and you have been more than responsive anytime I've asked for an update.

I edited my prior post to avoid it sounding negative. My apologies.😊

I didn't mean that to sound negative at all. I don't mind waiting in the least. It's totally understandable and you have been more than responsive anytime I've asked for an update.

I edited my prior post to avoid it sounding negative. My apologies.😊
Haha no worries! It's definitely been a job keeping up with this....

Haha no worries! It's definitely been a job keeping up with this....
Hello, i looked on your website but did not see any parts for this Grizzly 2x42. You still selling these?

Also, on a thread somewhere on BF there was a link to a vid of a guy that replaced some parts to upgrade the tool arms to 5/8” thick.

Could you sell that and 5/8” tooling arms?

Back