GSO 20 request thread

Page 2 is no place for this...tsk tsk, I read there was a machete on paper!!!! does that piece of paper also have a short chopper/sword on it??

I am pretty sure that machete has been on paper since before the necker 2 was released. I recall a pic of guy drawing them both. The machete looked like a bolo/kukri and may have morphed into the 12

I am pretty sure that machete has been on paper since before the necker 2 was released. I recall a pic of guy drawing them both. The machete looked like a bolo/kukri and may have morphed into the 12

Agreed, I remember mention of it a while ago, just used it being mentioned again as a shameless plug. If i was being honest with myself a true kukri would be the most interesting design they could do....but the gso-20 just seems fun...

Bump. 'Cause I NEED a GSO-20 in my life!!! :thumbup: --- ;)

(Well, want one really, really, really, really, really, REALLY bad anyway :p )

Finally got to looking at this thread - I like it! And Survive is the right people to do something like this!
For me though, the big concern with actually using a tool like this is weight. If the elbow tendinitis flares up it becomes a show piece. I use machetes a lot and they are nice and light. I have no problem using axes. But heavy chopping blades are a lot less useful and harder to use. I may be the only one that thinks this, but I like the original blade profile better than the long chopper profile because I don't need to reproduce "axe" function, but a long slashing tool is pretty handy. Somewhat thinner stock (.2 vs .25 for example) is fine too if blade speed is more useful than blade mass. And 3V is tough enough to be tough enough with thinner stock. Something more than a 2-3 mm thick bladed machete but not as massive as a baseball bat. I like some of the more contoured handles too. Just my preferences, and I don't want to derail the obvious enthusiasm for what has been suggested so far...
Looking forward to seeing what Guy does with all his projects, maybe he'll go in this direction at some point too and it will be best in class, whatever it ends up looking like!

Finally got to looking at this thread - I like it! And Survive is the right people to do something like this!
For me though, the big concern with actually using a tool like this is weight. If the elbow tendinitis flares up it becomes a show piece. I use machetes a lot and they are nice and light. I have no problem using axes. But heavy chopping blades are a lot less useful and harder to use. I may be the only one that thinks this, but I like the original blade profile better than the long chopper profile because I don't need to reproduce "axe" function, but a long slashing tool is pretty handy. Somewhat thinner stock (.2 vs .25 for example) is fine too if blade speed is more useful than blade mass. And 3V is tough enough to be tough enough with thinner stock. Something more than a 2-3 mm thick bladed machete but not as massive as a baseball bat. I like some of the more contoured handles too. Just my preferences, and I don't want to derail the obvious enthusiasm for what has been suggested so far...
Looking forward to seeing what Guy does with all his projects, maybe he'll go in this direction at some point too and it will be best in class, whatever it ends up looking like!

All ideas are welcome! Since this is merely just a "Wishful thinking" thread there really is no harm throwing out various ideas. In the end if survive makes a "gso-20" it will be whatever guy thinks is best!

I agree regarding the thinner stock. CPM 3v is plenty tough, especially with the recent heat treat developments that will especially help out with larger choppers. Thinner stock and a tall blade height would make for some killer cutting geometry. Speed is critical, as is delaying fatigue.

Guy has experience handling this size blade, so we would also get the benefit of his experience.

Very cool to see you guys here to support the effort.

I've never had anything over an 18 inch machete. Even then I didn't see much advantage over my 16 machetes. That said I had at one time a replica blade from the book of Eli movie. I gotta say it was a fun blade. So I guess I'm saying utility wise I don't see it very handy but the cool factor is off the charts. Seeing a 17-18 inch machete from S! I could see being a versatile and out of this world cool. That's just my .02¢…

I love that movie! One of my favorite scenes. My brother in law gave me the replica sword cause he didn't know I actually love using my blades.

I've never had anything over an 18 inch machete. Even then I didn't see much advantage over my 16 machetes. That said I had at one time a replica blade from the book of Eli movie. I gotta say it was a fun blade. So I guess I'm saying utility wise I don't see it very handy but the cool factor is off the charts. Seeing a 17-18 inch machete from S! I could see being a versatile and out of this world cool. That's just my .02¢…

I wouldn't need a longer machete if I had longer arms. With a 18" I can't clear brush to the ground without a lot of stooping, which isn't too friendly to my middle aged joints.
My preferred length range is between 24" and 28", but with those lengths it is hard to find a design that is light enough to use but thick enough to avoid flex.
As I understand the problem the cross sectional area of the machete blade needs to uniformly decrease towards the tip, which competes with the need to get enough mass forward to chop well.
This basically explains why truly heavy chopping is best done with an axe with all the steel at one end and a long light weight handle to gain leverage.
You can go 36" with axes without flex problems. :)

only cardboard right now, but getting closer to a real thing:

I would make the handle a little taller, i would need to play around with the ratios (haven't added the cardboard handles yet) my only real complaint so far is in the two hand config, the handle feels short.

Dude, I almost did a poop in my pants... in the time between seeing the pic and reading the text my eyes tried telling my brain that we were seeing a steel cut out. Very cool to see it physically even if it is cardboard. One step closer!

Dude, I almost did a poop in my pants... in the time between seeing the pic and reading the text my eyes tried telling my brain that we were seeing a steel cut out. Very cool to see it physically even if it is cardboard. One step closer!

Before i get it cut out of steel i need to finalize a few other designs. The cost to cut is prohibitive unless i get more than one thing made, so I am trying to play tetris and see which of my other designs I can fit in. The smaller ones are a lot easier to get a "feel for" as opposed to this guy.

I remember you mentioning the cost and that was one of the reasons I was so surprised. Good luck with the tetris :)
I didn't realize you had multiple designs lined up. Very cool! I'd definitely be interested in any teasers if you felt comfortable.

Last edited:
only cardboard right now, but getting closer to a real thing:

I would make the handle a little taller, i would need to play around with the ratios (haven't added the cardboard handles yet) my only real complaint so far is in the two hand config, the handle feels short.

Give me a little top guard on that sucker and I'LL TAKE TWO!!!!!!!! :eek: --- :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please and thank you! ;)

Before i get it cut out of steel i need to finalize a few other designs. The cost to cut is prohibitive unless i get more than one thing made, so I am trying to play tetris and see which of my other designs I can fit in. The smaller ones are a lot easier to get a "feel for" as opposed to this guy.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the costs to cut it out? Do you just buy the steel stock separate and then send it to be cut out?

Back