Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

48378617271_c3696556e0_z.jpg

Â
Such a nice interesting knife!! A Lamb Foot with a curve in it???:eek:

Good Morning to one and all out there in Guardian Land :D
Once again it's Friday and I hope it was/is a great one with a FANTASTIC weekend to follow! ;)
Once again, great pics by on and all and a tip of the hat to all who took the time to put one up. Enjoyed them all - thanks :thumbsup:
And that's what happens when you have a lamb in your pocket... :eek::eek::eek: Your lucky you spotted em in time. :D
Mellow... I'm sipping 40 Creek Copper Pot even as I type. :)
@Fixall very glad to hear you are finally feeling better!
View attachment 1168044
Inflate - deflate - inflate - deflate - wash and repeat - will it ever end :rolleyes:

One question that has been brought up a few times in the past is "Were there any vintage American made Lambfoot knives?"
I would say yes...
We can all agree on the general tapered shape of a Lambfoot blade, and it appears that they first came about in the late 1800s in England.
This is a very unique blade shape that doesn't seem to appear anywhere else in Europe in the late 1800s to early 1900s, but does show up in the United States in the early 20th century.
While the Sheepfoot blade shape is very commonly seen on American knives during the 19th and 20th centuries, the Lambfoot blade shape is nearly unheard of.
But... an advertisement from a 1905 "Washington Cutlery Co." illustration shows two models with the bottom one quite clearly a Lambfoot model even though it is listed as a Sheepfoot model.
The top knife shows a classic Sheepfoot blade, while the bottom knife has a tapered blade and looks overall quite like the new "Waynorth" Lambfoot models.
It shouldn't be any great surprise that a Lambfoot styled knife would show up in early 20th century America since a great many Sheffield cutlers immigrated to the United States in the late 1800s to early 1900s.
I would like to show a second American illustration and knife which at the very least borders on a Lambfoot model. This knife was offered (but not necessarily made by) the "John Russell Cutlery Co." from the late 1800s through the very early 1900s. The handle is made of cast iron with the words "The Boy Of" on the front handle, and "America" on the back side. The illustration shows a tapered blade but it is just slightly more "squared off" than the "Hartshead" models. Still, quite similar. Also shown is an actual example of the knife. The blade does not look as tapered as the illustration, but it is when measured from back to tip.
So, were there any old Lambfoot knives made in America, I think so, but certainly on the rare side.
View attachment 1168180
View attachment 1168182
View attachment 1168181
Good read and pics, thank you :)

Morning Guardians, I'm afraid that my house guest is keeping me rather busy, but I just wanted to call in, and hope to be back here with you soon. Have a good Friday :) :thumbsup:

jPOVGwQ.jpg
Later, gator
A different day, a different blade. Thanks for giving me a chance to see it :thumbsup:
Being from Tennessee and a lover of the Lambsfoot, let me just say this, you have good taste my friend! ;) :thumbsup:
I hope you have a great trip David! :D
Enjoy your weekend Jack! :) :thumbsup:
My coffee would usually be as black as my Ebony WCLF. I got a hold of some Panera brand coffee that’s so bitter I have to put in a little milk to smooth it out! :( Hoping y’all Guardians have a great weekend! :D

48379262276_3a312966b5_b_d.jpg
Excuses, excuses. Milk in the coffee :eek: What a weenie ;)
The Waynorth Ebony is lookin' mighty fine, though :)
Good morning Jack and all the Guardians!
T G I F ! Been a looong week.
Cool pic of your Ebony big-un, Jack:thumbsup::thumbsup: Whats in the bag, pieces of silver?:D

wYemcRH.jpg
Very cool pic - thanks :cool:
A fine morning to you all Guardians.
View attachment 1168271
35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg
Back at ya, great pic of the Hartshead :thumbsup:
Good Morning Guardians
Another fine pic of another fine Waynorth Ebony (trying to get "raspy" in there but no luck) Oh, well. Thanks for the pic :thumbsup:
Good Friday morning Guardians...hope your day goes well and that the weekend is an enjoyable one.
IMG_1276.JPG

Dwight, Dutch has used that term and a few others that can't be repeated here:eek::D
That's one of them Eastern Greens...mighty fine eating, but hard to get in range for a good shot>:p:D
Have a great trip David.
Both the dish and the knife look scrumptious
Nice lookin' Snake :cool:
Good morning, Guardians!
hjeH0DC.jpg

Have a great Friday!
Same to you my friend, nice pic :)
Nominated for "Pic of the Day" - :cool:
TGIF, Taylor. The Waynorth is lookin' mighty fine :thumbsup:
Good morning everyone. I like this picture because I managed to capture the reflection of the "pressure treated" wood pattern on the blade. See, I do have photographic skills after all.
IM0ZvO7.jpg
Nice one, Ed - like the contrasts and the reflection in the blade. Mighty fine :thumbsup:

Hope everyone likes this one, but then - what's not to like? Headphones? Wear 'em if you got 'em :cool:
If you get time, check out the interview with Manzarek, pretty cool.
Have a good one,
OG

7_26_FlashFri_AAuto_Crop_FF_HDR_400_.jpg

Last edited:
Mellow... I'm sipping 40 Creek Copper Pot even as I type. :)

Being from Tennessee and a lover of the Lambsfoot, let me just say this, you have good taste my friend! ;) :thumbsup:
A buddy was coming over and asked me "What beer do you drink?" and I replied "Whiskey" . I didn't think he would bring me a bottle....but I'm not going to complain.
Plus, it steadies the hand while sharpening. :D

Both the dish and the knife look scrumptious
Thanks, Preston. That snakewood Lamb is lookin mighty fine.
BTW, I have never seen those pickups before, I have to go see what this Lace Tech is all about.

Good Morning to one and all out there in Guardian Land :D
Once again it's Friday and I hope it was/is a great one with a FANTASTIC weekend to follow! ;)
Once again, great pics by on and all and a tip of the hat to all who took the time to put one up. Enjoyed them all - thanks :thumbsup:

Inflate - deflate - inflate - deflate - wash and repeat - will it ever end :rolleyes:

Good read and pics, thank you :)

Later, gator

A different day, a different blade. Thanks for giving me a chance to see it :thumbsup:

Excuses, excuses. Milk in the coffee :eek: What a weenie ;)
The Waynorth Ebony is lookin' mighty fine, though :)

Very cool pic - thanks :cool:

Back at ya, great pic of the Hartshead :thumbsup:

Another fine pic of another fine Waynorth Ebony (trying to get "raspy" in there but no luck) Oh, well. Thanks for the pic :thumbsup:

Nice lookin' Snake :cool:

Same to you my friend, nice pic :)

Nominated for "Pic of the Day" - :cool:

TGIF, Taylor. The Waynorth is lookin' mighty fine :thumbsup:

Nice one, Ed - like the contrasts and the reflection in the blade. Mighty fine :thumbsup:

Hope everyone likes this one, but then - what's not to like? Headphones? Wear 'em if you got 'em :cool:
If you get time, check out the interview with Manzarek, pretty cool.
Have a good one,
OG

View attachment 1168432

What a band. Great interview. You've always got good music for us on Friday, OG. :thumbsup:

This knife from A. Wright did not come with a box or tube. Did/do the knives by A. Wright from Jack Black Jack Black come with a box or tube? It makes no difference to me as I make my own boxes or tubes for knives that come to me without one.

IM0ZvO7.jpg

Nothing fancy but it serves it's purpose.

3cUv65U.jpg

Even better that boxes or tubes, The Hartshead Barlows came with tins and goodies! The awesome packaging was done by Jack and not Wright's
Btw, Ed, the horn on your Lambsfoot is somethin' special. :thumbsup:

48381523677_577962decb_h.jpg

Thanks for the reply.
With Jack's SFOs, Jack provided the boxes. My small stag knife last year came in a small plastic box for added protection. I use that box for coins now. The ironwood knife came in a small tin with a pin. The Barlow came in a slightly larger tin, with a pin, a tweed pocket slip, and a small card with information on the knife, signed by Jack.

Back