Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good afternoon Guardians! Hopefully y’all have had a good day! I am running a little late posting this afternoon, but now I’ve settled in for the evening. I’ve had this wee Sambar beauty in my pocket today. :) :thumbsup:

41992444392_9568a4262b_b_d.jpg

Thank you kindly! It is an A. Wright. :)

49746067642_f4af86e9c8_c_d.jpg

I got this one and it’s mate from Jack over three years ago. He picked them up from the factory. This one is Sambar and the ones you’re likely to get now will probably be Pere David. There’s really no comparison. The PD is okay, but it lacks the beautiful character of the Sambar Stag. :)

Great to see that one Ron :) What happened with these knives was that I was over at Wright's one day buying a quantity of knives, and they had two Lambsfoot models, which had been hafted in vintage Sambar. John Maleham told me that the stag had originally been cut, decades earlier, for steak knife hafts, and that they only had a few pieces of it. I bought the two knives, below, and asked John if he would make me up some more with the remaining stag. As I was a well-established customer, with a good relationship with the firm, he was happy to do so.

ukOY1Y0.jpg

5vvXEfk.jpg

The pieces were only short, so were only suitable for the shortest size of Lambsfoot. The only exception was the lower knife above, which is on the straight Candle-end frame. On my next visit I picked up the three knives they'd enough Sambar to cover. If I remember correctly, these are the 3 knives, and they went to Ron and r8shell r8shell :)

Ds9GIsi.jpg

LBGjmwH.jpg

I asked John to let me know if they ever managed to get hold of anymore vintage Sambar, and they eventually managed to find some from an old cutlery factory that had closed down. Every piece of stag was used in making the Ashley's Choice knives :thumbsup:

PWFRSyR.jpg

Bambi dropped by our camp to say hi.

Hrp6qPt.jpg

nW2uezr.jpg

Nice pics Dan, looks like you're having a wonderful time :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone has a good week, especially those in the " Mother Land " going into different stages of lockdown. We are having some rules relaxed as of tomorrow, not much though at this stage, our beloved Premier:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: is making a statement later on today, see, i am keeping politics out of the thread, just stating fact.o_O. Posting a piece of wood that i found on a building site, it is just a piece of pine, looked like nothing when i picked it up, but have treated it coat after coat of orange oil and coat after coat of a furniture polish that i get from a local furniture maker. It came up a treat, looks like it is a vintage piece of wood now, i use it for putting pots/pans and my kettle on when i take them off the stove. It has a gnarly knot in it that looks quit "sexy" with my @waynorth lamb, the color of the bone and the knot blend together really well. Take care everyone and stay safe.;)

nFyjIQi.jpg

Thanks pal, yeah, all sorts of weird and contrary restrictions here, plenty more folks affected more than me for sure :( Nice work on that wood, looks pretty cool, particularly with your WCLF :cool: :thumbsup:

My flock of lambs has now doubled. My friend Modoc Ed, knowing my admiration for his old Harrison Bros. knife sent it down my way. I am now the proud owner of a vintage English lambsfoot. :D

He also sent me a dual bladed Wright's, a first for me in this pattern. I prefer single blade knives, but the bellied pen blade gives the straight edged lambsfoot a lot more versatility.

50387879597_acb0a05d4e_b.jpg

What a fine piece of craftsmanship the Harrison is. It doesn't have the polish of a modern GEC, but its construction evinces the skill and care of an expert cutler.

I think I have a new favorite worry stone. The time burnished stag and hammered pins are sure to provide my fingers with hours of enjoyable fiddling.

Kind gesture, looking forward to seeing more of those two here Christian :thumbsup:

Once again Dwight, just a fantastic pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a great weekend :) I have plenty of things to do in the house today, but don't think I'll be going far. In view of the Sambar discussion, I thought I'd carry the Candle-end I mentioned above. Here's the pile side :) Enjoy your Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

a5h7PI7.jpg

That's a nice candle-end you're carrying, Jack.
The pieces were only short, so were only suitable for the shortest size of Lambsfoot. The only exception was the lower knife above, which is on the straight Candle-end frame. On my next visit I picked up the three knives they'd enough Sambar to cover. If I remember correctly, these are the 3 knives, and they went to Ron and r8shell r8shell :)

Ds9GIsi.jpg

LBGjmwH.jpg
Were there 3, or 5 made? I know the one you sent me was from that group, but I can't pick it out of the lineup.
1uXRF7w.jpg

EetsvTz.jpg

That's a nice candle-end you're carrying, Jack.

Were there 3, or 5 made? I know the one you sent me was from that group, but I can't pick it out of the lineup.
1uXRF7w.jpg

EetsvTz.jpg

Thanks Rachel, you might be right about that :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction, I will have a record somewhere! :D :thumbsup:

Here's another pic I found, which I think includes your knife (which I actually have about ten pics of)! :D

DEkcc6q.jpg

Also I remembered, I have this one :) :thumbsup:

ckvZjiI.jpg

I'm afraid that much of my life is a mystery to me these days! :rolleyes:

Thanks Rachel, you might be right about that :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction, I will have a record somewhere! :D :thumbsup:

Here's another pic I found, which I think includes your knife (which I actually have about ten pics of)! :D

DEkcc6q.jpg

Also I remembered, I have this one :) :thumbsup:

ckvZjiI.jpg

I'm afraid that much of my life is a mystery to me these days! :rolleyes:
There's Li'l Sambar! The one with the fiery colour!

What's frustrating to me, is not only do I forget things, but the stuff that I do remember seems to be useless trivia. If I could clean my brain of old TV show theme song lyrics and suchlike, I'd have room for new information. :p

There's Li'l Sambar! The one with the fiery colour!

What's frustrating to me, is not only do I forget things, but the stuff that I do remember seems to be useless trivia. If I could clean my brain of old TV show theme song lyrics and suchlike, I'd have room for new information. :p

LOL! :D I know exactly what you mean Rachel, I don't know why I need to know the name of Roy Rodgers' dog or the telephone number my grandmother had when I was seven - particularly when I can't remember my own current phone number! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Some really wonderful photos of your hike and HHB Jack.:thumbsup: I was wondering if you happen upon other hikers when you are out and about? All of your shots are bereft of people on the trails that you walk. What a nice idea the Litter Free Library is!:)

Thank you very much Bill, it depends where I am, my favourite days are when I don't see another soul, but since I can't travel too far from Leeds at the moment, and usually go hiking with my girlfriend at the weekends, when she isn't working, those days are few and far between at the moment I'm afraid :( I think I included a feller out running on this pic :thumbsup:

jFMgZOl.jpg

Good morning Guardians. Going to be in a training class for firearms permit today.:D Will have my trusty HHB with me.:thumbsup: Maybe a recycled photo.
View attachment 1426766

Good luck with that Bill :) Good company ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you :) , we did have a good time :thumbsup:

Last morning today.
The troops are still sleeping ;)
I am “just chilling “ or rather warming up :D by the fire and drinking some mate :cool:

IiRxImp.jpg

Glad to hear it Dan, thanks for taking us with you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians and anyone else looking in. Well, today is put the lawn tractor/mower

wurvTNP.jpg

away for the winter - blow it off with an air hose, take the battery out and put it on a charger and cover it. Jeez!! This tractor is so cheap the tires turn green:eek: when mowing grass but it's run like a champ for going on twenty years.:) Anyway, I'll be using this two-blade Lambfoot to cut rope for securing the tractor cover and whatever else comes up.

BWTHE1W.jpg

This is my last two-blade Lambfoot. Glad I kept it as it is very stout and a good worker.:thumbsup:

Great to see that one Ron :) What happened with these knives was that I was over at Wright's one day buying a quantity of knives, and they had two Lambsfoot models, which had been hafted in vintage Sambar. John Maleham told me that the stag had originally been cut, decades earlier, for steak knife hafts, and that they only had a few pieces of it. I bought the two knives, below, and asked John if he would make me up some more with the remaining stag. As I was a well-established customer, with a good relationship with the firm, he was happy to do so.

ukOY1Y0.jpg

5vvXEfk.jpg

Ds9GIsi.jpg

LBGjmwH.jpg

I asked John to let me know if they ever managed to get hold of anymore vintage Sambar, and they eventually managed to find some from an old cutlery factory that had closed down. Every piece of stag was used in making the Ashley's Choice knives :thumbsup:

PWFRSyR.jpg
Thanks Jack! That candlestick is a primo knife my friend! :thumbsup: I remember when you showed me the photos of those three. You told me I could have my choice. I immediately chose the middle knife. Then you told me I could have another if I liked. I felt really bad for about a millisecond ;) then I chose the one on the left! Not to be selfish I left the other one for some other lucky individual! :D I couldn’t remember who ended up with the one on the right end. I know I’m extremely happy to have these in my collection! :) :thumbsup:

I’m carrying this one today. I hope everyone has had a nice weekend! :) :thumbsup:

43675769400_4a074d1f41_b_d.jpg

Here's some pics from my hike yesterday :thumbsup:

gUdjBbf.jpg

Q9dzkrL.jpg

aUUdaM1.jpg

KJYIfXM.jpg

z4d7Trm.jpg

JyS9uz1.jpg

KdOOx7H.jpg

Qtdkak9.jpg

aGPmh2Z.jpg

YD3kYN5.jpg

CcObiVx.jpg

awzLqGG.jpg

7h84Hzp.jpg

EjvYMXy.jpg

Great photos Jack! :thumbsup: They’re all nice, but I found the one showing the field with the bales hit home to me. That looks exactly like a scene that could be found here locally! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks Jack! That candlestick is a primo knife my friend! :thumbsup: I remember when you showed me the photos of those three. You told me I could have my choice. I immediately chose the middle knife. Then you told me I could have another if I liked. I felt really bad for about a millisecond ;) then I chose the one on the left! Not to be selfish I left the other one for some other lucky individual! :D I couldn’t remember who ended up with the one on the right end. I know I’m extremely happy to have these in my collection! :) :thumbsup:

I’m carrying this one today. I hope everyone has had a nice weekend! :) :thumbsup:

43675769400_4a074d1f41_b_d.jpg

Great photos Jack! :thumbsup: They’re all nice, but I found the one showing the field with the bales hit home to me. That looks exactly like a scene that could be found here locally! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks buddy, I've been enjoying carrying it today, using, and sharpening it :) I can't remember either Ron, though I probably have a record somewhere, a lot of absent friends sadly :( Nice pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Did I say primo? :rolleyes: I couldn’t remember seeing that one Jack! That’s another beautiful knife! :thumbsup:

LOL! :D That's my Wee Staggy, I carried it quite a bit - it was the one nobody wanted :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

6yXpr6g.jpg

Thanks buddy, I've been enjoying carrying it today, using, and sharpening it :) I can't remember either Ron, though I probably have a record somewhere, a lot of absent friends sadly :( Nice pic :cool: :thumbsup:

LOL! :D That's my Wee Staggy, I carried it quite a bit - it was the one nobody wanted :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

6yXpr6g.jpg
I do remember that one now Jack! The colors looked different in your photo above. With things the way they are now, it’s probably just as well that you kept that one Jack! ;) I’m pretty sure that someone would like it now! :D

Back