Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

fullsizeoutput_2abc.jpeg

Good afternoon from Florida, Guardians! The humidity here has been terrible, and I've been working on assembling a play set for my kids, so stainless knives have been the only thing I'm willing to carry of late. Good thing my lambsfoot fits the bill!

View attachment 911462

Good afternoon from Florida, Guardians! The humidity here has been terrible, and I've been working on assembling a play set for my kids, so stainless knives have been the only thing I'm willing to carry of late. Good thing my lambsfoot fits the bill!

Good to see you (and your Lambsfoot) here Joshua, hope the kids appreciate the effort :) :thumbsup:

Good to see you (and your Lambsfoot) here Joshua, hope the kids appreciate the effort :) :thumbsup:
They love it, even in it’s incomplete state:
5_FEDD9_DD-58_FE-44_A4-_A3_A0-3_DC0542_B1_FB6.jpg

Thanks, guys.
I hope you're about through with the tape, Jack.

Let's see.
You know what it is.
The ebony is inky black and glass-smooth. I can't feel the transition between wood and metal when I run my thumb over it. The blade is centered, the tip is well below the liners, yet the blade is just pinchable. Strong pull and snap like old Toffee-wings (gives ya confidence). No blade play.
There is a gap on one side of the spring if you hold it up to the light just right. (I learned to do that here, though I still don't care if there's a glimmer of light by a spring.) The nail-nick seems a little over-sized, but I'm not sending it back.
Night-flier seems more blithe to patinate than did Toffee-wings. Maybe Wright's skimped on our polish!:eek::D
OExqRtA.jpg
Thanks for the review/description, Jer! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And you've named it already - you're getting a flock of raptors, maybe? :confused:;):thumbsup:

View attachment 911527
surprize surprize! Lookie see what found it's way to my doorstep today :D Very nice fit and finish on this one, I am living it!:thumbsup:
Congrats, Duane!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I remember when the 2017 horn Guardians Lambsfoot knives started showing up, I spent a lengthy post or three describing my first impressions and associations of the figuring in the horn handles of everyone's knives. I doubt if I'll do that this year! ;) I can probably accurately take care of all cases with a single comment: Those sure are some beautiful black covers on your knife!! :rolleyes: If we ever have a Guardians' Get-together, we'll have to have our moms sew our initials on our ebony lambs foots so we don't get them accidentally mixed up! :D

- GT

If we ever have a Guardians' Get-together, we'll have to have our moms sew our initials on our ebony lambs foots so we don't get them accidentally mixed up! :D
LOL! Either that GT, or we’ll have a bunch of Guardians all furiously scrutinising and comparing blade patinas in the mixed up ebony pile!:D:eek:

Looking forward to getting my ‘best’ companion for my ol’ reliable.

Found this old pic from early on in the piece:
5YKAYV7.jpg

And this more recent one:
p284V9u.jpg

I like to think I could recognise it in any company of similarly covered Lambsfoots!;)

Those primo ebonies are looking great, Guardians!:cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 911527
surprize surprize! Lookie see what found it's way to my doorstep today :D Very nice fit and finish on this one, I am living it!:thumbsup:

Fantastic news Duane, glad you're liking it :) :thumbsup:

The large nick makes it more pinchable, too, I think.

Yes, I agree :thumbsup:

It sure looks like it extends toward the front of the blade a bit more, which would give more leverage in opening as well.

I can pinch open almost all my Lambsfoot knives, but my opening technique with knives I can't, where possible, is to push upwards against the roof of the nick. The larger deeper nick is ideal for that :thumbsup:

NEH9tK.jpg

Love this Jack:cool::cool::cool: Some of the nicest ebony I've seen in some time:thumbsup:

Great to see that one in-hand Paul, glad you like it my friend :) :thumbsup:

I remember when the 2017 horn Guardians Lambsfoot knives started showing up, I spent a lengthy post or three describing my first impressions and associations of the figuring in the horn handles of everyone's knives. I doubt if I'll do that this year! ;) I can probably accurately take care of all cases with a single comment: Those sure are some beautiful black covers on your knife!! :rolleyes: If we ever have a Guardians' Get-together, we'll have to have our moms sew our initials on our ebony lambs foots so we don't get them accidentally mixed up! :D

:D :thumbsup:

LOL! Either that GT, or we’ll have a bunch of Guardians all furiously scrutinising and comparing blade patinas in the mixed up ebony pile!:D:eek:

Looking forward to getting my ‘best’ companion for my ol’ reliable.

Found this old pic from early on in the piece:
5YKAYV7.jpg

And this more recent one:
p284V9u.jpg

I like to think I could recognise it in any company of similarly covered Lambsfoots!;)

Those primo ebonies are looking great, Guardians!:cool::thumbsup:

Great pics of your Old Reliable Chin :thumbsup:

LOL! I just realized the visual pun (anchor knife...).

Actually, I included the anchor key-chain for reasons unrelated to the knife ;) :thumbsup:

I can pinch open almost all my Lambsfoot knives, but my opening technique with knives I can't, where possible, is to push upwards against the roof of the nick. The larger deeper nick is ideal for that :thumbsup:
This technique was taught to me by my first Lambfoot as well! I have found that it takes quite a bit of use to get them to open in a pinch (part of the reason I am looking into a sheepsfoot alternative in another thread).

View attachment 911914

I love this photograph. Michael May was asked to replace a (very slightly!) worn Lambsfoot blade on an older knife. This has to be one of the prettiest Lambsfoot knives I seen. Only a nicer bolster could improve it. It is great to see products that are capable of hard use and worth repairing! If we could only get stag like this into the hands of Jack and Wrights! I bet it is possible if we try, but I will not even mention a 2019 Guardian until Jack has had a few months to recuperate! Mum's the word.

Last edited:
This technique was taught to me by my first Lambfoot as well! I have found that it takes quite a bit of use to get them to open in a pinch (part of the reason I am looking into a sheepsfoot alternative in another thread).

I suppose I have been using these knives a long time, and I also found that technique useful on British Army and Navy knives as a kid, try opening one of those with your thumb nail in the standard way and you'd lose your thumb-nail! :eek: :thumbsup:

View attachment 911914

I love this photograph. Michael May was asked to replace a (very slightly!) worn Lambsfoot blade on an older knife. This has to be one of the prettiest Lambsfoot knives I seen. Only a nicer bolster could improve it. It is great to see products that are capable of hard use and worth repairing! If we could only get stag like this into the hands of Jack and Wrights! I bet it is possible if we try, but I will not even mention a 2019 Guardian until Jack has had a few months to recuperate! Mum's the word.

Definitely a looker Leslie :) :thumbsup: Here's an old Thomas Turner Lambsfoot I have - not much left of the Lambsfoot blade either I'm afraid! :eek: :( :thumbsup:

Thomas Turner Lambsfoot 1-1.JPG

These two beauties arrived today :cool:
View attachment 912014

I think they look great and Iove the stout springs.
A line up with the 2017 included:
View attachment 912015 View attachment 912016
Thanks Jack!

I'm glad they made it to you Mark, thanks for the great pics :) :thumbsup:

I was hoping to share a few pics myself, but I forgot to put the memory card back in the camera! o_O

If we could only get stag like this into the hands of Jack and Wrights! I bet it is possible if we try, but I will not even mention a 2019 Guardian until Jack has had a few months to recuperate! Mum's the word.

Thanks Leslie! :D :thumbsup: I think old Sheffield stag-handled knives look amazing, the scale-cutters were experts, and had the pick of the best Sambar available, and the cutlers were used to working with it. Stag's popularity declined in the 'Space Age' 60's and 70's I think, as of course did the whole infrastructure of the Sheffield cutlery trade. The Indian Government's ban on Sambar exports has left the few remaining Sheffield cutlers scratching around for stag, which often has poor character, and is cut too thick, with much of its character subsequently ground off. When cutlers like Wright's (and Stan Shaw) manage to get hold of Sambar, it is generally old pre-cut stock intended for flatware (table cutlery) or carving sets. In the case of the former, the pieces are quite short. In terms of using Sambar for future Guardians knives, we'd probably have to supply it, or perhaps settle for a smaller pattern. I think a nice Sambar-hafted Big 'un would look great, but that may just be a dream ;) :thumbsup:

Back