Have you ever lost an expensive knife?

I "lost" a $400ish (probably 500ish, today) knife for almost 2 years. I found it in the inside pocket of a coat I occasionally wear. I put lost in quotes not only because it was still here...it was a knife I rarely carry; so I hadn't even noticed it was missing. I found it while searching for something else that was in that same coat.
*Edited to clarify - I had already retrieved the other item. I just checked the rest of the pockets while my hands were in the coat, finding the knife and $40.

Last edited:
Thought I'd share with you guys the turmoil I put myself through today. As the title hints to the ordeal that occurred today, how many of you have had that sick to your stomach feeling of losing an expensive knife? The feeling that creeps over you, you know, the one that practically makes you want to throw up while the panic sets in? Losing a $500 knife might just about drive anyone crazy.
I wish you guys could have seen how far I went down the rabbit hole of uncertainty. My mind was racing, I couldn't think straight and was trying to retrace my steps to no avail. I went through everything, and I mean everything, the entire damn dresser, the bed, clothes, the trash, called three stores to get a resounding no each time. I even went through the dog food bags that I opened up today, elbow deep into the dog food storage bags. Went outback for half an hour, wandering and swearing to myself as the panic kept building up. Anxiety like this is really no fun. After the third hour I was seriously dragging ass, my mood shot, I was starting to convince myself this one was a gonner. I was literally telling myself that I had to let this one go because it was nowhere to be found, and I was about to give up. It wasn't until after hour-five, I started to wander around the house, thinking about everything that I had done today. As I was looking into my stepson bedroom where we keep the printer, it dawned on me that I had printed out a shipping label for my Hinderer return. And low and behold, it was sitting right next to the printer. Holy hell what a relief, I felt like such an asshole though for allowing myself to sink into such a deep rut of melancholy. I can only laugh at myself now as I realize how easily this knife owned me. I seriously hope none of you ever have to go through this shitshow of an experience. But how many of you were able to find what you thought was lost? Anyone lose one for good?
View attachment 2359585
I have misplaced my George Costanza wallet many times (falls out of my jeans) to the point that I now wear a chain 😅 . As far as knives, I have lost/misplaced a couple knives and still fear it will happen again some day. All have been found at this point. One was in bushes next to a project I was working on, another in pants that went through washer after a vacation etc etc.

EDIT: Expensive is subjective but these were 250-350ish. Even if I lost a 50$ knife I would be irritated as hell as I get attached to things I carry on a regular basis.

I misplaced a Parker Edwards knife for a few years. I looked for that thing multiple times and could never find it. One day I was looking for something else I hadn't seen in a while and there the knife was. I'm not sure what the other thing I was trying to find was, or if I've seen it since.

A sebenza25 micarta and a ZT 561...... They magically lost themselves from my belongings while I was in the hospital....... Talk about a sour feeling😠. Also had a Swiss Champ stolen.out.of my Jeep.......Apparently that knuckle head OD'd few days later....

Not sure which feels worse losing your "PRECIOUS" or have it stolen...🤔
That would leave me enraged, a hospital of all places, integrity must be a dying quality. I'm sorry about the Sebenza and 561.
I think the stain that theft leaves on people does more damage to the soul, most of us can probably forgive ourselves if we lose something. But having your shit stolen is something you can't really forgive.

Years ago I dropped a small Sebenza into a wall from the attic while installing a ceiling fan on a side job in a beautiful old house, lath and plaster walls. Cost 700 bucks to have the wall repaired ( Im an electrician so I opened it up with my hammer) but I got my Sebenza back….
Dude I would have done the same! If I couldn't get it with some fishing sticks and a magnet, the walls coming down lol.

I once lost a knife, and knew that I had lost it. The recollection of it even now, 15 years later, seems like only yesterday. It was lovely winters morning with snow about 8 inches deep on the ground and I had picked a Jukka Hankala Tommi to take along, unusually my daughter had decided to accompany me and our two Jack Russel's on the morning walk. It was brilliant for her to decide to tag along so I decided to talk a longer than usual route with the tommi tucked in my pocket, belt carry is frowned upon in public over here. We did the usual, collected a bit of birch bark, and generally just messed about enjoying the contrast of snow and beautiful clear crisp blue skies and sunshine.
When we returned home I went to take the knife from the jacket pocket and it was not there, I can understand entirely that the range of emotions that you went though, from disbelief to dismay and everything in-between. I had to go and look for it, it was my pride and joy. We all set off again, retracing our steps through the snow, this time it was not such a wonderful walk, frustration at the snow, panic that I would never find it and then after another couple of miles the dogs feet must have been getting cold and Paddy, the dogs were called Max and Paddy after the TV show, was on his back with his feet up in the air, my daughter let out a big aaawwwww hes cold and rushed over to pick him up I went over a bit slower and there, in the snow with the faintest tip of the sheath poking up was the Hankala. We could not believe it! Absolute joy and salutations abounded, my daughter kept saying that Paddy had found the knife, of course it was a complete coincidence. I went along with it and she loved telling the story to everyone about how we had the best, cleverest dog in the world. We made a fuss of them both that day I'll tell you, left extra lamb on the Bone. She loves telling that story, even now all these years later. Thank you for that Jukka.

After that experience I did not get any more careful with knives, but appeased myself, to certain extent, by calling them Missing In Action rather than lost. I must have ten rucksacks and numerous tents in the loft, there could be knives everywhere "stashed and ready to go".

Currently on the MIA list are a TK3, a Puma folding hunter in stag from the 50's(God knows how much I miss that knife), a Nepalise bone handled edc type with a fretworked solid silver scabbard, a stag senator, another stag senator that I bought to replace that lost one, and numerous others, too many to mention. Some have even turned up in my Sons bedroom and then mysteriously disappeared again. :)

I really must make a conscious and concerted effort to be more organised.
That was an awesome story, thanks for sharing man!

Does being scammed on an order count? I sent $850 to Dwaine Carrillo (Airkat Knives) for a knife about 10 years ago (have receipt) and he never fulfilled my order. He kept making excuses on his email replies (which I saved and still have) until eventually he just deleted his email address and disappeared. That's technically the only expensive knife I "lost"

I had a custom Master Skinner that I purchased from Dozier Knives 11 years ago. This past May 2023 after talking with Kerry Peal at Dozier, i mailed my prized KS-1 Master Skinner to Dozier to have a new sheath made for it. In June, after emailing Dozier on the status I received email confirmation from Kerry Peal at Dozier that she had received my knife and she said she thought it would be completed soon by their worker Mucuo. After about a month, I emailed Kerry Peal again to check status, Kerry said she "should have had it back by now and she would get back to me". That was the last time I heard from Kerry Peal at Dozier Knives. I have called numerous times and left messages as no one answers the phone, ive written a letter thru USPS and I've emailed numerous times to hear nothing on my prized Dozier Master Skinner. I am losing hope that I will ever see my favorite knife again. Scott Campbell, New Kent, Va.

I had my seat belt pull a Hinderer out of my pocket one time and I looked for it all day. Not gonna lie you would have thought I lost a family member the way I was moping around. It’s an aweful feeling for sure!
This is a real problem! The freaking seat belts may save lives but NOT the knives 😖

I had a custom Master Skinner that I purchased from Dozier Knives 11 years ago. This past May 2023 after talking with Kerry Peal at Dozier, i mailed my prized KS-1 Master Skinner to Dozier to have a new sheath made for it. In June, after emailing Dozier on the status I received email confirmation from Kerry Peal at Dozier that she had received my knife and she said she thought it would be completed soon by their worker Mucuo. After about a month, I emailed Kerry Peal again to check status, Kerry said she "should have had it back by now and she would get back to me". That was the last time I heard from Kerry Peal at Dozier Knives. I have called numerous times and left messages as no one answers the phone, ive written a letter thru USPS and I've emailed numerous times to hear nothing on my prized Dozier Master Skinner. I am losing hope that I will ever see my favorite knife again. Scott Campbell, New Kent, Va.
Now that is disheartening, sounds like a fraudulent case of theft. I hope you can get back to us with some good news on your endeavor.

Lost a Scrapyard 5 out in a remote area, was hunting and stopped near a fallen tree for water and a feed. Being pretty tired I left it on the log. Out there it is flat and featureless so hard to find that log again. Only saving grace was that I remember checking on the GPS and I was 5.2km from my vehicle. Fortunately I didn’t delete that point (where the vehicle was) and a couple of days later managed to get back out there and walk on an ark of 5.2km from the vehicle way point till I found “the fallen tree” but still no knife obvious. Searched a bit and somehow it had gotten down under the end of the log in the root ball space.

Lost a different Scrapyard 5 for nearly two years !!!! It had never left the house but was MIA. Ended up finding it inside a brand new never used still with the tags on it bag under a bed. I have NO idea how that happened !!

Lost a Scrapyard 5 out in a remote area, was hunting and stopped near a fallen tree for water and a feed. Being pretty tired I left it on the log. Out there it is flat and featureless so hard to find that log again. Only saving grace was that I remember checking on the GPS and I was 5.2km from my vehicle. Fortunately I didn’t delete that point (where the vehicle was) and a couple of days later managed to get back out there and walk on an ark of 5.2km from the vehicle way point till I found “the fallen tree” but still no knife obvious. Searched a bit and somehow it had gotten down under the end of the log in the root ball space.

Lost a different Scrapyard 5 for nearly two years !!!! It had never left the house but was MIA. Ended up finding it inside a brand new never used still with the tags on it bag under a bed. I have NO idea how that happened !!
I know those Busse's aren't cheap... but the journey to be reunited with it again sure sounds splendid. How do you lose a brand new knife brother and under your bed!? 😆 We're you hiding it from the Mrs??? 😏🤫
Sounds like something I would do during my drinking days, buy a knife online while tipsy, forget that I ordered it, then shamefully hide it out of guilt when it arrived to fend off an earful from the ol' lady. 🤷‍♂️

I suspect it may have been one of my godkids that dropped it in that bag then I shoved it under the spare bed. Let’s just say there are more than a “few” Busse knives around the house.

Back