Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

I’d say 10,000 years would meet the criteria for this sub-forum:thumbsup: But you really should replace that Seahawks hat with a Packers hat so you’ll stop embarrassing yourself:D:D

Well, technically I should be passing on Scotty early this next week, but I am finally getting to get out and do some real archaeological survey next week, so I am going to take Scotty with me and mail it off on the 29th. After a month of monitoring, it will be nice to get out and do some digging of my own. But even monitoring has its pleasures.

20190418_100427.jpg
During excavations for the footings of a new building I spotted this porcelain figurine from Germany and an 1940's era bottle with the top still on. This isn't really all that old, but still old enough to be fun.

20190418_105410.jpg
More excitingly, I found this hand blown bottle from the 1800's. I really wasn't expecting to find anything this old in the part of the project that it was found, so it was a neat surprise. We also found some other older stuff.

Who will I be sending Scotty off to next?

That is entirely your call. Interesting stuff for sure. As a kid we played, hiked and hunted on some property that once had a few large mines operating. It was hilly and wooded. There were just a few foundations left and every now and then we’d find an old bottle, jar or some other interesting object that we’d try to figure out what it was. On my trip back home last month a buddy, who owns a lot of the old mine property, showed me a couple of photos of what they looked like when they were operational. It looks as different today as another planet compared to these pictures. I can only imagine what’s in the ground there.

1-FB0409-E-3513-4245-BCB5-78-CFE386419-F.jpg

Well, technically I should be passing on Scotty early this next week, but I am finally getting to get out and do some real archaeological survey next week, so I am going to take Scotty with me and mail it off on the 29th. After a month of monitoring, it will be nice to get out and do some digging of my own. But even monitoring has its pleasures.

View attachment 1114469
During excavations for the footings of a new building I spotted this porcelain figurine from Germany and an 1940's era bottle with the top still on. This isn't really all that old, but still old enough to be fun.

View attachment 1114468
More excitingly, I found this hand blown bottle from the 1800's. I really wasn't expecting to find anything this old in the part of the project that it was found, so it was a neat surprise. We also found some other older stuff.

Looks like seas165, or StroppingYoungLad, or Jolipapa (France) or Neko2 or maybe misplaced Hillbilly?

Okay, I have to start off by saying that I haven't mailed the knife yet. Working in the field last week left me too tired to spend much time on the computer after the day was done, and then I had a quick trip to Texas over the weekend, so I didn't manage to make my pick for who gets the knife next and get in touch with them.

I am trying to catch up now. I'd like to pick Jolipapa Jolipapa to get the knife next. Scotty is a well traveled knife, but I think it could use a little Old-World exposure. Plus, I gotta show some solidarity with another member who mentions fatherhood in their username.

I am very sorry to say that during my week of excavation, I found absolutely nothing worth taking a picture with. We were digging on the coast, and where we were digging proved to be just rapidly depositing tidal muck. It was smelly and the highlight of one day was finding a chunk of tire rubber more than a meter underground... But I did get some lovely views on a survey of a landslide.20190422_154925.jpg
It's been rainy, and the steep hills slip around sometimes.

20190422_134237.jpg And of course, spring brings flowers :)

20190422_132453.jpg
The Oregon Coast is lovely.

In fun news from today, after cleaning artifacts from the construction site I have been monitoring, we identified one of the figurines. It is a Frozen Charlotte doll. A truly macabre Victorian era type of doll (Wikipedia link).
20190429_161817.jpg
But I have failed in my most important duty, photographing Scotty for this thread. Hopefully Jolipapa can be better about photos.

It has been a real pleasure spending a month with Scotty.

We’ve always pronounced it hollow like it’s spelled, but it’s always had the conotation of “holler”. The hollow is just a ravine with a creek bed in it that is the prime spot for squirrel hunting here on the farm.

In Leinie's country we called those coulees.

I introduced her to the neighborhood. This is Southward, the ugly big block on the left hides the Sacré-Coeur meringue. By night we see the Eiffel tower's searchlight.
Frontier-03.jpg
Just for the fun I showed her how it looked in the middle 60s, with a quary, a coffee factory and an industrial cold cut.
Frontier-06.jpg

On the North balcony, she helped remove faded primroses.
Behind the big chimney stood a Citroën plant where they built 2cvs. They were then sent by the Seine river on barges to Le Havre for export. Dozens of cars were waiting for embarkment, I should have taken one... :rolleyes::D
The birds are busy nesting in the plane trees and there are ferocious dogfights between magpies and crows with loud cawings.
Frontier-05.jpg

I intended to make pictures at the market this morning but the constant rain prevented to. So I decided I would concentrate on prep food and check Scotty's ability.
First of the year tomatoes come from Brittany. Raised above ground, no great taste, guess I'll wait till sun is back (the good thing is that they use ladybugs to fight insects)! Scotty was very efficient at peeling and cutting.
Frontier-07.jpg

Cutting onions then proved to be a child's game.
Frontier-08.jpg

Lemon to season the tomato salad had no time to realize he was cut.
Frontier-10.jpg

I won't try to make you believe she peeled potatoes, I have the perfect tool for that (carbon never needed sharpening)...
Frontier-09.jpg

...but she cut them squarely.
Frontier-11.jpg

Wednesday is market day, when I buy most food, because most is local and if they sell me b...s..t they know they will have the feedback the following week. :D Since I go, most sellers are quite friends and they often come and have a glass before packing.
HereThis is for most season vegetables;
Frontier-14.jpg
and here for fine cheese.
Frontier-15.jpg

A glass and chat with pals before heading home.
Frontier-16.jpg

Today's lunch menu is stuffed zucchinis. Scotty will have some work to do. :)
Frontier-17.jpg
Frontier-18.jpg
Frontier-20.jpg
Frontier-19.jpg
Frontier-21.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday is market day, when I buy most food, because most is local and if they sell me b...s..t they know they will have the feedback the following week. :D Since I go, most sellers are quite friends and they often come and have a glass before packing.
HereThis is for most season vegetables;
View attachment 1128805
and here for fine cheese.
View attachment 1128806

A glass and chat with pals before heading home.
View attachment 1128808

Today's lunch menu is stuffed zucchinis. Scotty will have some work to do. :)
View attachment 1128809
View attachment 1128814
View attachment 1128871
View attachment 1128815
View attachment 1128816

I may have to end this adventure early and come over in person to get that knife back. Jet lag would probably cause me to rest up for a week, or three, and of course I’d need to eat some foodo_O

I may have to end this adventure early and come over in person to get that knife back. Jet lag would probably cause me to rest up for a week, or three, and of course I’d need to eat some foodo_O
You know what they say : when there's enough for one, there's enough for two... :)

Weather is rapidly changing these days, so we left early this morning, before the places are invaded by tourists -and much worse- by the buses :mad:.
Frontier-32.jpg
Frontier-24.jpg

The cool Avenue Rachel, Paris shortest avenue.
Frontier-27.jpg

Frontier-30.jpg

If you've seen "Amélie", this is her workplace. (Don't tell all the Japanese who take daily billions of billions of pictures that only the front remains unchanged - business is business! ;) )
2_Moulins.jpg
Let's keep on upward.
Frontier-28.jpg
Apéritif time is nearing, so we head to a smooth place. Mirrors all around and mosaics, just like one of those cosy establishments, you know, where children were not allowed in :eek:. They all closed after WW2 and we can enjoy a fresh draft beer now.:D The pictures represent Cyrano, who gave his name to the pub.
le_Cyrano.jpg
Frontier-25.jpg

After resting a while, en route for a good lunch. For fear Scotty would feel homesick, a fine American restaurant, ribs and cornbread.:)
Frontier-22.jpg

Back