1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by 315, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Then back home by bus.
    We stopped counting how many unfortunate visitors jump in it, believing it will take them to the Sacré-Coeur de Montmartre (he does not) but it goes to the Porte de Montmartre, happily, this is the terminal (it is the limit of Paris city / suburbs thus Porte # Gate, where merchandises entering had to pay fees, once surrounded by the fortifications where I used to go and play when a youngster:rolleyes:) and they'll just have to hop in another bus and with a bit of luck someone will indicate them the good station and their way. :)

Frontier-33.jpg

Nevertheless this gives them a good opportunity to discover the public housing's red bricks architecture common to the "Maréchals bvds" that enclose the city (all have the name of a Napoleonic maréchal - Ney, Macdonald, Serrurier, etc...-)!
    Frontier-34.jpg

TheChunk91, peanutsxx, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    It’s pretty pathetic when a knife eats better than I do;)

Jolipapa, Will Power and zolthar like this.
  3. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    315, Jolipapa and Will Power like this.
  4. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    White coffee before going to the market.
    Frontier-35.jpg
    ...picon beer after. Wonder why the picture is blurred, t' is the first one! :)
    Frontier-36.jpg

Then replanting tomatoes in the garden.
    Frontier-37.jpg

5. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Endive salad today with walnuts and the tasty roquefort I found yesterday at the market.
    Frontier-38.jpg
    Frontier-39.jpg

6. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Great pics, and what a grand tour of Paris Scotty is getting! I was there twice last year and wish I'd have known a "local". I'm not sure what the plan is for Scotty but if there is room and time on the list I'd be more than happy to show that knife around Northern Minnesota's lakes and forests.

Jolipapa likes this.
  7. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Sorry for the late answer. I'll take Scotty to the country next week, and then she will fly for a new (still secret ;)) destination. All I'm allowed to say is she will stay in Europe. :)
    Nevertheless, good notice has been taken and visiting Minnesota is on her short list. :)
    Tomorrow I'll take her to the poll station then on for a stroll.

dcpritch, 315 and abbydaddy like this.
  8. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    In 2012 Paris did not get the Summer Olympic Games (did not have that luck for 24' :thumbsdown:), the Olympic village would have been built in place of a huge railway custom / merchandise station / locomotive repair workshop (Paris Liberation started there with a rail workers strike) known as gare des Batignolles. Plans have changed but the station left the place nevertheless.
    I had never been and see what had happened since.
    Not sure I'd like to live there, but quite pleasant for a 2h promenade under the sun.
    Frontier-43.jpg
    Frontier-49.jpg
    Frontier-48.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    Frontier-44.jpg
    Frontier-41.jpg

Just for the pleasure, this is how it looked until recently, except for cars, nothing had changed. (postcards courtesy http://www.didierfavre.com/ParcBatignolles28.php)
    Gare-marchandises-Batignolles-1.jpg
    1903-Cardinet.jpg
    ...and what it will look when done.
    [​IMG]
    Call me a grumpy git, and guess what I do prefer...;)

ISKRA, peanutsxx, Peregrin and 7 others like this.
  9. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Frontier-40.jpg
    After a little rest, a good visit can't forget the Arc de Triomphe. Frontier-46.jpg

peanutsxx, Peregrin, dcpritch and 5 others like this.
  10. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Jolipapa likes this.
  11. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hard to stop progress, especially when an economy depends on it, but I would take history over modern evolution when it comes to old historic buildings anyway.

Jolipapa likes this.
  12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Very nice set of pix JP:thumbsup:

I'm in the Old Git (Grumpy) Brigade as far as those 'developments' are concerned, don't fancy those tower blocks too much but do appreciate the landscaping they've done, the ponds, Irises and the Heron do look very attractive. :cool:

zolthar and 315 like this.
  13. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Thank you, it could be worse, sure. :D
    Frontier-45.jpg

zolthar, dcpritch, 315 and 1 other person like this.
  14. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    You are enticing me to visit Paris, but then I would be just one more of those pesky tourists. ;)

315 likes this.
  15. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Tourists are welcome, we love to share the city, it's just those tour operators buses parking everywhere. These days, we are also embarrassed by scooters driven like mads on the pavement or lying derelict since there's no regulation yet.:rolleyes:
    In fact, Scotty was a good excuse to go and see to the Batignolles, without her, I would still ignore how it looks like!

zolthar and TheChunk91 like this.
  16. zolthar

Feb 9, 2015
    I have to echo Will, great pics, great landscaping, but a shame the old buildings had to go. And thanks for continuing le tour du France :)

Jolipapa likes this.
  17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Talking of Le Tour, here's some nostalgie from 1962. Note no helmets, helicopters and probably less in the way of high tech dope ;) Check out the beer they drink:cool::D

zolthar likes this.
  18. zolthar

Feb 9, 2015
    Ah wow beer beer raids :eek: That must be some sticky rice to be able to eat it while cycling :D

Will Power likes this.
  19. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Will Power likes this.
  20. Jolipapa

Jun 4, 2015
    Before the war, there was no help of any sort and the miracle medicine was from what I understand bananas macerated in red wine.o_O
    I love to watch the tour as often as possible, it's a wonderful show and a way to see breathtaking sceneries, all who were old enough remember well the battles between Anquetil and Poulidor (the ever and unlucky second, he never won, 8 times on the second step). I was lucky to work several times on it partially and entirely in 1991, the first victory of 5 for Indurrain.
    The day before the first stage, every attendant receives a very comprehensive road book, with every day's stage., showing every thing of interest, length, altitudes, points to earn, etc.
    And three schedules. One is the low speed schedule, the second is "normal" based on former years and the "speedy" schedule. In 1991, the racers arrived everyday at least a good quarter of an hour before the most optimistic schedule, even at the dreadful Alpe d'Huez.
    I remember staring at the day's winner, Bugno eating quietly Mama's pastas at the table of his parents's caravan.:)

ps on your lttle movie, Will, the music is accordion, because for years, Yvette Horner played everyday, from 1952 to 1964, seated on the top of a car for the spectators, sun or rain, before the racers. She died last year at 95.

par défaut 1.jpg Yvette Horner 2.jpg

pps In some US movie they talk of collecting base ball cards, my father rolled his fags with Riz-la + (Riz Lacroix) and kept the small pictures of famous racers, I had permission to see them once when he took them, before storing them in his cabinet. Unfortunately their fate is unknown.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Will Power and zolthar like this.