1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hinderer Skinnys

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Detroit Steel, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014

I have found the sheepsfoot is my favorite of all my Hinderers ... that's why I have a WTB more sheepfoot 3.5" in my signature ... oh yeah BTW if you have a Gen 6 sheepsfoot in NIB or near condition that you would part with ... PM me ... :rolleyes:

I would buy a Skinny sheepsfoot or 2 if they were released ... but I'm not sure about the no choil ...

I bought a couple of the new DLT releases on the 30th ... and I am thinking I may have to modify it at least a bit ... not a full finger choil ... but slightly more relief for ease of sharpening evenly.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  2. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    [​IMG]

Rykjeklut, Fullflat, onionfan and 4 others like this.
  3. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Whoa, what kind of material is all of that?

4. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s black & red G10 with a mirror finish, what you are seeing on the scale is a reflection of the near by tree branches.

[​IMG]

Jaydud, Fullflat, onionfan and 6 others like this.
  5. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    Turned out awesome man! You are great!

Keyman likes this.
  6. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
  7. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Fresh off the Mail truck.
    [​IMG]

Fullflat, Murphjd25 and zippifish like this.
  8. zippifish

zippifish Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Is that the working finish or is the lighting just making it look darker?

9. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Working finish.

zippifish likes this.
  10. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Mines working finish too, it's pretty dark overall.

I also noticed a lack of sharpness on mine, it would glide over the hair on my arm. I redid it to 20 dpi, surprised to find it more like 25 from the factory. I used a 280 grit diamond and it took for freakin ever to get to the new apex. I haven't sharpened any of my other Hinderers yet but this one required it. Just as I hit the apex and was starting to get a burr I got a couple chips near the sharpening choil, never had that happen before but they went away after working the burr a little bit. They were a little deeper than just the burr coming apart. Boy is it a slicer now!

Ruudr, DJC72 and Mr.sig239 like this.
  11. zippifish

zippifish Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Thanks trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a Skinny with the Gray Scale and Working Finish or not.

12. Detroit Steel

Detroit Steel

Jul 12, 2018
    I grabbed the stonewashed Black scale. Tried and true.

13. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    It would be pretty stealthy! With the lock side and blade in working finish it's a pretty homogeneous looking knife, if you blurred your eyes a bit you wouldn't be able to see any individual features :)

14. surlyman

surlyman Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Just received my first Hinderer in the mail: a 3" skinny sheepsfoot. Complaints about the G10 being a "pocket destroyer" and the difficulty engaging the liner lock almost made me change my mind, but that sheepsfoot blade kept calling to me. Seconds after receiving it I took a dremel to the showside finger groove and made the liner lock easier to access. The blade is amazing. Reminds me of my well loved small sebenza insingo blade. This one came razor sharp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

onionfan, Ruudr, KVT and 4 others like this.
  15. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Oh boy. USA Made Blade just got a shipment of 3.5” Skinny Sheepsfooots. :eek:

16. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    FML!

Fullflat, Rykjeklut and Murphjd25 like this.
  17. KVT

KVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Hmmmm.....

Fullflat likes this.
  18. Murphjd25

Apr 27, 2016
    I’m logging out I can’t handle this anymore:mad::D

Mako109, KVT, Fullflat and 3 others like this.
  19. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Gonna have to pick one up.

halden.doerge likes this.
  20. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Yeah I have been wanting another sheepsfoot ... as my Sig line says ... and I saw Whitty post he had the skinny sheepsfoot so I grabbed one ... it should be here Wed.

it should be a great "slicey" blade ...

Murphjd25 likes this.