Hinderer Skinnys

Got bit by mine today. Was practicing one handed open and closing and didnt pay attention when I tried to close it. It shut so fast it whacked my thumb knuckle and it started bleeding. Suckers are sharp. LOL. (must remember to keep fingers out of the way when playing)

Anyone have one of the Skinny Sheepsfoots they can compare to a CRK Zaan?

Anyone have one of the Skinny Sheepsfoots they can compare to a CRK Zaan?
Not yet, but I will tomorrow :)

For the time being, here's The Boss with a regular Sheepsfoot and Skinny Slicer:

je3VFP5.jpg

Question from a newbie , are the skinnies si different from the standard?
I am leaning toward the standard version , am I making a mistake?

I have a titanium two tone half track span to, a slicer slippy a zt0393 and a zt0562
I am waiting for a standard 3.5 xm18 spanto to show up
I think it may give me an overview of the hindered touch compared to what it have from ZT

So far i have been quite surprise by the differences between the spanto on the half track and the 0393

Question from a newbie , are the skinnies si different from the standard?
I am leaning toward the standard version , am I making a mistake?
I have a titanium two tone half track span to, a slicer slippy a zt0393 and a zt0562
I am waiting for a standard 3.5 xm18 spanto to show up
I think it may give me an overview of the hindered touch compared to what it have from ZT

So far i have been quite surprise by the differences between the spanto on the half track and the 0393

As stated above ... it all depends on what you want or like ... and your uses for it ...

the skinny versions are slimmer overall and have a bit thinner blade stock ... so they should be better slicers ... they are lighter which a lot seem to prefer ... it's not enough that I notice in pocket ... but I like bigger knives to fit my hand so I'm used to that ...

of course Hinderer offers different grinds which affect the cutting ability also ...

one thing which to many doesn't matter much ... but after market scales and hardware aren't out just yet for the skinny models ... so if you are wanting titanium scales or anodized hardware to personalize the knife ... you can't buy it right away but I assume that those will start coming out in the near future ...

I like both the regular XM-18s and the skinny versions ...

if you like a thinner lighter knife then the skinny versions may be just what you want ... if you prefer a bit thicker heavier knife then the regular or maybe even the fatty versions may be what you prefer ...

with a good reprofiling and sharpening ... I honestly can't tell alot of difference in cutting until it is fine work and the Skinnys have a slight edge ...

both are really nice knives ... just comes down to personal preference ... check out youtube for comparison videos they should show you the slight size difference (in thickness) ... and will probably give you the specs for weight comparison ect ...

I almost bought that one but went with the black G10 since I have a couple of the blue/black already ... they are my personal favorite factory G10 scales ...

but most get titanium or micarta after they get here ...

mine skinny sheepsfoot ... the USPS decided to take for a sight seeing tour so hopefully they get it back on track and it shows up this week ...

I decided to give a Skinny Slicer Choil-less a go. Will report back when it arrives.
What size blade did you get? I have the 3.5 and can't believe how smooth it opens and closes. Almost as good as my Todd Begg costing several dollars more.

OK, this is a really impressive knife. Thinnier than I anticipated, yet some how it works ergo-wise. Haven't cut a thing yet, but I think it will be very slicey. Action on par with my most recent Gen4's once broken in. A Shiro-killer it is not, which actually is a good thing in my book. Only thing is, I also received a Gen3 nonFlipper Spanto 3.5" in 20CV, freshly back from a spa visit to the Ranch, and this thing is blowing my mind. May be the best knife I've had in a decade.

Last edited:
my Skinny Sheepsfoot finally made it's way to my house today ... after the USPS sent it on a week long tour of New York and New Jersey ...

can't wait to reprofile it and put it to work ... I love the way my regular sheepsfoot cuts ...

this should be one heck of a slicer.

OK, this is a really impressive knife. Thinnier than I anticipated, yet some how it works ergo-wise. Haven't cut a thing yet, but I think it will be very slicey. Action on par with my most recent Gen4's once broken in. A Shiro-killer it is not, which actually is a good thing in my book. Only thing is, I also received a Gen3 nonFlipper Spanto 3.5" in 20CV, freshly back from a spa visit to the Ranch, and this thing is blowing my mind. May be the best knife I've had in a decade.

So Hinderer also does spa treatment like CRK? Like re-treating the handle to remove scratches?

For anyone on the fence about the DLT choil-less slicer, they are pretty impressive. I've actually never had a slicer grind, and I must say I like it on an XM. I might keep my eyes open for a standard width non-flipper slicer. As an aside, I think Hinderer does some of the best looking stonewashing there is.

O8Pxnmfh.jpg

OOfP43wh.jpg

YuFAsS3h.jpg

duKf7ASh.jpg

CogMTEbh.jpg

euWgkImh.jpg

nKEsfoEh.jpg

Last edited:
Back