How did you quit smoking?

Started with this:

Moved up to this:

Finally wound up with this:

And that thing makes satisfying clouds like this:

Who needs cigarettes? F@€# those damn stank sticks! I'm convinced anybody can quit with a quality vape setup. I'm living proof. I didn't think I'd ever quit.

You need regulation if you're going to use kanger pro tanks. A mech mod is suitable if you build your own coils on an RDA, or RTA. Look into an IStick 50 watt, or something.
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I have a 50 watt iStick with a Delta II tank. My backup is a 20 watt iStick with a mini Nautilus. I'm convinced ANYBODY could quit with a quality vape setup. Mech mods are for people who REALLY know what they're doing. You have to be careful with them, or blow your face off. Tanks on mech mods are generally a no-no. Dripping atomizers are much better suited to them.
Anybody who doesn't want to turn vaping into a "hobby" should get a regulated box mod of some type, and a tank. Fill the tank, charge the device, and use it all day. Simple. No fuss, no muss. I didn't want vaping to become a hobby either, and it hasn't. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have started with a 50 watt iStick, a Kanger Subtank Mini, and some quality juice.
An excellent place to get juice is quitthatgrit.com. They have great juice, super quality, super smooth, cheap as hell. My current addiction is their "Serial Kraving" flavor. Tastes EXACTLY like froot loops and milk. It's delicious.
I've been through everything from gas station pos cigalikes, to blue ecigs, to evods with cartomisers, to ego twist batts, to mech mods with drippers, regulated box mods, etc.
Straight dope - if you want to quit, and you want to start with an excellent setup, with room to experiment, but don't want to start a new hobby and get all up into it - get a 50 watt iStick, a Kanger Mini Subtank, and whatever juice flavor sounds good to you. About 12mg nic should do the trick with that setup.
Save yourself the aggravation, and start with what you WILL eventually end up with. My setup I'm using now (and I'm also recommending to all smokers) cost me a total of 80 bucks or so.
Is your life worth 80 bucks? Your next knife will probably cost at least that much... Good luck.

Simply by having my wife and me agreeing to quit.
Well it wasn't that simple, but we both kept each other in check and wanted to quit. So far almost a year working.

I have smoked for the last 15 years. Got up to 3 packs a day, and "cut back" to one a day. Its seriously affecting my quality of life, but i just cant make myself WANT to quit.

I cant stand the smell on my clothes, vehicle, home, etc. Its disgusting. Its trashy. Its expensive. Its deadly. Problem is, i LOVE to smoke. Oh the irony.

When ive tried to quit in the past, the withdrawals are heinous for me. My vision is like looking through a pane of shattered glass, i get so sick, cant think straight. Make stupid choices and mistakes. But the worst is the irritability. Im highly anxious and irritable by nature anyway, but then it goes so far off the charts, that i legitimately risk getting fired or possibly even jail. I completely lose all reason when im like that. And im normally extremely calculating and clear headed.

I absolutely NEED to quit, but i cant get my mind to agree. Cant make myself take that first step because when it all boils down, i still WANT to smoke.

My poor mom has smoked for the last 40 years and tried to quit for the sake of health insurance. Understand, i have NEVER known anyone with even close to the amount of willpower this woman has. She quit for an entire month, and had to start back up because her withdrawals were actually getting worse after the first two weeks, which makes no logical sense at all.

Plainly put. Im scared. My willpower is honestly very weak, so if she couldnt do it, what hope do i have?

Thx for reading the long intro.

What worked for you?

Well let's see:

You confirmed to yourself your scared.
You confirmed to yourself you have no willpower.
You confirmed to yourself if mom can't quit you can't.

You have ZERO CHANCE OF QUITTING until you stop sending your brain these defeating conformations. There is no gimmick, grow up now and stop sticking cigarettes in your mouth or you will be sucking in deadly carbon monoxide until you wish you were dead or it kills you. These are the choices faced by all smokers, period.

DD214,
Now that there are two what? Not sure what you mean. Also, how did you PM with only a Registered User membership? The trouble with meds is ive tried Wellbutrin and other meds in that class, and they ROYALLY efff me up. They cause me to experience hyper exaggerated versions of the symptoms they're marketed to ease. Sucks cuz my buddy used Wellbutrin to quit, and it worked great for him. I am extremely hesitant to try Chantix, considering my unique reaction to head drugs. And ive heard some insane horror stories. Also, no insurance.

Gave the nicotine supplements a shot a few times. No luck.

As Russ stated, I have to WANT to quit, and have been struggling for years to convince my brain of that. I cant make myself not like or want something no matter what i do. I write down charts of pros and cons and costs and diseases and other motivations, but AAAAARRGGGHHH it means nothing !!!!

Basically for me, the only option im left with is fearfully waiting in Prayer that it will finally sink in where the WANT goes away. After years of that its looking bleak.

Its my only hope.

Thx for the replies guys.

Maybe a good friend or loved one will leave you a false voice mail after a yearly physical that a tumor has been found in your lung, if that doesn't motivate you just go ahead and smoke your ass off.

Didn't read the whole thing here, so this might have been suggested. I took chantix. The way it works is that it binds to the nicotine receptors in your brain. You take it for a week or so while smoking. The whole time you are basically quitting, because you are getting less and less of the nicotine while you are still smoking. Then you drop off entirely. There are side effects. The meds made me mildly nauseous. Some people have crazy vivid dreams. I've had friends try it and quit because the dreams were too weird. Save up the money from your first three months and buy something really great. Good luck.

Long time ago, like, 40+ years, I started jogging. Took a couple of months but I found the exercise high replaced my craving for tobacco. Well, mostly; I smoke a pipe or a cigar occasionally now, usually when out camping. Or on the occasion of a new grandchild. But no cigarettes.

[URL=http://s284.photobucket.com/user/bradgordon0/media/IMG_20150312_074637_zpsqcvlsxxm.jpg.html][/URL]

I started vaping 18 months ago and haven't smoked since. I was rolling my own (Drum) 30 a day...Like everyone else has said, skip the crappy ecigs and buy a good unit and some good juice. Start with a high nicotine level and wean yourself off of it. I started vaping 2 tanks a day of 21mg nicotine and am down to a tank a week of 6mg. I buy high end juices like 5 pawns. I love it. Here's a pic of my Provari.

^^^Nice Provari! I guess this is not toooo far off topic - what do you like from 5 pawns? I like Black Flag Fallen, Gambit, and Castle Long quite a bit. They're expensive, but worth it, especially to give up cigarettes. I'm on 6mg nic myself, started with 12mg. Moving down to 3mg in a week or so...

Another vote for vaping. Reo grand with rogue rda:D i vape unflavored 10mg nic so my cost of vaping is something like $5 a month

i was dipping and smoking for almost 20 yrs and decided to quite myself. i did some research and started using a vaporizer. started out with 24 mg nicotine level and now im down to 3mg. 30 ml bottle lasts me about a week or so. it is alittle bit pricey to start out but i feel better and i dont stink or have spit cups around any more. planning on quiting the vaporizer end of this month. hope this helps

I been cigarette free for just over 3 weeks. I stepped down from 12 to an approximate 9 I mixed up when I ordered some 6. I will repeat this when I'm almost out of 6.

Wow right on Charlie Mike! Almost 3 months for me. I'm loving my I stick 30 and mini subtank.

That's pretty quick to drip in nicotine. Don't be afraid to step it back up if it's not cutting it. But if it works then all the better!

I quit on 12mg, went down to 6mg week 2. Tried to go back up after a month because I imagined I was "missing something". Overnic'd myself and it was not fun for a few hours. Stepping down is great. It's weird for a coupe days but then you don't even notice. It's impossible to go back up - you'll hurt yourself.
I'm still digging my 50 watt iStick/Delta II combo. Just bought the rebuildable coil for the Delta last week and been using it ever since. I've got enough wire and cotton to last me 50 years, so this coil is basically going to last forever. The 50 watt iStick is pretty bulletproof as well. I've dropped mine, knocked it over, left it outside, all good. And still no button rattle.

Better than smoking, no?

I can tell you firsthand, it is far and away, miles and miles better than smoking. It is a nicotine delivery system that does not include all the tar, and gajillion other chemicals that cigs have in them. Cigarettes are engineered to keep you addicted, until they kill you. Not so with vaping. No formaldehyde added to make you like a certain brand of juice (like good ol Marlboro does). It's much easier to go without vaping than smoking.

Anyhow, I'm proud of you CM for making the switch, and everybody else who has as well. Keep on keepin on. If you used to smoke, and now you vape, you know what's up.

Better than smoking, no?

I can tell you firsthand, it is far and away, miles and miles better than smoking. It is a nicotine delivery system that does not include all the tar, and gajillion other chemicals that cigs have in them. Cigarettes are engineered to keep you addicted, until they kill you. Not so with vaping. No formaldehyde added to make you like a certain brand of juice (like good ol Marlboro does). It's much easier to go without vaping than smoking.

I always wonder what the effects of vaping will be 10 years down the road. I'm not for or against, and if it helps people quit smoking that is wonderful. I too believe that cigs have got too be worse for your health.

The thing that makes me wonder about vaping is all the flavors people are inhaling. I can't imagine that those are very good for a person.

I got sick as a dog last Christmas and was bed ridden for 3 days. So sick that the thought of a smoke made my stomach hurt more. Well I went three days with like 5 cigs and thought damn, those were the hardest days. So I just decided to quit. It's not been long, just shy of 4 months. But the old ball and chain and I both quit when I did, and we are doing good. So far only 1 slip up apiece and we had both been partaking in the adult beverage. But holding strong. I wish you luck.

Back