If you could only live with one knife brand...

Tough to narrow it down, since i only have 4 brands in my collection, namely Enlan, Sanrenmu, Taylor Schrade and Taylor Smith & Wesson, in order of preference and it's a tie between Enlan and Sanrenmu.

I guess I'd go with Sanrenmu for their greater variety and one-of-a-kind detent mechanism. Enlan has been stagnant with their lineup for at least a year already and there were initially rumours of them planning to cease production.

I like Spyderco better for numerous reasons, but I would honestly have to pick Cold Steel if you restricted me to a single manufacturer. Tough, affordable folders with good steel and cutting geometry, tough, affordable fixed blades with good steel and good cutting geometry.

If it was just fixed blades, or just folders, or even if I could pick a company for each my answer would be different, but CS makes at least something to fill all my cutting needs. Hard to find an axe or machete from Benchmade or Spyderco and I can't get a good, solid folder from Condor, Becker or ESEE.

Although, if you count everything under the Kabar umbrella, they would be a strong contender.

This is what I was thinking. My second pick would be Spyderco for the same reason.

I think I wouldn't want to live anymore......

But... If I "had" to choose, believe it or not, after much consideration, I would go with Boker...

Maybe not the "best" brand out there, but still a quality product more often then not, serviceable, and they have options... Tradional Slip joints and fixed blades of varying sizes, quality kitchen knives to even some basic multitools, and many many folders in between of varying designs and lock types... From sub-$20 mass productions to $$$ collectors, and many many in between from $50-$150.....

If I HAD to rely on one "knife" brand only, I think they would fit the bill to keep me happiest...

KAI world be my second choice, Kershaw, ZT, and Shun are all great quality, but I would miss the traditional too much...

But, this is all based on their current product lines: in a hypothetical scenario where only one knife brand existed, one would think, hypothetical, that the said brand would venture into making all types of knives, utilizing various steels that may be unfamiliar to them now...

But, this is all based on their current product lines: in a hypothetical scenario where only one knife brand existed, one would think, hypothetical, that the said brand would venture into making all types of knives, utilizing various steels that may be unfamiliar to them now...

Or they could prune down the selection so much that you only have a few things to increase profits and minimize production issues.

Strategy9, we'll just have to issue your Boker card.

If I currently owned zero knives and I had to choose a currently available brand of knives for all future use, I would choose either Benchmade or Spyderco. Both companies make high quality cutlery, both companies have reputations for great customer service and both companies manufacture more than enough models to see me through any future cutlery needs.

I think spyderco was mentioned the most along with victorinox and Kai. I might be the only one who mentioned Emerson.

I have purchased all the top brands including Chris Reeve knives.
When I look in my edc drawer, they are all Spyderco's. So Spyderco it is!

Since I am into all kinds of knife styles, I would go with the company that has the greatest variation and that would certainly be Cold Steel. They are far from the best in any category, but they make blades for every category and I can't think of another company that does that.

Or they could prune down the selection so much that you only have a few things to increase profits and minimize production issues.

Strategy9, we'll just have to issue your Boker card.

Or... They could make their cheaper models. For the normies, and charge ridiculous premiums for any upgrades, at their own whin, which us knife nuts would surely wind up paying if it was the only option available....

Another thing, if, only one knife "brand" existed, the custom market would absolutely explode, as certainly there would still always be others outside if corporate who knew how to make knives, or didn't, but wanted to learn... So tons of options would still be available...

I think if how in the Philippines they have complete small gun manufacturers working out of garages and such, making dang near every type of gun you can think off...

Totally didnt think about kitchen knives. Strider would be terrible in the kitchen.

If the entirety of kai is permitted then due to shun in the kitchen and zt for EDC id take kai...or Benchmade. Hard to pick.

Böker or Spyderco, leaning more towards Spyderco. Both companies have something for every different task you may need a knife for.

If i had to pick one i would go with Buck but i would really miss Victorinox and Spyderco.

Jim

Even though I don't own a Spyderco, that would be my pick, based on the awesome Spydie-hole, great steel choices, and so many size/ergo choices.

Back