If you had to take one knife to war

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Blade master, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inazone

Inazone

Aug 27, 2012
    I always take these scenarios to imply more of a "Red Dawn" scenario than traditional deployment, meaning that you're going to fend for yourself with whatever is already in your possession, not what the taxpayers bestowed upon you. I also take the knives to be more for combat than utility, even if in reality I have no business in combat. (I suppose it was about 22 years ago that I decided against joining the ol' US Army, so any going to war for me would mean something highly unlikely on our own soil, but if that day ever came, I guess I'd be happy to have all sorts of shooty, stabby things at my disposal to hold to the fort.)

Fixed: CRKT Ultima 7 *or* Buck Nighthawk
    Folding: CRKT Hammond Cruiser *or* Buck CSAR-T

Just a coincidence that two CRKTs and two Bucks would be my choices.

2. Nellem

Nellem

Mar 20, 2014
    If you know what you are going to be up against (terrain, opponent, weapons/technology involved, etc) you will select what is most appropriate. If however you have no idea and want to cover as many scenarios as possible I would recommend a good multi-tool (Leatherman, etc), and a medium sized (5") fixed blade (preferably with a spear point ... to be used as a spear if needed) to do what the multi-tool can't. This fixed blade must have a steel blade that can be sharpened on less than ideal surfaces.

3. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN

Aug 7, 2010
    It would be a bayonette attached to the end of my M4.

4. Cadillac86

Cadillac86

May 24, 2011
    I'm just going to throw this out there because I've seen a couple of "whatever is issued". The only "bladed" object I was ever issued was my e-tool. Never issued a multi tool or a blade of any kind. (Ok, well I did get a benchmade seatbelt cutter because I was in the ambulance platoon).

5. Sikael

Sikael

Aug 30, 2014
    If it was one folder, I'd go with the Spyderco Farid Mehr K2 -- firstly, based on the 'you can do small jobs with a big knife, but you can't do big jobs with a small knife' principle; secondly, because it's a blade design that's optimal for deep slicing, quick slashing, AND stabbing; thirdly, the CPM 10V blade steel has crazy edge-retention properties and impressive toughness; lastly, it has a Sebenza-like simplicity of design that allows easy cleaning and maintenance, and has very little that CAN go wrong with it.

If it's a fixed-blade, the Bark River Bravo III, for almost exactly the same reasons I'd take the K2: it's huge enough to be a machete, a battle-sword, a log-splitter, but with excellent ergonomics that make it great for smaller jobs as well; the CPM 3V is perfect for the scaled-up dimensions; and while it's not exactly made for stabbing, it can still pierce effectively... but when it comes to hacking at enemies, it's a monster, a chopping tool that's built for battlefield brutality.

Edit: I'm not military, and never will be. So for me, the battlefield would be my own backyard, a combination of heavily forested wilderness and small cities. This is all speculation about stuff that's about as likely as the Rapture, so I'm not real concerned about differences of opinion. I find it pretty funny, however, that some people like to get all smug and self-righteous about big knives, or claim that it doesn't matter what knife you bring to the battlefield. WTF are you doing in this thread? This forum? People who spend a lot of time thinking about EDC options in peace-time suddenly lose all need for a knife in a warzone? Whatever. I carry around a ZT 0561, a Spyderco Manix 2 XL, or a Spyderco K2 for an EDC, and a couple extra ounces do not bother me in the least. If I do that living in one of the safest and stable countries on the planet, I'll sure as hell make room for a chopper in a warzone, if things suddenly went straight to hell. That said, big knives aren't as useful in the desert environment of the Middle East as they are in forests or jungles, obviously. I'm not thinking about the Middle East, and I don't plan on picking a fight with any desert-dwellers... even though ISIS are the most infuriating assholes on the planet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. raybo

raybo

May 2, 2012
    Folder- Demko AD 10....Fixed - Busse NMSFNO......That would work for me!

7. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Last deployment, I used my trusty Bedlam 8600 Auto and my Strider MK1.

I do bring an Adamas auto and push dagger as well and a ZT150; but the first two are my main knives.

8. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    This one..........................Fes

[​IMG]

9. edged932

edged932

Apr 17, 2014
    kershaw emerson cqc-6k for utility and as a last resort and also if i lose it it's cheap so i dont care as far as a fixed blade is concerned it would be some kind of boot dagger for me such as the cold steel counter tac 1 kept on a webbing belt purely for the purpose of sticking a bad guy. of course i'm sure a sak would find its way into my pocket as well. neither of these knives have the greatest steel but at least it only takes a few passes on a stone to put a hair popping edge back on them.

10. hooahmonster

hooahmonster

Apr 15, 2010
    What I carried as a TACP 1989-1991 including Desert Storm

SAK Tinker
    SAK locking blade
    Leatherman
    Early model Spyderco
    Cold Steel SRK
    Benchmade Delta Raider
    EK Bowie
    Issue bayonet
    Ontario (I think) 12 inch Machete in my pack

What I actually USED most of the time
    Leatherman
    12 inch machete

Rarely did I need anything in between, but kept the other knives on my web gear, and rarely felt the need to unsheath.

What I WOULD carry if under the same circumstances would vary now more on terrain but I imagine what I still would use would be very similar.

Multitasker tool (which would also cover a folder and tool for GAU-5/M-4)
    ESEE Junglas in anything with woods, probably an ESEE 3 or 4 in desert/arid

I don't think most people I served with thought they would get in a knife fight, except E3s who bought Buckmaster Rambo knives.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  11. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Spent some time on an ambulance but never saw a seatbelt cutter of any type. They did issue me a wristwatch though. As a medic, I was issued a .45 most of the time so I would not have had a bayonet. I remember when we changed over to the M9 Beretta. Not a big fan of the 9mm but I have to admit, the Beretta is very cool. I was more comfortable with the 1911, fit my hand better.

We were told it was up to the Company Commander if bayonets were issued. Depended upon what the mission was. Multi tools were issued only to certain people based upon their MOS and position.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  12. pyro777

pyro777

Sep 15, 2008
    Folder: Leatherman Wave
    Fixed Blade: Esee 3
    I would feel perfectly comfortable with this pair in any situation.

13. mrbear

mrbear

Sep 17, 2009
    This
    [​IMG]

14. kagato82

kagato82 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Fixed: Gerber LMF II Infantry
    Folder: ZT 0301

15. SENGVIN

SENGVIN Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well I would take the knife I made in Hibben class cpm d2 :
    [​IMG]
    and than this one D2 :
    [​IMG]

No room for folder at War for me

16. BumblingBear

BumblingBear Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2015
    I took a couple knives to war.

They were an MOD CDQ MK I and a Glock fighting knife.

17. Catherine_Montana

Catherine_Montana

Sep 10, 2014
    You made a beautiful knife!

Cate

18. Dantone05

Dantone05

Dec 31, 2014
    I'll take my ESEE Junglas and my large insingo 21 with micarta inlays. Both hard users for me that would serve well.

19. nick21

nick21

Feb 22, 2014
    Case Peanut

20. orezona

orezona

Feb 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.