If you had to take one knife to war

Status
Not open for further replies.
This
led-lightsaber-role-playing-5.jpg

I see your saber and raise you a bat'leth!

Loads of cutting edges for opening MRE's, sentries, and cans of baked beans whilst dealing death blows to naysayers...

batleth.jpg

SOG flash II because cheap + lifetime warranty.

Fixed: Coustille dagger: 18" double edged blade :)

If I were in the unenviable situation where my part in war were necessary, and I had no idea where I was going - it would likely be my ZT0777 as my folder (Because t rides with me everywhere, and I am intimately familiar with it as well as the blade alloy).

And as for my fixed blade - it would probably be one of my Himalayan imports khukuris (Bashpati by Rajkumar, or my chiruwa handled Sirupati by Tirtha).

It would be the khukuri not because I expect to get into a situation where melee occurs, nor even because my first martial arts training heavily incorporated swords.

But because I am very familiar with both the fit and feel of the blades, as well as the steel. I know what those blades will survive.

As with any trade, eventuality, or circumstance. If you are not comfortable with what you use - having the perfect instrument is meaningless.

I don't like the rules. I don't want a folder. I want a fixed knife no bigger than a large folder, my BK14 as a backup blade. When ya'll's folders break, you'll be wishing you had one, too :)

Then an CS SRK San Mai III for the primary.

But if I can't carry my Leatherman ST300 and a BK14, I'll take the ST300.

I have taken knives to war. Three full tours as an 11B. Folders break. Name a folder and I have seen one break. They are disposable. Learned that the first go. So take a cheap one (half dozen or so of them) that sharpens quickLy on anything, you won't have time to take care of a super steel.

For fixed. I wore a Glock field knife from wake up to sleep time so it wasn't off my body much at all. It survived all three tours. You name it it did it. From butchering a goat to digging holes and being sharpened on stones I dug up and stropped on a M2 barrel. It even got blown up with me twice. It is beat up, but I still have it and use it.

I have taken knives to war. Three full tours as an 11B. Folders break. Name a folder and I have seen one break. They are disposable. Learned that the first go. So take a cheap one (half dozen or so of them) that sharpens quickLy on anything, you won't have time to take care of a super steel.

For fixed. I wore a Glock field knife from wake up to sleep time so it wasn't off my body much at all. It survived all three tours. You name it it did it. From butchering a goat to digging holes and being sharpened on stones I dug up and stropped on a M2 barrel. It even got blown up with me twice. It is beat up, but I still have it and use it.
Pics please? I love seeing pictures of well used knives. Warms my heart. :thumbup:

Fixed blade... My grandfather's Cattaraugus 225Q that he carried in combat in Europe. I restored it.

Folder... my DDR custom AA-AXD.

Charlie Mike - That Cattaraugus Quartermaster is awesome. Please post a few more pictures of it and the pommel? I am still restoring one myself. I love what you did with the handle. Interesting story to go along with it as well.:thumbup:

Pics please? I love seeing pictures of well used knives. Warms my heart. :thumbup:

I don't have any pics of it. I do have some of it on me last tour. Would have to put them on a hosting site.

I am going on a hike tomorrow. I will throw it in the pack and take some pics of it in action for some more pleasurable activities. We got a fire ring back by the river a mile or so back. Great hike and striking up a fire on a ferro rod is always a joy for me. But put them expensive knives away before you look, don't want them seeing a $30.00 knife doing some fine crafting lol.

Folder? Leatherman.

Fixed blade? Whatever is cheap. Not gonna use a fixed blade unless I'm in the 23rd Knife Fighting Battallion or the 102nd Cardboard Box Disposal Regiment.

Of course, my choices would be different if I had to take 1 folder and 1 fixed blade knife to war against Magneto.

Bahahaha...this is amazing

Fixed blade would be a bowie. Preferably a Covington or Bagwell Hells Belle. Just because I love them and know how to use one.

Folder would be what I carried my last deployment, my Leatherman MUT. I used the hell out of that thing and still carry it everyday 4 years later.

The fixed blade I had last deployment was an OKC-3S issued bayonet. Good blade, even though I hate the serrations.

Here's my Glock M81 Field Knife. Carried it all over the world in the Army. Rode in my ruck. Proved invaluable to me in the bush throughout Indochina and the South Pacific in the '90s. I wouldn't take it to the desert as it would be pretty much useless to me. Bought it for 24 bucks in 1984 from a long gone knife shop on VD Drive just off of Fort Benning, Georgia. Still have it. I'll own it until I die, but will probably never use it again.

Glock%2520M81%2520Field%2520Knife.jpg

Last edited:
A good bud of mine is a three tour veteran of Vietnam, he was Special Forces when it required a College Degree to be Special Forces.
When was that? Me thinks you either misunderstood him, or he was bull shitting you.

Bud made a comment that a Randall was carried by virtually every Infantry Officer.
Not in my experience. Most couldn't afford a Randall. The Infantry officer with a Randall was a rare breed. I never knew one, and I served as one. In my first year as an officer I grossed about $12,000 a year in pay (equivalent to well less than $30,000 today). Paying the price of a Randall for a knife was out of the question. Only guy I knew with a Randall was an SF officer I worked for who was given it for being top dog at SFQC. He kept it in his office. It was unused. He carried and used a Victorinox Mauser SAK.

You might want to consider taking what your bud tells you with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Here's my Glock M81 Field Knife. Carried it all over the world in the Army. Road in my ruck. Proved invaluable to me in the bush throughout Indochina and the South Pacific in the '90s. I wouldn't take it to the desert as it would be pretty much useless to me. Bought it for 24 bucks in 1984 from a long gone knife shop on VD Drive just off of Fort Benning, Georgia. Still have it. I'll own it until I die, but will probably never use it again.

Glock%2520M81%2520Field%2520Knife.jpg
Now that's a knife with some soul. Love the picture brother! :thumbup:

Now that's a knife with some soul. Love the picture brother! :thumbup:

142132.jpg

142057.jpg

Some twisted wood

142005.jpg

Look close and you can see the flex the wood put on the blade. Been using it like this for over a decade. It don't care. Sharpen it a few times a year and keep the blade oiled. It's all good.

141911.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them pics.

Folder - SAK Huntsman
Fixed - Probably something along the lines of the Kabar/SRK/BK7. It really would depend on location and expected enemy. I was in the Army, but never saw combat. Both of my parents did in WW2 (yes, you read that right), and I'll definitely remember their advice.

142132.jpg

142057.jpg

Some twisted wood

142005.jpg

Look close and you can see the flex the wood put on the blade. Been using it like this for over a decade. It don't care. Sharpen it a few times a year and keep the blade oiled. It's all good.

141911.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them pics.
Excellent Boris! Another great knife with tons of character! Thank you for taking the time to post all the pictures. I did enjoy them very much. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back