It followed me home (Part 2)

Got these two the other day. A kindling chopper and murder weapon meat cleaver lol.

I'll rehandle both and do some minor cleaning modding etc.

Lots of goodies in that haul, Garry3. I'd like to see the Fulton stamp on the hatchet. Fulton became Sears' b-line of tools after they picked up the Craftsman brand.

Lots of goodies in that haul, Garry3. I'd like to see the Fulton stamp on the hatchet. Fulton became Sears' b-line of tools after they picked up the Craftsman brand.

Well Fulton Tool Co is a tangled mess. Apparently its just a Sears thing and anyone may have made them, I don't know for sure, seems to be conflicting information.

P1010037_zpsbb370c8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That Swiss-pattern cleaver is fantastic. Any marks on it? Super envious!

Is that what it is? Ah I thought it was hand made thing at first but there is a little bit of lettering I can't make out on it and what looks like a leaping deer on it.. Simular type deer that one of my rusty old file (soon to be knife) has on it, and that one has made in sheffield quite cleanly stamped on it.

I've popped the scales off the cleaver as they were wobbly, sadly one cracked when I drove out the pins but I'll make new ones and keep them rustic looking and only clean up the cutting edge as that patina is oooold!

Anyone know how these were painted from the factory? I have red paint showing up under the blue, on the handle and on the head. Handle is factory but loose and cut down.
P1010039_zps890c5d35.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well Fulton Tool Co is a tangled mess. Apparently its just a Sears thing and anyone may have made them, I don't know for sure, seems to be conflicting information.

P1010037_zpsbb370c8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Adding to the Fulton mess...

In the early 1900s, there was a "Fulton Tool Co." in West Virginia that made forged tools such as this pick:

books

from UMW Journal, 1917

This company was established in 1882 as the "Fulton Tool Works" at Fulton Canal, Ohio.
In 1916 the company was re-organized as the "Fulton Tool Co." and moved to a new factory in Huntington, W.Va.

books

from Industry Week, 1916

books

Above ad with Fulton trademark (FULTON inside flat oval shape) from Coal Mining Catalogs, 1917

Adding to the Fulton mess...

In the early 1900s, there was a "Fulton Tool Co." in West Virginia that made forged tools such as this pick:

books

from UMW Journal, 1917

This company was established in 1882 as the "Fulton Tool Works" at Fulton Canal, Ohio.
In 1916 the company was re-organized as the "Fulton Tool Co." and moved to a new factory in Huntington, W.Va.

books

from Industry Week, 1916

books

Above ad with Fulton trademark (FULTON inside flat oval shape) from Coal Mining Catalogs, 1917

To further confuse things yesteryear tools has Kelly as the manufacturer of the Fulton Clipper axe, listed in old Sears catalogs. The one I am looking at right now is a 1912 catalog. The only axes listed are Fultons and "Fulton Tool Co" is what is on some of them. I think 1908 is the same, I will check on that.

...The one I am looking at right now is a 1912 catalog. The only axes listed are Fultons and "Fulton Tool Co" is what is on some of them...

This is the axe page from the 1912 Sears catalog (supposedly):

BookReaderImages.php

http://archive.org/stream/catalogno12400sear#page/1054/mode/1up

"Fulton Tool Co." appears on the boy's axe, the hatchet, the broad axe, the splitting maul, and the wedges. Other axes on the page are marked either "Fulton Clipper", "Fulton Special", "Fulton Real Razor Blade", or "Lumber Jack / Fulton Tool".

Last edited:
Hoes N Froes.
ysG1HYL.jpg

Northern King $20.
WV71anl.jpg

4nFAJU1.jpg

Fdh0NZD.png

Old hoe - $15 Is the "Hoeing Man" a recognizable mark?

16fB5xB.jpg

iIcjQoF.jpg

Froe - $10 - this froe is a little crusty. My experience with a froe is limited.

Gs9wL8m.png

GcuamOL.png

Last edited:
Anyone know how these were painted from the factory? I have red paint showing up under the blue, on the handle and on the head. Handle is factory but loose and cut down.
QUOTE]
I omitted to repeat the shot of your Pulaski 'find' so as not to slow down the 'scrollers'. Lots of life left in that fine-looking piece of steel. Haft I'm not so sure; looks to be almost perfect quarter-sawn (complete opposite of what axe handle makers want) that are prized as Number One Select-grade flooring boards. Farmers, bushwhackers, hunters and forestry folks I've worked with over the years (pre-fluorescent paint days) tended to go for red or yellow paint so as not to lose their stuff in the bush. Tying bright orange survey tape around items already become common starting 40 years ago.
The Barco-brand Pulaski I bought new 15 years ago featured a black painted head. Not so easy to find in low light or leaning up against a shade-dappled tree! I figure they did (and maybe still do) this in hopes of prematurely selling me another one.
Go with fire engine red or whatever matches with what you've got there.

QUOTE]
I omitted to repeat the shot of your Pulaski 'find' so as not to slow down the 'scrollers'. Lots of life left in that fine-looking piece of steel. Haft I'm not so sure; looks to be almost perfect quarter-sawn (complete opposite of what axe handle makers want) that are prized as Number One Select-grade flooring boards. Farmers, bushwhackers, hunters and forestry folks I've worked with over the years (pre-fluorescent paint days) tended to go for red or yellow paint so as not to lose their stuff in the bush. Tying bright orange survey tape around items already become common starting 40 years ago.
The Barco-brand Pulaski I bought new 15 years ago featured a black painted head. Not so easy to find in low light or leaning up against a shade-dappled tree! I figure they did (and maybe still do) this in hopes of prematurely selling me another one.
Go with fire engine red or whatever matches with what you've got there.

My point was that I wanted to know what it looked like new as the head shows very little use. It is almost unused. It seemed to have a partialy painted head at one time. In red, I think that it was painted over in blue. The haft is worthless as its about 20" long.

I have many Pulaski heads so using this one did not enter my mind. I have traded some off, given some away and I still seem to come home with more. I did come across a couple Barco FS heads yesterday but didn't buy any.

This is the axe page from the 1912 Sears catalog (supposedly):

BookReaderImages.php

http://archive.org/stream/catalogno12400sear#page/1054/mode/1up

"Fulton Tool Co." appears on the boy's axe, the hatchet, the broad axe, the splitting maul, and the wedges. Other axes on the page are marked either "Fulton Clipper", "Fulton Special", "Fulton Real Razor Blade", or "Lumber Jack / Fulton Tool".

Yes Steve. I found it here, https://archive.org/details/catalogno12400sear. I have a repint of the 1908 around here some place I was goint to check it.

Hoes N Froes.

Northern King $20.

Old hoe - $15 Is the "Hoeing Man" a recognizable mark?

Froe - $10 - this froe is a little crusty. My experience with a froe is limited.

Good eye for quaility. All nice tools.
I find a froe use full. Though I am not making shakes with one. You can control the split by how it is used to pry and how a stave is held. Most of them I see are not forge welded like they should be or they have the snot beat out of them with a steel hammer and the blade is badly mushroomed. Yours is real nice.
I beat on mine with a piece of black locust. This club probably has a proper name but it excapes me at the moment.
P1010040_zps12b8f0b8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I found Fulton was the only listed brand in a Sears catalog dated prior to 1900. In later years catalogs I saw the 'Razor Blade' line described as their top line axe - in their words as high of quality as was available at the time. I think those were an inserted HC steel bit design.

Thanks Steve. Used to be larger I am sure. Not sure what I'll do with the hoe. I'm going to rehang the Northern King though. Same handle, just move it down a touch. Did they come with a slight edge bevel on the side opposite the main one? This one has one.

I have a lot of "project" material going for Christmas gifts for family members.

Garry - the froe. I'm jazzed to clean it up some and potentially purchase/make a new handle for it. What do you use yours for? I have only handled one previously and it may still be in the back of my Dad's shop.

Came across a double bit that was marked "True Best" - pretty clear markings. Didn't pick it up as I didn't recognize the maker. Thought maybe it was a "knock-off" with a similar name as more well-known axe makers. Anyone heard of that one?

Double Bits

I got to work before the weather kicked in. We were sent away with safe wishes. Stopped by one of my haunts on a lark and these two followed me home

0Sd6YCg.png

I'm not sure of the maker of the larger one. Seems to have some blue-green paint left on it. Looks quite usable after some care. Not wedged properly- just a metal one. It seems on there tightly though. Handle might be usable- it will need some thinning to get the chunk taken from it smoothed out.

OM0FD3Z.jpg

The smaller of them seems to be a Walters. The handle looks decent.

lrWviHK.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Used to be larger I am sure. Not sure what I'll do with the hoe. I'm going to rehang the Northern King though. Same handle, just move it down a touch. Did they come with a slight edge bevel on the side opposite the main one? This one has one.

I have a lot of "project" material going for Christmas gifts for family members.

Garry - the froe. I'm jazzed to clean it up some and potentially purchase/make a new handle for it. What do you use yours for? I have only handled one previously and it may still be in the back of my Dad's shop.

Came across a double bit that was marked "True Best" - pretty clear markings. Didn't pick it up as I didn't recognize the maker. Thought maybe it was a "knock-off" with a similar name as more well-known axe makers. Anyone heard of that one?

I just used some Black Locust I had laying around. I guess its good for more than fence posts. No wedge or anything, it fits like a tomahawk handle.
P1010041_zpsd30a0ff8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back