It followed me home (Part 2)

Not sure this is an 'old British saw blade', looks to be a castoff Starrett "bi-metal cutting" blade from an electric reciprocating saw. If 5-10 years is to be considered old then this qualifies. They generally come in packages of 5 at the local Home Depot if you care to look there. Milwaukee makes particularly good ones but none of them are thick enough except maybe for a modest filet knife!

It is a Starret blade, says 'Great Britain' on it too and has been stored away for years. It's about 2mm thick though so it'll be good enough for a knife blade. Also, home depot is american, and not all of us are american. ;)

It is a Starret blade, says 'Great Britain' on it too and has been stored away for years. It's about 2mm thick though so it'll be good enough for a knife blade. Also, home depot is american, and not all of us are american. ;)

Prize that then my good man! Aside from Ford "Jaguars" and BMW-'pretend Minis' I don't think anything noteworthy but Monty Python, Mr Bean and hot air has come from England over the past 20 years.

Prize that then my good man! Aside from Ford "Jaguars" and BMW-'pretend Minis' I don't think anything noteworthy but Monty Python, Mr Bean and hot air has come from England over the past 20 years.

Yeah, sadly that's probably true. A few good movies but nothing much else.. (blame that cantankerous hag Mrs.Thatcher for closing down the steel mills and mines!)

" Nothing in England is worth a damn thing except the bent yew and the grey goose wing"

" Nothing in England is worth a damn thing except the bent yew and the grey goose wing"

Be careful about this. "Jolly old England" is the seed of English language, modern technology, laws and culture and by and large (globally) has done 'exceedingly well'. Sure, the parent tree has gradually rotted inside and fallen over but the ever-present persistent seeds and shoots continue to dominate the modern world.

Be careful about this. "Jolly old England" is the seed of English language, modern technology, laws and culture and by and large (globally) has done 'exceedingly well'. Sure, the parent tree has gradually rotted inside and fallen over but the ever-present persistent seeds and shoots continue to dominate the modern world.

I almost had it right. It is quoted out of the 'Book of Archery". An obscure title but no longer rare written by George Hagar Hansard in 1841.

Speak well of archers, for your father shot in a bow,"—

a time-honoured proverb, originating in that martial age, when her sons deemed

"England not worth a fling,
But for the crooked yew and grey goose wing."
Machynlleth, South Wales,
Dec. 1839.

Today's finds- spokeshave, double bit, and hammer:

liyCd51.jpg

The hammer is a little 16oz PLUMB. The spokeshave is a model 151 from New Britain, Conn. I use a new one made in England but this caught my eye. The blade looks great.

D3DdkCU.jpg

I had gone through the tools at a place previously but this one got missed the first time around. The shop owner has a rolling cart with two storage drums full of picks, mattocks, and shovels. So many tools crammed in there I thought it was a sledge hammer because I had to pull everything out. The owner said that "dog" has been there for several years. That cart has never been pulled inside. The wedge end is rotted- took my knife to it to see. I want to reuse the handle so I'm hoping it is salvageable.

CLZTnWE.jpg

One bit is in better shape than the other.
Rougher:
YMY5cU3.jpg

Better off:
lUOHxjy.jpg

It seems it's a Sager Chemical Axe:
3AjjD4i.png

I have lots of things to get accomplished but I'm looking forward to this one as a project.

Last edited:
Great looking little spokeshave.

Yeah, it is a neat one. It was your thread you started with your pulaski refurb that finally convinced me that I needed one.:thumbup: I ended up buying a new production 151 and am impressed with the simplicity and design of them. Rasps are good but they are not as effective as a spokeshave for some things. The blade is really clean and will sharpen up well.

My new one is made in England - works great, this one is made in New Britain, CT. - Both Stanley. This older one has holes in both handles. Any ideas on production year?

I had a new arrival today. It's another Plumb 5 lb rafting with a waffle poll. I saw this one come up on that auction site and I just couldn't stay away from it.

Big sucker!

Plumb%202.jpg

Still on its original Permabond haft.

Plumb%201.jpg

24-1/2" straight haft.

Plumb%203.jpg

The last owner put a wicked edge on it!

Plumb%204.jpg

Brothers reunited! The new axe with my other 5 lb Plumb waffle poll.

Plumb%205.jpg

I paid less than the cost of a Gransfors including the shipping. To me that's a bargain for this axe.

And just so nobody get upset, Bernie is still with us. He's just relaxing in his retirement.

I had a new arrival today. It's another Plumb 5 lb rafting with a waffle poll. I saw this one come up on that auction site and I just couldn't stay away from it.

Interesting axe! That's a pretty convincing testimonial for a hard-to-find axe, when you go ahead and buy a second one for yourself.

I'm greedy.
grin.gif

I've been impressed with my first waffle poll Plumb. I'm a utilitarian. Function before form - religiously. I think about what some nicely embossed axes go for. Then I realize that this axe is head and shoulders above those when it comes to actual function. It puts value in a different perspective.

I don't post much any more, but nice score Pegs! I love the waffle on that svelte beast. I landed one of Bernie's axes as well. The Mann Knot Klipper jersey that was up. And while I had inquired about the authenticity of it, I forgot to mention it in my purchasing message and therefor didn't get the cool certificate of authenticity. Bummer, but as I'm never getting rid of it, I don't really need the paper.
I'll add that this Mann I've got is the only axe I've owned to give my files as much a workout as my Plumb Victory. A truly hard bit. Bernie sure can pick 'em!
Congrats on yours!

Back