It followed me home (Part 2)

Im not sure what it is but i already removed it. It breaks like the cheapest epoxy.
Now im wondering whether i should remove the paint and polish the bit and smooth out the handle.

Im not sure what it is but i already removed it. It breaks like the cheapest epoxy...

I had a similar Swedish military axe with that glue around the base of the eye, and it was easily removed. I'm convinced it was put there to prevent water from getting in.

Here's one that ended up having the paint removed from the handle:

Well I guess I might as well share as well since I picked one of these up... Lucked out and got a Hults Bruk one :thumbup:

Next to the GB Scandi - slightly longer handle (28" vs 25") and with a weightier head (~2.5lbs just by feel):
P1070255.jpg

P1070262.jpg

Profile comparison - definitely has a relatively thinner bit:
P1070260.jpg

Markings "HB Made in Sweden" in the second one:
P1070264.jpg

P1070265.jpg

The grain orientation looks promising:
P1070258.jpg

I then decided to sand off all the green paint on the handle and give it a couple coats of BLO:
P1070279.jpg

This shot was meant to show the grain orientation - the blade alignment looks bad, but that's because I had the handle tilted to the side. The blade alignment is actually pretty dang spot on!
P1070281.jpg

Then sharpened er up:
P1070283.jpg

Steel isn't as hardened as a GB - a bit softer. Probably in the 53-55hrc range, but that's still pretty dang good...

Made in China out of 'rail steel'.

http://fengtaichina.en.made-in-chin...GqEUF/China-Bellota-Brand-Axe-Head-FT08-.html

Not sure what quality of steel they use for rails in China but the stuff over here is reportedly pretty good steel - like 1080 or 1084. That would make a fine axe.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/664363-railroad-rail-steel

Do I recall that you worked in a metal shop? Do you have the ability to test the hardness of this axe? Even a file test would be helpful.

Made in China out of 'rail steel'.

http://fengtaichina.en.made-in-chin...GqEUF/China-Bellota-Brand-Axe-Head-FT08-.html

Not sure what quality of steel they use for rails in China but the stuff over here is reportedly pretty good steel - like 1080 or 1084. That would make a fine axe.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/664363-railroad-rail-steel

Do I recall that you worked in a metal shop? Do you have the ability to test the hardness of this axe? Even a file test would be helpful.

I have tried to test axe heads with a rockwell hardness tester. Its not near as easy as it would seem. You need to be able to hold the head perfectly still. Which would mean a special anvil for each shape of axe or do like the FSS specification and saw the axe head.
I could have overcome some of these challenges but the current climate at work prevents me from doing so even on my own time. Which I attempted to do.

I thought Bellota products are made in Spain. The sticker doesnt say anything about China. Also my axe is a bit different from what you have linked. Mine has a "normal" poll and a more flat and wide eye. The steel rings at the 45mm portion from the cutting edge to the poll. Comparing to my other axes id say it is 55-56hRc. A new saw sharpening file will mostly slide removing very little materiał compared to some lower hardness axes.
Also here is tays they made their tools in Spain.
http://www.interempresas.net/Ferreteria/FeriaVirtual/Noticias-Bellota-Herramientas-S-A-9647.html

Sounds like a decent axe. Does it slip onto the haft without wedging? It might be similar to those Italian axes that 42blades posted last week.

Purchased Friday on a whim...

Top left head lightly stamped "Made in Sweden", over-stamped with "GAB" and a crown. Top right head unknown, but resembles another axe that I have that I believe to be an older Garant. Bottom axe is a Mastercraft, and is heavily pitted but will make a nice camp or truck axe. Each head is two-and-a-half pounds, with the Swede and the Mastercraft marked as such.

(And as a side note--anyone know who manufactured Mastercraft axes? Canadian Tire surely did not.)

In the middle is an older haft that was thrown in gratis by the seller, as it is split beyond use or repair.

Cool scores. I like the lines of the Mastercraft. The one you think might be a Garant is interesting as well.

...anyone know who manufactured Mastercraft axes? Canadian Tire surely did not...

Non-Canadians might not know that Mastercraft is a brand name used by Canadian Tire for tools (similar to Craftsman and Sears). Regarding who made the axes for them, a quick search revealed little except that Canadian Tire worked with Mann back in the 60s to develop the Norlund line of axes.

"In 1965 the Canadian Tire Co. approached the principals of the Mann Edge Tool Co. with a proposal that the Mann Edge Tool Co. manufacture a line of "Sportsmen's Axes" and certain other outdoor equipment."

quoted from YesteryearsTools

Thanks for the info, Steve. I'm going to look further into that. I should have explained the Mastercraft/Canadian Tire reference; I don't think that Canadian Tire has any sort of presence in the United States.

Another point of clarification regarding Garant--they're a company that has been making tools in Canada for over a century. Their axes are still commonly available here, though I'm not sure whether the production is domestic or if they import.

Another point of clarification regarding Garant--they're a company that has been making tools in Canada for over a century. Their axes are still commonly available here, though I'm not sure whether the production is domestic or if they import.

Garant axes (increasingly more of them feature plastic handles these days too) I looked at last week have no stamps on the metal but the paper sticker on the heads say 'assembled in Canada'.

Back