1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    I like them. Had 3 in care for a few months, they were a riot.

The male would want to take on bikers and horses. Had to keep a close eye on that little beast!

Nbrackett likes this.
  2. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
  3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    JB, where were you when I was buying 151 without a blade!!!
    But seriously, the third from the top: is it old Vaughan Sub-Zero ?

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What can I help you with?

5. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The Plumb house axe looks like a 70's Cooper Tools era axe with it's flat cheeks. But I think it might be even better than an older vintage model when it comes to making kindling. That's what currently sits by my fireplace. Somebody will be pleased to set that one next to their fireplace.

6. quinton

quinton

Nov 4, 2006
    I have the same one too.. mine came from the factory with a worn toe!:)

Square_peg likes this.
  7. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Making (A17) a broad axe haft | BladeForums.com :D. Anyway, here are the promised pics now that I'm home. PLEASE, no commenting on the broad axe condition or price as the price seen is NOT the price paid. Also, I blame Muleman 77. I spent an evening looking at his posts and saw one on fixing a deformed axe eye the night before buying it so I was optimistic. That, and by the time my common sense woke up it was an hour or so after the purchase. To ease the pain I guess, I got a 25% or so discount on the entire purchase. The eye isn't as bad as it looks believe it or not. The Plumb will probably end up being welded by my dad and rehung on the handle next to it that was part of the reason I bought it. An interesting thing is that the sledge handle was factory cut for a cross wedge. Anyway, I'll shut up and let the pics speak for themselves.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    junkenstien, Kerry W, Agent_H and 6 others like this.
  8. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    I received this bevel gauge in the post today. It was sent all the way from the USA to Wellington, New Zealand. A massive, massive thanks to @Agent_H for being such an incredible human and sending it to me as a gift (Amazon wanted to charge over $100 for shipping on an $18 product so he sorted me out). Man, what a guy! I am absolutely thrilled with it and can't wait to use it. I am not expecting any xmas gifts this year so this is more than I could have asked for, perfect present. Thank you I will cherish this tool mate and will enjoy sharing with others the cool story of how it came to be in my possession. Merry Christmas Agent H! Gracias mi hermano! Merry Christmas everybody :D

[​IMG]

9. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Those log lifters are handy.

muleman77 and A17 like this.
  10. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    He's a good guy alright.

jake pogg, quinton and Agent_H like this.
  11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'm interested in that small Case fixed blade there, it seems right up my alley if the blade hasn't been over-sharpened or ground on.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    And a Merry Christmas to you sir! I am very pleased to send that piece of kit to you and know you appreciate it.

When I saw what it cost for you guys to get ahold of that thing, I couldn’t help myself.

Thank you for the kind words as well. I have my moments lol.

Blade Forums community ;)

13. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I stopped in a shop about four hours away from me while traveling for work. I picked up some nice Nicholson saw filing files a Rich-Con chisel and this beautiful Henry disston and sons tenon saw. Then there is this other thing. It is for sharpening saws. It holds a triangle file and has a sliding motion. I think I am missing a piece that it connects to. If anyone can find anything on it it would be much appreciated. I have not found any markings of any kind on it so far.

14. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]anonymous photo sharing

Found this. I guess it was missing the part that holds it to the saw. It was not at the shop. I’m sure one could be made from wood though.

15. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    was cleaning up the shop, found that little micrometer in the dumpster (dont worry it's metal only so it's "clean") missin a few parts but i think i could fix it

On my way home i stopped by my grandparents and my grandpa found this Fulton boys axe for a dollar. the eye was a bit bent but i got that, i'm soaking it because i think the temper line would be awesome on this one.

16. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I didn't buy all these today but very recently. [​IMG]
    I would say the large spirit/line level is my favorite of the three.
    [​IMG]
    Only marking on it is .1 I don't know what that signifies. Any of you know? [​IMG]
    A Hammond farriers? hammer.
    [​IMG]
    And a home made spoke shave. Because it's 90° it'll be good for scraping the finish off of new axe handles.[​IMG]
    I'll have some axes here coming up. A local antique dealer i do carpentry for is buying a bunch at a barn he's cleaning out. I'm just a little bit excited.

Square_peg, A17, Brian Rust and 4 others like this.
  17. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    I believe that is sometimes called a “chair devil”. A lot of furniture/chair makers would make them and use them as a scrapper for finish work and for fitting spindles into mortises. They were used a lot in the UK

Yankee Josh, A17 and garry3 like this.
  18. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Nice haul. I like them scrapers and find them useful. You probably already know but if not here is a link to sharpening them.
    http://www.veritastools.com/Content/Assets/ProductInfo/EN/05P33.70EN.pdf
    Are you sure that is a line level and maybe not a level out of an old transit?

muleman77 and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The only line levels I've ever seen have hooks to attach them, but whatever it's for it's a beautiful old piece.

garry3 and Yankee Josh like this.
  20. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Inset into a board a guy might find it handy.

muleman77 and Yankee Josh like this.