It followed me home (Part 2)

My plan is to make 2 hooks of identical size. I'll run my string tight and then hang this level off the string using the hooks. The graduations are etched into the glass. I couldn't resist when i saw it! Haha.

If you use a line level that heavy, you'll need to pull your line tight enough to crown it first.:)
Good point. Hadn't thought of the weight yet. I wonder what the heck it was for then? The holes in either end indicate it was supposed to be attached to something. I wish it had some more identifiers.

Good point. Hadn't thought of the weight yet. I wonder what the heck it was for then? The holes in either end indicate it was supposed to be attached to something. I wish it had some more identifiers.
I would guess it was used to make a level using a board of any length on the job site simply by cutting a notch.

I would guess it was used to make a level using a board of any length on the job site simply by cutting a notch.
Garry3 suggested that too. Consensus wins, It's just a level. But a nice one! And it's incredibly sensitive. You cannot hold it inside the lines freehand.

images

Looks ready to weld. Soon as good as new.

It's best to pre-heat with a torch and then weld it with 7018 but other stick will do. If you tie a wet rag around the bit then you won't have to worry about changing the temper. And the eye area is supposed to be soft anyway so don't worry about that.

The eye is bent as well as cracked as adding a 2.5 foot cheater bar to the 1.5 foot vise handle won't get it fully closed for welding. Any advice? Just use a torch to heat it and bend it back?

Really you don’t want it completely closed. If you can get it to 1/8 or maybe even a 1/4 inch you should be able to fill it with the rod.

Perhaps this picture will better explain it. The outer eye wall and the bit will not line up leading to a misshapen eye. The line represents what it would look like after welding and grinding. I think the line should be straight, not curved.
IMG-E1250.jpg

Another update on the Plumb! It is sitting in the vise ready to be welded as soon as lunch is finished!

jblyttle. Looks like a nice haul for $12, the saw is worth more than that alone. Interested in seeing how the two German made gouges clean up. John

Today’s flea market haul. In new condition early stanley 110, one of the smallest wooden spokeshaves I have found, a greenlee chisel I had to turn a handle for real quick and then a log splitter..... at least that’s what tag said haha with $12.50 on it. I got out ten dollars as fast as I could and the man was happy with it. It is actually a 2” Wetherby timber framing chisel!!

Back