1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Brian-That is not a threaded countersink. It is a Irwin screw starter. When you have wood screws to put in a hard wood, you do not have to drill a pilot hole, you wack the spot with an awl and then use this little tool to start a threaded hole.

2. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    Thank you for the information sir! It’s great that we have this platform To reach out to people like you old axeman!

Yankee Josh likes this.
  3. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm pretty sure you also found yourself a little French Bulldog. Or was it with you before you went down in the basement? :D

"It followed me upstairs. I was making a steak."

Nbrackett and A17 like this.
  4. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    She’s my little buddy. She’ll go with me anywhere I let her.

Square_peg, Moonw and A17 like this.
  5. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

This was found today. A truly “new in box” Stanley marked yankee drill. From the Stanley logo on the box and drill I’m guessing it is a later 50’s maybe early 60’s model. Unfortunately no bits with it but I have a nice stock pile of them in some drawer somewhere. Also two 8” drawknives. One is a pexto and the other is a Bridgeport tool co. Thanks for lookin!

6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Cute dog.

Reminds me of my pitbull buttercup, except she's about 65lb and doesn't exactly fit everywhere she wants to be.
    We can't actually occupy the same space like she thinks she can.

And that's not a bad little tool haul for free.
    The maul looks like a decent user for your dad too.

Moonw, A17 and Nbrackett like this.
  7. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
  8. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    No pics for a couple days until I get home from vacation but in between being sick and feeling like I ate a bag of Haribo sugar free gummy bears I managed to stop by a huge antique store. Somehow in the middle of the Mojave Desert I pulled off a miracle (and overpaid for it) and picked up a 4lb plumb crosspein sledge, a possibly salvageable 4lb plumb axe with a beautiful handle that was the reason for the purchase, a broad axe in serious need of repair and a handle (hint hint Square_peg. Pleeaase?), and a made in Maine timberjack that I can't remember the manufacturer of. All that for about $100. And while I was writing this I was upstaged by jblyttle who probably got all that for $100. Oh well. P.S. Nice hammer-adze and sledges.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    Miller '72 likes this.
  10. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Simmonds, great shape, no idea on specific use.

Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That large scimetar butcher is a beast.

12. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    So I have more stuff right now than I can clean/restore and Christmas is coming. I'll be listing a bunch of "as found" items at an obvious discount if anyone is interested.

13. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    That Connecticut nearest the middle has *all* of my attention.

Saw in question a pattern maker's saw? On phone I can't even see if it has teeth lol

A17 likes this.
  14. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    That's what it was! I spent a while trying to remember the name of that saw. By the way, what's up with the welded head jb?

Fmont likes this.
  15. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Nothing is welded, do you mean the aluminum parade head?

16. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Brian-There was a time, in the not so distant past, when there were no cordless drills (also, no computers, ipads, smart phones, twitter, face book, etc.) if you can believe that. So, as a young carpenter, you always had your hammer and awl, and if your were screwing things together all you needed to carry was a Irwin screw starter and you were set. Now about the old days, when dinosaurs wore nail aprons, if you were a young carpenter you could go to your local lumber yard ( no Home Depot or Lowes in these ancient times) and if you needed advise, guidance, your hand saw sharpened, etc., there were old retired carpenters working part time to help you. No bone head employee who wouldn't know his/her ass from their elbow. I sure miss those days!

Brian Rust, Square_peg, Moonw and 5 others like this.
  17. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Yeah! It looks like it's a vinegar-ed welded axe head.

18. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
  19. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    it sure does but those were for parades and made for woodsman of america and other groups as such

A17 likes this.
  20. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Yep but whatever stamp it has looks like a iffy welding job from the pic.