It followed me home (Part 2)

Unmarked double bit, looks like a Maine head to me. 8 inches long, 2 lbs 13oz. It’s an over coat bit and looks to have plenty of tool steel left. Definitely has some ware and pitting but the price was right so I grabbed it.
The hammer followed me home also.

Unmarked double bit, looks like a Maine head to me. 8 inches long, 2 lbs 13oz. It’s an over coat bit and looks to have plenty of tool steel left. Definitely has some ware and pitting but the price was right so I grabbed it.

The eye looks full-size but could this be a main cruiser?

how to screen capture

All of this was in a tub, I asked how much and the guy said $2. I bought the whole tub but I really only wanted the Nicholson 4 in hand. I have had a new one and five or six Chinese ones but they are all 6”. This is a vintage made in USA Nicholson 4 in hand. It’s about 9 3/4”. Then there was also a Nicholson “magi-cut” which is sharp as hell. And some other cool stuff. Rust on most of it but the files will be used for sharpening axes and the 4 in hand will be shaping handles!!

The eye looks full-size but could this be a main cruiser?
I do believe it’s a diamond eye Maine head. The eye is large but I have seen several old Maine heads with eyes that seem oversized compared to the head size.

I have found a few examples of Maine diamond eye heads marked 3lbs, I am thinking this head was originally around that weight. So is it a Maine cruiser? I think so, the length seams correct, a little heavier then “normal”.

Any Maine head experts have any thoughts? Would love to learn more about it if possible.

I would Defoe you say it’s a diamond eye no question. Is there still good steel on each bit? Before it hits the mild steel core.

Edit: also the reason I asked about it being a main cruiser is just because of the size. The eye looks good and it has a good profile making me think it hasn’t been ground back a lot so it had to be close to that size. Or were main double bits just not that big? I don’t know nothing about them. Lol that’s why I ask.

Almost impossible to tell with no identifiers as you already know. I have a few. Several i know are from Maine and the others I'm willing to bet money are too. All have a diamond eye. I thought I'd share photos so at least you can compare them.
uw4XHNL.jpg

Even though almost all the makers name is absent I'm positive this is an old Snow&Neally.
PkCjV49.jpg

PYHNdHi.jpg
This one i believe is as well.
R1I65G5.jpg

Here is a NWTCO.
VfreeKw.jpg
oH8mzEV.jpg

rYvWULM.jpg
Notice the s&n's in this case share a horizontal fraction where the nwtco has a diagonal fraction. This isn't always true with the s&n's as i have a couple really old sb with a diagonal fraction. A bit confusing i know but if it never gets brought up we'll never get to the bottom of it. Just sharing, not claiming it's gospel. I think this one is also a NWTCO. Has a diagonal fraction.
PvAX4jR.jpg

I'm not sure what this one is. Only has the number 4 on it.
jAkxZuR.jpg

As i said all have nice diamond eyes. Have to make your own hafts though. I chose red oak for the two i hung. Maybe this helps you?

For what it's worth I've got this E&S cruiser to compare against too. #2-8.4oz w/o haft
iQR8Koo.jpg
aCRHWd6.jpg

This one does not have a diamond eye. But it's an oldie. One digit is missing but it's from 188? So it's evidence that some Maine cruisers have smaller eyes. I tend to lean towards only classifying it a cruiser if it has a small eye. Just my personal opinion.

I would Defoe you say it’s a diamond eye no question. Is there still good steel on each bit? Before it hits the mild steel core.

Edit: also the reason I asked about it being a main cruiser is just because of the size. The eye looks good and it has a good profile making me think it hasn’t been ground back a lot so it had to be close to that size. Or were main double bits just not that big? I don’t know nothing about them. Lol that’s why I ask.
Yes, it still had good steel in the bits. If I had to guess I would say it started its life at about 3 pounds and 8.5 - 9 inches. It’s 2 lbs 13.5oz now and 8 inches long now. I do believe a diamond eye double will be shorter then a standard convex cheek double of the same weight. I would be curious to know if the diamond eye heads are exclusive to the Maine makers.

Anyone have or seen one definitely not made in Maine?

Almost impossible to tell with no identifiers as you already know. I have a few. Several i know are from Maine and the others I'm willing to bet money are too. All have a diamond eye. I thought I'd share photos so at least you can compare them.
uw4XHNL.jpg

Even though almost all the makers name is absent I'm positive this is an old Snow&Neally.
PkCjV49.jpg

PYHNdHi.jpg
This one i believe is as well.
R1I65G5.jpg

Here is a NWTCO.
VfreeKw.jpg
oH8mzEV.jpg

rYvWULM.jpg
Notice the s&n's in this case share a horizontal fraction where the nwtco has a diagonal fraction. This isn't always true with the s&n's as i have a couple really old sb with a diagonal fraction. A bit confusing i know but if it never gets brought up we'll never get to the bottom of it. Just sharing, not claiming it's gospel. I think this one is also a NWTCO. Has a diagonal fraction.
PvAX4jR.jpg

I'm not sure what this one is. Only has the number 4 on it.
jAkxZuR.jpg

As i said all have nice diamond eyes. Have to make your own hafts though. I chose red oak for the two i hung. Maybe this helps you?
Thanks! Mine looks a lot like the S&Ns. Too bad we’ll never know for sure. What is the weight and length of one with the sheaths?

Yes, it still had good steel in the bits. If I had to guess I would say it started its life at about 3 pounds and 8.5 - 9 inches. It’s 2 lbs 13.5oz now and 8 inches long now. I do believe a diamond eye double will be shorter then a standard convex cheek double of the same weight. I would be curious to know if the diamond eye heads are exclusive to the Maine makers.

Anyone have or seen one definitely not made in Maine?
I've seen TT Maine's on here, don't know about diamond eye

A Millers Falls No. 14 with a two piece cap and all its chrome for twenty. Happy with this score!
20181219_210548-2016x980.jpg

And a much less nice Fulton 3709 that felt like it had a nicer heft than other Fulton (Sears) tools I've tried. At ten bucks worth seeing if it'll hold a tune.
20181219_210611-2016x980.jpg

This has been on my bucket list for a very very long time but they are so expensive. I found this one locally and got a good deal on it! Stanley number 55 combination plane! It did not come with cutters or the third skate/depth stop but every single other piece is here! Most people doesn’t ever use the third skate, unless you are doing crazy wide moldings. I will find the piece one day though.

This has been on my bucket list for a very very long time but they are so expensive. I found this one locally and got a good deal on it! Stanley number 55 combination plane! It did not come with cutters or the third skate/depth stop but every single other piece is here! Most people doesn’t ever use the third skate, unless you are doing crazy wide moldings. I will find the piece one day though.
Do you have the cam stop (pictured though not mine) for that? If not I got one with 70+ other misc planes and tools that I don't need sitting in my shop if you want it.

Back