It followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of wedges, this one arrived today. I wasn't going to buy any more 3 1/2 lb. double bits but this manly wedge caught my eye.

DSC01067_zpsa7190724.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can find those wedges listed in old Montgomery wards catologs. I think they are called The Maleable Iron wedge. Offerd in a veriety of sizes.

You can find those wedges listed in old Montgomery Ward catalogs. I think they are called The Malleable Iron wedge. Offered in a variety of sizes.
I can find them now, new, but what is the purpose or advantage of them aside from what I was guessing at earlier?

I can find them now, new, but what is the purpose or advantage of them aside from what I was guessing at earlier?

I missed your earlier post.
I think that is the advantage. What is the name of them new wedges? Who makes them?

Followed me home from an estate sale today! Now i have a J.M. Warren double bit to match my J.M. single

This followed me home the other day, any ideas on make or any information? I found a star marking and what looks like enit to me but can't find any info. Thanks

10803046013_c78758d749_c.jpg

10803064323_4a0d4011d3_c.jpg

This is a four-pounder, verified by the scale and by the stamping you see here:

This is the best view of it I can get with a decent camera and polarized light. Can somebody take a stab at guessing the maker?

So I just kinda gave up on it and decided to hang it on a straight handle and use the hell out of it. But first, a two-day soak in some white vinegar.

Now that I've got it cleaned up, I can see the brand is "FORESTER" (just above the "4"). Just under the poll there's a very, very faint maker's mark. Overall it's an oval described by two arcs of lettering which I can't pick out yet. (My fellow motorcycle enthusiasts would say that's a "top and bottom rocker.")

In the centre is a geometric shape I'd call sort of a keystone: Like a square with a curved top and the sides just angled out slightly going up.

Now that I have raw steel, it appears from lines on the top and bottom edges of the bit that it's been forgewelded together.

Now is it ringing any bells?

Is that a Keen Kutter? Nice handle! Great patina. Thats what a collectable axe is about.

If you didn't already know Marshall Wells ran a tight ship. There axes are quality.

Is that a Keen Kutter? Nice handle! Great patina. Thats what a collectable axe is about.

If you didn't already know Marshall Wells ran a tight ship. There axes are quality.

Yup it is a keen kutter :) I was super pumped to find it with the handle is good condition and I was able to get it off without damaging anything. I'll post pics when I get it re hung!

I missed your earlier post.
I think that is the advantage. What is the name of them new wedges? Who makes them?
Was a complete fluke that I noticed these (removable round-headed steel wedges) at an out of town (Cambridge, Ontario) Home Hardware Store. They were hanging on pegs in individual plastic bags and with no real markings or description/maker that I could see off-hand. However next time I go back (likely within 2 weeks) I will look a little bit closer and report back. That same store also had a small stock of lovely axe handles, the likes of which I haven't seen in almost 20 years. These were not the usual flat-sided junk (milled from 1 inch stock) that seems to be all that is available at big box and hardware stores in and around here these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back