• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Just a thank you to Strider Knives...

Good post Lefty! Doubt it will go over well tho......you are talking common sense!
Joe

I have dealt with strider customer service 3 times, and each time, they got the job done. Just so often, guys get worried and call every day or don't hear back on a "did my knife arrive", "I want a status update" email and then complain on the Internet. I just mailed them the knife, with a note saying what was wrong, or what I needed done (one time was for an engraving) and they came back just fine, no emails or phone conversations needed.

Some in the knife community need to be coddled. They want the company to go over their 2ND or 3rd hand purchase for them so he can save a few bucks. Then they want to get it refinished for free because they found a scratch on it with their magnifying glass and then get weekly progress reports on the service. All so they can sell it 2 weeks later "fresh back from the spa". It is taxing. I imagine actual repair times could be shorter if they weren't handling many knives for "flippers" every week, or guys who ground on the lock face, or lock tighted the pivot closed, etc.

If OP was not satisfied with the confirmation that the knife in question was legitimste, I wonder what information he actually required? Serial number? I dont think they started that until very recently. Date and time of manufacturer? Name and SSN of the guy who put it together? The question was "is it real?" and "yeah, we made some of those" AKA - that isnt a $5 China knock off answers that concern, doesn't it?

IMO, pony up the extra $ and buy from a dealer, buy from a reputable forum member, or roll the dice at your own risk. Don't whine on the forum because a company doesn't have time to validate every bargain purchase for you with a sweet, hand written letter with a spritz of perfume that arrives on your time line.
"ain't nobody got time for that!"

If you want to bargain shop/flip then get good at it. Do your homework. If you just want a legitimate strider knife with assurances from friendly customer service staff call bladehq.
Best of luck.

Great post!!! Amen!!

Great post!!! Amen!!

I second it

Hey lefty did they charge you for your engraving? I would also like mine personalized if I send something in.

Also has anyone ever returned a handful of knives at one time to save on the shipping or is it 25 bucks per knife?

I have dealt with strider customer service 3 times, and each time, they got the job done. Just so often, guys get worried and call every day or don't hear back on a "did my knife arrive", "I want a status update" email and then complain on the Internet. I just mailed them the knife, with a note saying what was wrong, or what I needed done (one time was for an engraving) and they came back just fine, no emails or phone conversations needed.

Some in the knife community need to be coddled. They want the company to go over their 2ND or 3rd hand purchase for them so he can save a few bucks. Then they want to get it refinished for free because they found a scratch on it with their magnifying glass and then get weekly progress reports on the service. All so they can sell it 2 weeks later "fresh back from the spa". It is taxing. I imagine actual repair times could be shorter if they weren't handling many knives for "flippers" every week, or guys who ground on the lock face, or lock tighted the pivot closed, etc.

If OP was not satisfied with the confirmation that the knife in question was legitimste, I wonder what information he actually required? Serial number? I dont think they started that until very recently. Date and time of manufacturer? Name and SSN of the guy who put it together? The question was "is it real?" and "yeah, we made some of those" AKA - that isnt a $5 China knock off answers that concern, doesn't it?

IMO, pony up the extra $ and buy from a dealer, buy from a reputable forum member, or roll the dice at your own risk. Don't whine on the forum because a company doesn't have time to validate every bargain purchase for you with a sweet, hand written letter with a spritz of perfume that arrives on your time line.
"ain't nobody got time for that!"

If you want to bargain shop/flip then get good at it. Do your homework. If you just want a legitimate strider knife with assurances from friendly customer service staff call bladehq.
Best of luck.

Spankin' new Avatar, but the same posts filled with nothing but common sense. Thank you.

Here you go.
IMG_20130518_154143_230_zpsccb913e8.jpg

You do realize that SKI has like only a whopping 8 employees right? I am almost positive Josh Lee the guy in charge of basically everything also answers the emails. There is nothing wrong with their CS I actually prefer their model, I do not want to talk with the company to get my gear fixed I loved all I had to do was box up my SMF and ship it to SKI with a small note and three weeks later it came back basically like new.

It is not their job to authenticate stuff on the secondary market at all, if someone wants to buy a used Strider and not one from an authorized Strider dealer it is their responsibility to know what to look for.

End rant -

Bahahahahaha....ummmmmmmm, ya....this thread belongs in the GBU....

You wanted to know if your Strider was legit, and you got a "yes".....I guess that's just not good enough anymore?
I have a feeling that threads/people with this very attitude are the direct reason why a lot of smaller manufactures have really changed the way they communicate.

We get the customer service we deserve....

I disagree. If customers approach a company with questions regarding that company's products, get no (timely) answers, and become disgruntled, that is on the company.

It starts with the company and how they treat their customers. If companies could comfortably get away with ignoring customer service, I think a lot more companies would cut that out of their business plan.

Godlike hawk? Hard to say.

@jmunson perhaps you would like to volunteer your services vetting all these bargain buys for everyone. Otherwise, I guess we will have to leave it to to each individual company how much time (MONEY) they can allot to this side job.

I disagree. If customers approach a company with questions regarding that company's products, get no (timely) answers, and become disgruntled, that is on the company.

It starts with the company and how they treat their customers. If companies could comfortably get away with ignoring customer service, I think a lot more companies would cut that out of their business plan.

^ Just out of curiosity; can you please elaborate on your own personal experience's dealing with Strider's customer service/warranty department?

It's anyone's guess, but perhaps BladeShow 2016, or possibly other production run deadlines, had Strider short handed, coinciding with the OP's inquiry? Most smaller companies hit periods where they become swamped...unfortunately, for some of these millennial "I want my knife/answer yesterday" type personalities; these type of customer's always seem impossible to please.

What I find most interesting, is the fact that it always seems to be the same people that are here complaining about various knife companies, & the same member's who are always in the GBU complaining about their negative transaction('s) on this forum...:confused:

Personally, I've had nothing but exceptional, positive experiences, dealing with Spyderco, Benchmade, Protech, Microtech (< I've been lucky), Zero Tolerance/Kai, CRK, Strider (to name a few), customer service department's. I've also never encountered a single negative experience with any of the custom maker's I've done business with....

Nor have I had a single unresolvable problem in well over 300+ transactions with other member's on this awesome forum...

Some people just love to incessantly complain, & spew negativity! :confused: There's a specific sub-form for this type of person. :)

Last edited:
can you please elaborate on your own personal experience's dealing with Strider's customer service/warranty department?

...unfortunately, for some of these millennial "I want my knife/answer yesterday" type personalities; these type of customer's always seem impossible to please.

What I find most interesting, is the fact that it always seems to be the same people that are here complaining about various knife companies, & the same member's who are always in the GBU complaining about their negative transaction('s) on this forum...:confused:

And there we have one important piece of the puzzle.

This kid likely never used one of the knives in question, just chattering from the sidelines. if I had to make an assumption, I'd say they are off searching for the new instagram fad of the month. Perhaps an $800 single finger knuck or bottle opener shaped like a cute animal that also turns screw driver bits.

^ Just out of curiosity; can you please elaborate on your own personal experience's dealing with Strider's customer service/warranty department?

It's anyone's guess, but perhaps BladeShow 2016, or possibly other production run deadlines, had Strider short handed, coinciding with the OP's inquiry? Most smaller companies hit periods where they become swamped...unfortunately, for some of these millennial "I want my knife/answer yesterday" type personalities; these type of customer's always seem impossible to please.

Personally, I've had nothing but exceptional, positive experiences, dealing with Spyderco, Benchmade, Protech, Microtech (< I've been lucky), Zero Tolerance/Kai, CRK, Strider (to name a few), customer service department's. I've also never encountered a single negative experience with any of the custom maker's I've done business with....

Nor have I had a single unresolvable problem in well over 300+ transactions with other member's on this awesome forum...

Some people just love to incessantly complain, & spew negativity! :confused: There's a specific sub-form for this type of person. :)

I don't have any personal experience dealing with Strider's customer service -- my comment was based on OP's experience and on principle.

If your company generates a demand for more customer service than you can handle, you probably need to look into it.

And there we have one important piece of the puzzle.

This kid likely never used one of the knives in question, just chattering from the sidelines. if I had to make an assumption, I'd say they are off searching for the new instagram fad of the month. Perhaps an $800 single finger knuck or bottle opener shaped like a cute animal that also turns screw driver bits.

Thanks for making those assumptions. Assuming is a surefire way to get people to take you seriously.

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience dealing with Strider's customer service

^ That's what I thought! :rolleyes:

Once you've been around this place for a while, & actually spend some time observing, you'll hopefully glean a little more insight about a few of the sanctimonious member's here (& their ulterior motives), as you do about knives. FWIW: most of the people here whom spend their time trolling on certain maker's, don't even own any of the brand knives they incessantly whine about!

Some of you might remember I asked about a knife's legitimacy... The standing answer was reach out to them, they'll be glad to help etc...

Well, no phone number, email etc... Cool, I'll try it.

The response.."Yea we made some of those".

Seriously, if it's that much to ask for just a slight amount of service.. About over that stuff. Call Spyderco or KAI and ask for help... its amazing the service.. or Hell, Pohan Leu, Jason Brous... You name it... Those guys?.... wow.

1st what was the ? you asked them. If it was about legitimacy , you got your answer. Brief but to the point. If you are still trying to find out if it is a Starlingear I think that was answered by Ajack60 in your 1st thread-he is has a very good knowledge of the knives he collects.
As for Strider Service- they are very good at fixing the knives, but poor on communication. As stated earlier they have a very small staff and there isn't a person dedicated to just answering phone calls and Emails. Could they use one, sure, but they most likely have a 1/2 dozen other places they could use an extra employee also, and CA isn't cheap for labor. They may not have the room to place one if they had one. It is what it is.

I'd like to say thank you to Strider...for making some kick ass blades. I don't own any folders, yet, but I do own a few fixed blades and I absolutely love them.
I've had no reason to use their customer service/warranty but if/when I do I'll post my experience(s). Until then, I'll use my blades and enjoy them.

I second it

Hey lefty did they charge you for your engraving? I would also like mine personalized if I send something in.

Also has anyone ever returned a handful of knives at one time to save on the shipping or is it 25 bucks per knife?

I asked the same thing on the Strider FB page a while ago and was told by John Frederick that $25 for multiples was ok. (He's the FB page admin and runs the Strider forum on the Green forum. Josh is occasionally on the forum too and didn't say John was wrong.) I will say.. the Strider warranty isn't what it once was.. although the communication is/was about the same.

Back