Just for fun~ What would be your choice of SHTF Production knife ?

I'd have to say my Fiddleback 14" machete but if that's too custom then the Condor Boomslang for heavy work, them my bk2 for mid size jobs and for the small stuff a spyderco tenacious. My Buck Hoodlum is very close 2nd for big jobs.
tenaciousv.jpgDSCN0126.jpgimages (2).jpg

Mad Max eh? Gotta go with ma big boi......

IMG_38602.jpg

I would go for my Busse NTTKZ Khukri ...

P1010602.jpg

It bites deep ...

P1010592.jpg

P1010594.jpg

Splits wood as good as an axe ...

P1010582.jpg

Gets a fire ready very fast ...

P1010604.jpg

P1010605.jpg

P1010608.jpg

and see's plenty of use ... although I would ideally like a few more bits and piece's to go with it ...

P1010578.jpg

Yes, there are a number of advantages to the serrated spine ... the main one is using this edge to sink into a log and you have the main edge upwards which if preparing small game enables you to work the game over the edge rather than vice versa and this works faster and easier when getting food ready to cook. Ideal for pigeons and smaller game birds if you are getting by with the one knife.

The other is on the weight of the blade and balance ... I have the none serrated TTKZ and the KZII and both are a fair bit heavier in the hand ... this removal of metal makes for a much "livlier" blade and yet there is no difference on chopping power so you get an improvement without any detraction on performance.

The third advantage is avoiding main edge damage on some of the harsher tasks such as splitting the sternum and spine on a Deer carcass ... I do a lot of Deer culling over here and am shooting all year long ... working with this blade in the Deer larder has shown this advantage to be considerable ... it would particularly be of benefit if in the field for long periods where sharpening to top up the edge is much easier than restoring the edge.

Then there are benefits of using this edge with a fire steel ... it throws great "showers" of sparks compared to simply using a right angle edge on a flat spine ... and if scraping deer tendon off the leg bones there is nothing better ... sink the main blade into a stump and work the bone around the edge and it is easy ... ditto if wanting to make twine from nettle stems or thin down spruce roots for the thicker cord for heavier tasks .

All told it is like having a secondary "hard use" edge which improves the performance and prolongs the sharpening needs of the knife ...

People sometimes say these edges damage your "baton" when splitting wood ... they do ... but not to the extent that the baton is broken if you pick a thick one ... and there is always an abundance of them from what you have split ... and they still burn the same ... so I have'nt experienced any "down side" from this feature at all.

If I could only have one production knife in a SHTF situation, of the ones I own, it would probably be my Martindale bolo machete or my CS Trailmaster.

For your scenario, of what I own, would be my Busse Basic 9. I would go to a B11 or FBM if it is a choice of any.
Bag-web.jpg

I've chosen: I keep a Scrapyard WarDog strapped to my bag. INFI goodness in a manageable package

006.jpg

If it must still be in production, I guess that would be my camp knife, the RMD:

005.jpg

If I need something bigger than those, I'm probably going to use an axe.

I'm going with my 8" Busse NMSFNO. It's a good compromise between a large 10+" chopper and a more usable 4" to 6" utility knife.

What I've had for years, ignored buried in a box, and resurrected with micarta.
IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

Back