Kerry Hampton Knives

waynorth waynorth It might be Charlie :D But equally, some self-appointed 'expert' in 2224 will be saying " It's a parts knife, never seen one like this before clearly a fake, KnifeHead never made mistakes and never had a sense of humour!!":rolleyes:🤣

Great Wharncliffe Kerry, and super sleek work :cool: Why not make your stamp in reverse next time? Then collectors will need a mirror to read it- give 'em something to do....

Thanks, Will

Kerry’s little lamb (foot) is getting closer to the finish line. I’ll need to make a trip to visit Reese at the WilfredWorks tomorrow due to a wee mishap(long story) with the parser plate I now don’t have to finish this project.IMG_0307.jpegIMG_0137.jpegIMG_0308.jpeg

Last edited:
That's some grand looking Stag on the Khamb Foot :cool: It aint need no stinking' shield:D I mean the original owner Sam Bar got by fine without one;)

I should explain. Sometimes we crazy knife makers need to make a shield from scratch. That is easier accomplished with a copy of the shield made out of hardened tool steel (D2 is best). With a couple of pin holes on the center line for positioning, we can match a piece of shield material up to it and file everything away that doesn’t look like the pattern. Now the completed shield with pin holes can be positioned on the mark side scale and holes drilled thru the aforementioned pin holes into the scale. Pin that guy to the scale, scribe around it, remove the shield, and start chiseling away to make the shield pocket.
What does that have to do with me breaking the parser plate, you ask? I was making a hardened pattern out of D2 while it was in an annealed state. I Scribed the shield shape from the shield shaped hole in the plate and got it filed down to where it started to fit in the plate. You do a little tap tap tap, take it out and file, put it back and tap tap tap, take it back out and file, etc about a hundred times. I decided to do it faster and snappier. Snap snap snappier. Sometimes Mr. Dumbass shows up for work. :D

That's some grand looking Stag on the Khamb Foot :cool: It aint need no stinking' shield:D I mean the original owner Sam Bar got by fine without one;)
I agree totally. Some stag screams "leave me alone" but also looks good with a shield.
One might consider this as well, that were you to time warp back to the medieval ages and, if you were in need to prepare for a sword battle, would thou decide to go shieldless so that thou couldith more rapidly deploy thy rapier? Possibly yes, maybe no. It’s a conundrum, really. 😁

Last edited:
I'd go back further, to ROMAN times...front-line were SPEAR Carriers: chuck that and hit home you'd be OK but miss and you'd face a swordsman and you were without shield :eek::poop:

But of course you're right, the right shield often enhances Stag or anything else and you've got some top antler on that one. I was just thinking that original Lamb Foot knives are without a shield, but then this one is exceptional as it's Shadow and it's a Khamb Foot anyway! Shield on :cool:

It's going to be a real jewel in any collection😍

(PSA) I am slowly editing the years of posts I authored with images to alternatively display clickable links. I will be eventually working on this in the Bose Knives thread as well. Moderators: Save me from myself if this is wrong or there is a better, less time consuming fix. (/PSA)

(PSA) I am slowly editing the years of posts I authored with images to alternatively display clickable links. I will be eventually working on this in the Bose Knives thread as well. Moderators: Save me from myself if this is wrong or there is a better, less time consuming fix. (/PSA)
Sorry, Kerry, I don't have a better solution. I know I spent quite a bit of time redoing the jackknife's Tales thread, after the software upgrade. If someone else has a better solution, I would love to hear it too.

This one started out as a suggestion and then a simple sketch on the back of a business card. The patient (that's what I call folks waiting on a knife from me) asked if I could make a lamb foot. I said that I have been thinking about making one because it's a great old pattern. The "Real Lamb Foot" frames seem to mostly be constructed on a swayback frame shape so I went to what I was already familiar with, Tony's swayback gent/jack. I sketched it out and then made a hard pattern that I could use to "tune" the thing over the SBJ spring to get it somewhat close to working. That "close" blade pattern was then used to scribe out the blade on this knife. The original blade sketch was done over the 3 1/4" pattern Wharncliffe blade using the back square as a starting point. Of course I had to make the kick an ole timey stove pipe. You could call this little sweetie the prototype but it isn't marked as such.
lambfootsketch.jpg

It is stag 3 1/4" shadow and made using A2 (acid etched} for the blade and spring. Birdseye pivot bolster of phosphor/bronze that I cut from 3/16" rod stock. Scales polished to 6000.

khampton-314staglambfootP-1.jpgkhampton-314staglambfootP-2.jpgkhampton-314staglambfootP-3.jpgkhampton-314staglambfootP-4.jpgkhampton-314staglambfootP-5.jpg

This one started out as a suggestion and then a simple sketch on the back of a business card. The patient (that's what I call folks waiting on a knife from me) asked if I could make a lamb foot. I said that I have been thinking about making one because it's a great old pattern. The "Real Lamb Foot" frames seem to mostly be constructed on a swayback frame shape so I went to what I was already familiar with, Tony's swayback gent/jack. I sketched it out and then made a hard pattern that I could use to "tune" the thing over the SBJ spring to get it somewhat close to working. That "close" blade pattern was then used to scribe out the blade on this knife. The original blade sketch was done over the 3 1/4" pattern Wharncliffe blade using the back square as a starting point. Of course I had to make the kick an ole timey stove pipe. You could call this little sweetie the prototype but it isn't marked as such.
View attachment 2473921

It is stag 3 1/4" shadow and made using A2 (acid etched} for the blade and spring. Birdseye pivot bolster of phosphor/bronze that I cut from 3/16" rod stock. Scales polished to 6000.

View attachment 2473916View attachment 2473917View attachment 2473918View attachment 2473919View attachment 2473920
Nice knife, Kerry!!
Thanks for letting us in on the 'Backstory' of its growth!!;)!!

For you folksy friends keeping an eye on this thread, you might be interested that I have made all of my legacy posts images clickable. Thank you for all of the interest you all have shown in my passion for making these things over the years. It is inspiring and helps to fuel the fire that Tony sparked in me for making traditional folders.

For you folksy friends keeping an eye on this thread, you might be interested that I have made all of my legacy posts images clickable. Thank you for all of the interest you all have shown in my passion for making these things over the years. It is inspiring and helps to fuel the fire that Tony sparked in me for making traditional folders.
That's great Kerry! It would be a shame to lose them.

Two things to share: I got the Empire shield that I used on the last posted linerless, swellcenter knife. The implications are I will be using that are more knives.
IMG_0345.jpeg

The second thing is merely an anecdotal observation. I’m amused in that all the years I have been making knives and posting images of them on BF and other places, nobody has ever opined about the relevance of the name of the town where I call home and why I chose to include in my makers mark. 🤔

The initial reason was…that’s what Tony and old factories did. It does make putting the stamp in by hand a little more difficult and some guys make fun of the whole hand stamp thing and prefer to electro etch because it’s easier and cleaner and modern.

There’s another reason though, and it’s in the name.
IMG_0347.jpeg

I’m amused in that all the years I have been making knives and posting images of them on BF and other places, nobody has ever opined about the relevance of the name of the town where I call home and why I chose to include in my makers mark. 🤔

I assumed it was something you learned from your sensei.

Ooh...I love WIP pics. I wonder what those are going to be when they grow up.

Back