King of the hard-use folders!

Which of the following over-built knives do you MOST prefer?

• Cold Steel AD-10

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • ZT 0308

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Benchmade Adamas

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Hinderer XM-24

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • SOG SEAL XR

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Cold Steel SR1

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Cold Steel 4MAX

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Spyderco Shaman

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Cold Steel AD-15

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • AD-20

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
Folder wise I'm "other" with Spyderco Manix2 xl and the Emerson Vindicator as overbuilt tanks. I sold off the manix2 xl was just to big for me, but kept and sometimes carry the Emerson.

Hard use? My go-to hard-use folder is the Cold Steel GRIK, the thing is ugly as sin, beautifully ugly, but is a beast of a taskmaster. I like it. It's my heaver version of the RAT. And the CRKT Squid is my light version of it. I'll throw the GRIK at anything.
This may change once I get another Voyager, may add that to the repetoire, but I love the Demko lock, feels so strong. Am (logically or not) scared of Benchmade's omega spring, so that's out for me. Though those Adamas Cruwear knives do look pretty chonking big, all my big folders are LONG, Espada XL ways, not BIG like a Midgard Messer. I want a BIG one like that, soon, and it'll probably be my first custom. Not the Adamas. But those are my answers. Have not tried AD-10, what does that have over strong Cold Steel with Demko or Shark lock? New video shows, Shark Lock can hold two Lynn Thompsons. Are AD-10/20 made with superior steel? I thought CS offered S35VN and XHP sometimes.

Hard cutting? Probably my Cruwear PM2? Would that do pure cutting longer than REX45? Like, if the job was breaking down 10,000 cardboard boxes, not chopping wood? What would cut more, Cruwear, S45VN, or REX45? It's hard for me to compare the steels because I am just getting my head around what it means to have what amounts of what ingredients, comparing them and memorizing them. So charts are helpful, but not a lot of charts with Cruwear or REX45.
Could any kind soul out there tell me - what is the difference in hardness (edge retention?) and toughness in those three steels?

IMG_20201203_193707660.jpg

Ya I don't have any of those offered by choice.
Most folders I have can handle hard use by given hard use definition. Usually I elect the k390 endela.

Tank folder spyderco tuff.

Last edited:
If I'm going to really use it "hard" without worrying that I'll damage it (even if I do), I'll go with the Adamas.
What I paid for it also influences that decision because it would be one of less expensive options on the list that I have / had.

XM-24 would be an obvious choice which I no longer own.
AD20 as well, which I no longer own.
The Shaman (with Ti handle) can do a lot, which I still own.
And I'll always go for a good ZT, 0308 pending ownership.

I would add the Spartan Harsey, in hand mine feels as robust as an XM-24 which is what replaced mine...

Last edited:
Today I cut old carpet, cut some drywall, and scraped some sort of dried gue with my WE Mini Buster- that’s pretty hard use to me. That gets my vote.

Back