King of the hard-use folders!

Which of the following over-built knives do you MOST prefer?

• Cold Steel AD-10

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • ZT 0308

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Benchmade Adamas

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Hinderer XM-24

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • SOG SEAL XR

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Cold Steel SR1

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Cold Steel 4MAX

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Spyderco Shaman

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Cold Steel AD-15

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • AD-20

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
It probably should be noted that none of those choices are indicative of a hard use folder (which I’m sure has become clear by now). People choose those options primarily because they have bigger hands and it works well for them, or for a variety of other reasons that have nothing to do with usage.

It probably should be noted that none of those choices are indicative of a hard use folder (which I’m sure has become clear by now). People choose those options primarily because they have bigger hands and it works well for them, or for a variety of other reasons that have nothing to do with usage.
Funny, 53 people have voted. I guess 53 people are “wrong” then, eh?

Funny, 53 people have voted. I guess 53 people are “wrong” then, eh?

Nope, not saying anyone is wrong, but alternative choices were not factored in, so it’s hard to say how authentic the results are. I know I chose something close to my actual choice, but very different overall.

Nope, not saying anyone is wrong, but alternative choices were not factored in, so it’s hard to say how authentic the results are. I know I chose something close to my actual choice, but very different overall.
I can’t list every knife that has ever existed in my poll, and regardless that isn’t the point. I selected these knives because these are the knives I want people to pick from. I really don’t care if someone prefers fixed blades, or GECs, or whatever other knife for “hard use”. These are the knives to pick from, this is how this poll works.

I can’t list every knife that has ever existed in my poll, and regardless that isn’t the point. I selected these knives because these are the knives I want people to pick from. I really don’t care if someone prefers fixed blades, or GECs, or whatever other knife for “hard use”. These are the knives to pick from, this is how this poll works.

I would say people get hung up on the wording. If you ask a very broad community to choose from a very limited selection of tools for something they use every day, there is going to be some discrepancies about the choices. Your criteria had a very specific category in mind that did not consider more applicable options. If you had said “which shi* train overbuilt folder can f*** all the the sh** up from these folders?” You may have had an accurate read on the topic. But if you ask a question that has a very personal application to most people in this community, you’re probably gonna get a lot of different responses that don’t fit the prompt.

I would say people get hung up on the wording. If you ask a very broad community to choose from a very limited selection of tools for something they use every day, there is going to be some discrepancies about the choices. Your criteria had a very specific category in mind that did not consider more applicable options. If you had said “which shi* train overbuilt folder can f*** all the the sh** up from these folders?” You may have had an accurate read on the topic. But if you ask a question that has a very personal application to most people in this community, you’re probably gonna get a lot of different responses that don’t fit the prompt.
No, I listed a small group of knives and the question is, which of them do you most prefer?

Reading is fundamental. Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be. I listed some knives, pick one, or don’t, and move on. People want to make this more complicated than it needs to be with questions about “what does hard use mean” or “why is x knife not listed?”. If anyone has a better idea, by all means create your own polls. I shouldn’t have to explain to people on a knife forum what “hard use” means, or why their favorite obscure pocket knife isn’t listed.

No, I listed a small group of knives and the question is, which of them do you most prefer?

Reading is fundamental. Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be. I listed some knives, pick one, or don’t, and move on. People want to make this more complicated than it needs to be with questions about “what does hard use mean” or “why is x knife not listed?”. If anyone has a better idea, by all means create your own polls. I shouldn’t have to explain to people on a knife forum what “hard use” means, or why their favorite obscure pocket knife isn’t listed.

Fair enough. But look no further than the title you chose, and the subsequent wording in the prompt for peoples confusion and/or need to elaborate.

Fair enough. But look no further than the title you chose, and the subsequent wording in the prompt for peoples confusion and/or need to elaborate.
Don’t blame me for the emotional over-reaction people have to my title. That isn’t my problem. Plenty of people came here, voted, and went about their day. Some trolls tried to derail it early on but that has more to do with their personal issues with members, not a legitimate issue with the topic.

Of the ones listed, the Benchmade Adamas. Another worthy addition to the poll would be the Ultimate Hunter.

• Haha
Reactions: TC
If I use a “tactical folder” to cut steak is it still tactical?
Your poll doesn’t come close to cover all the bases- there are too many options. Plus the term “hard use” is vague.
That being said it would be difficult to beat a ZT0909 if you where to try and ABUSE a folding knife. It is “Proudly Overbuilt” it says so right on the package.

The CRK Inkosi almost had my vote. The surface area of it's washers is HUGE! But I think the Hinderer's blade tip is a real beast!

Your title says KING of hard use folders…. Reading is very fundamental! How can one have a king if there isn’t a larger pool to choose from?

There is a subtle yet significant distinction, at least in my mind, between "hard use" and strongest.

As has been mentioned in this thread, cost is a factor to be considered when used a knife hard or for abusive tasks. Of the "strong" folders listed in the poll, the AD-10 is my favorite for a variety of reasons - not the least of which being ergonomics. For "hard" or abusive tasks it is not my first choice; I have "beater" knives for that and I do prefer a strong lock for those as well. When AUS8 Voyagers went on close-out I grabbed a bunch and have been quite pleased with how such an inexpensive knife can hold up to the hard use tasks I've put it through. That being said, even though I do not own all of the knives on the poll list, I suspect that all of them may very well be "stronger" than the thinner blade Voyager.

With my view of strength contra to hard use explained, I also like the Adamas and have "hard used" my D2 model. While the Axis lock may be strong, it relies on pretty dainty piano wire springs (Omega springs), has a mechanism that can get gunked up and would be harder to clean than some other types of locks - so I just keep these things in mind when choosing tasks for the Adamas. I much prefer fixed blades for field dressing game but if for some reason I only took a folder with me deer hunting, the Adamas would not be my first (or second or third) choice - though it is one tough knife with a strong blade and lock. For that reason and ergos, I much prefer the AD-10 over the Adamas

I also have a pair (tanto and clip) of SR-1 (lites) and 4-Max as well as a 4-Max Scout; all great knives. Due to cost, I would grab an SR-1 Lite for "abusive" tasks over many if not all of the knives on the poll list, not because it's better, but because it's less expensive. As for the 4-Max, what can I say? It's big, tough ... and heavy, so it and the 4-Max Scout get very little pocket time compared to the AD-10, or Spydercos or whatever else may be the folder de jour.

As for some of the other knives on the list, I just don't know from experience what I would be talking about as I've never owner or even held say a Hinderer or ZT308; though with my other very favorable experiences with ZT knives, I can see a ZT308 in my future.

Your title says KING of hard use folders…. Reading is very fundamental! How can one have a king if there isn’t a larger pool to choose from?
You’re right, I should’ve put “other”, that way you could pick “other” as the “king”. :rolleyes:

Yes, reading is fundamental, glad you picked up on that. Now read the poll question very slowly and tell me what it is you don’t seem to understand.

I voted 4Max myself, I have the SR1 in tanto and clip in s35vn. Those two are built pretty stout with thick blades so it was close. I have the Ad10 as well and also a stout knife. I've had other frame lock knives and if put to the test most I've seen would fold up under 600lbs of weight like the Demko lock has shown to hold on the 4Max. Now here is the other fly in the ointment, who's blade would snap first on said tough knife. That's a whole new can of worms to open. Have a great day folks. :thumbsup:

It's a really small Kingdom.
Kind of like the Sovereign Military Order of Malta...

Nahhh...
I've already met both of their Citizens... nice chaps!

Back