Knife for defence against wild critters ?

You would need to watch bear attacks and see how much room is given between the bear and human.... or take a bears height standing on all fours and add human width below... to work out how much space you may have.
That's exactly what I'm thinking and, regarding the knife, why I'm afraid you may have no chance to manage successfully stabbing with a too long blade. That's the reason I am asking for an idea of an adequate blade length.

Kevin I know why you troll and think this threads silly...

DSC00054.jpg

With the face of a troll, who needs bearspray? :rolleyes:

PS-The fact you have alot of kids pictures in your PUBLIC photobucket folder leads me to believe you may not be aware its public and can be viewed and linked by anyone.

What about a crowbar or sledgehammer rather than knife for bear defense?

PS-The fact you have alot of kids pictures in your PUBLIC photobucket folder leads me to believe you may not be aware its public and can be viewed and linked by anyone.

I am not worried bears will log on to my Photobucket account and go after any kids. I think as a culture we are getting too paranoid and overly sensitive about everything.

Bears are afraid of me. :)

DSC00054.jpg

:thumbdn::thumbdn:

It's ok Phoynix, I remember my first beer too.

I for one have thoroughly enjoyed all of Wood's posts and photos and hope he keeps them open.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more absurd...:rolleyes:

Why? You agree if one feels a topic is absurd that gives them the right to disrupt it?

I believe everyone has the right to take anything as seriously, or not seriously, as they wish.

If that offends your sensibilities then so be it. But that doesn't warrant turning things personal, as your post above did.

"Lightening up" can be considered a valuable life skill - just sayin.'

I believe everyone has the right to take anything as seriously, or not seriously, as they wish.

If that offends your sensibilities then so be it. But that doesn't warrant turning things personal, as your post above did.

It's the internet after all. :rolleyes: On a side note those pics were actually not created to mock this goofy topic topic rather a conditioning hike which was through an area with actual bears. Not Google bears but real bears. :D This topic actually came up in my video.

[video=youtube;yqbXdxLBHP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbXdxLBHP8[/video]

I for one have thoroughly enjoyed all of Wood's posts and photos and hope he keeps them open.

Thanks brother. It's a PITA to take pics and videos of trips and skills practices but I remember being sidelined with sickness some time ago and viewing other people's trips and skillz practice kept the outdoor spirit alive. Posts from people like mistwalker beats recycled Google search engine cr@p by a wide margin.

Best defense against a bear when you go into the woods with friends is a good pair of runningshoes. You won't outrun a bear but you don't have to, you just need to be faster than your friends.

Respect to other peoples views even if you don't agree is not apparently on his list of ideals, so he gets none in return.
If he can give shit out, he can take a little back.
Further the usage of his image was legal under US acceptable use copyright law.

The thing about kids is serious and involves people other then himself(which if it was just him I would not have mentioned it).
Thousands of kids are kidnapped and hundred+ murdered every year in the USA alone. One of the key ways children are now found is social media, where they can be auctioned and sold on the darkweb before they are ever kidnapped. His images can show up in Google image search, Camera geotagging has been known to bug out and allow geo tags on images when disabled...
Apparently his full name, pictures of kids, and possibly Geotag can be found though Google image search, since I don't believe he intended for this to be possible, I consider warning him about it to be the right thing to do.

Seeing as I cant message him personally I had to use a post to get his attention or leave it as a message on his profile... I considered this the better option.

Respect to other peoples views even if you don't agree is not apparently on his list of ideals, so he gets none in return.
If he can give shit out, he can take a little back.
Further the usage of his image was legal under US acceptable use copyright law.

The thing about kids is serious and involves people other then himself(which if it was just him I would not have mentioned it).
Thousands of kids are kidnapped and hundred+ murdered every year in the USA alone. One of the key ways children are now found is social media, where they can be auctioned and sold on the darkweb before they are ever kidnapped. His images can show up in Google image search, Camera geotagging has been known to bug out and allow geo tags on images when disabled...
Apparently his full name, pictures of kids, and possibly Geotag can be found though Google image search, since I don't believe he intended for this to be possible, I consider warning him about it to be the right thing to do.

Seeing as I cant message him personally I had to use a post to get his attention or leave it as a message on his profile... I considered this the better option.

At least my posts were at some level on topic with this thread and I never personally attack or insult anyone intentionally. I also respect the view points of many people here even those I occasionally disagree with. To each their own. Go on any Facebook page and there are millions of kid pics. The same for the entire internet. The only person here which is sniffing out pics of children on the internet searching my Photobucket info around these parts is you. The only person who is posting pics of other people then personally insulting them around these parts is you . The only person who is calling others by a first name basis when personally insulting them is you. You are the problem. Everyone else either lampooning or discussing this topic here is just fine. It's just a thread on fighting bears with knives. Maybe just relax and take a breath.

Last edited:
Wow... touchy for some reason?
You troll... and you love to run around the boonies in the middle of the night with a sledge hammer.
Bears should run away from you ;)
I would say that was on topic wouldn't you?

As for my "sniffing" out pictures of kids.
You linked wilderness pictures, I was going though the PUBLIC wilderness folder you setup enjoying them, then came across a page with pictures of kids that looked a little to personal to be something someone intended to be public, I also stopped looking and informed you about it.(I actually was hoping to find a full body pic of you holding the sledge hammer) As for personal insults, I don't think you can much top trying to imply someone is "sniffing" out pictures of kids on the internet. Maybe we should ask why you feel the need to do so and if its a guilty conscience with a subconscious need to direct attention away from yourself? At no point did I ever suggest or imply anything about your actions in regards to your kids even hinting at such things, so it really does leave me wondering your own need too. As for using your first name, every post you make with a image link lets everyone know your full name, so why get uppity when you already told everyone your full name?

Maybe because you didn't know?

If you feel posting your full name across the internet along with pictures of your kids is the "norm" I suggest you take another look at Facebook and other social media sites. That said your kids... do what you feel is best(within the law).

The thread is also not about fighting bears with knives, its about using a knife to defend against wild animals as a final option, it just happens that people always want to focus on bears. :)

Also don't play with words, lampooning is trolling, people that troll want a response... you got it... now you get all uppity cause it you didn't like it.
Well...
[video=youtube;_YahDLTODDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YahDLTODDg[/video]

At least my posts were at some level on topic with this thread and I never personally attack or insult anyone intentionally. I also respect the view points of many people here even those I occasionally disagree with. To each their own. Go on any Facebook page and there are millions of kid pics. The same for the entire internet. The only person here which is sniffing out pics of children on the internet searching my Photobucket info around these parts is you. The only person who is posting pics of other people then personally insulting them around these parts is you . The only person who is calling others by a first name basis when personally insulting them is you. You are the problem. Everyone else either lampooning or discussing this topic here is just fine. It's just a thread on fighting bears with knives. Maybe just relax and take a breath.

We are done. You are the first person to be placed on my ignore list. Congrats. Also I apologize to the mods for any disruptions this....whatever it was might have caused.

Last edited:
Back