• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

???? Knifemaker or knifefaker ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Richard J, until people who make fraudulent sales are banned it will continue. I agree that making and selling kits is fine, I did it myself when I first started, just make it clear that thats what they are in the sales description.

Well Ray did the right thing by me. I purchased the Buckeye dyed hunter and filed a pay pal dispute after the links supplied. He refunded payment after telling him I had no concerns about pulling the handles and seeing for sure if it was a custom. As far as I am concerned Bill did the right thing and informing me of the fraud. Thanks Bill

He "did the right thing" after you confronted him?
:rolleyes:

To all of you,this started months ago,when i notice him using premium knife supply blanks,i pm him and said ray those are 440c blanks, from pks u did a satin or wheel finnish on them,he writes his friend gave them to him,they were all rusted thats why they were satin instead of mirror finnish ,aswell his friend said they were ats-34,so i dropped the matter,a week later same thing jantz blank,i pm again,he replys my friend deal again,so i dropped it again,third time i pm him and flat said stop it your gonna ruin your reputation,people are gonna realize it,so he started grinding a tad here and there to make them look diffrent,then he comes out with the kurki,man you would need a 5"wide billet to do that knife as soon as i took a look i immediatly seen it was pakistan damascus,so i found it right on anceint arms website, i kept my mouth shut,it sold for hundreds,well a couple others started noticing it like i knew would happen,then he started more less accusing me of getting it started ,not a word from me,but i did know who was doing it,my name got spread around and around,then today a pm was sent to him from another member,and bammmmm!! There was the conflict and my name again,so i decided enough was enough,i dont have to hide anything,and his guilt was getting to him,so i posted this i was tired of getting the blame for his ignorance,so i posted , if my name wasnt brought up to so many people id kept my mouth shut but whats done is done,i feel bad but its off my chest and now he can say bill done it

i i'll say it again bill, you did the right thing by posting what you did.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe if you take the handle off his "work" it would become very clear that his work is not his own. He refunded because I filed a claim stating that it was fraud and it would come to light that it was not ATS-34 steel but Jantz's 420-440 blank This would have not have happened if it had been for Bill's PM. I do have to question why O'Neill had commented in Ray's thread how nice of work he had done?

A few years back there was a certain. . .um, assembler. . . from southeast Ohio who used to sell knives on Ebay as "custom." Nowhere in the ads did he state that they were bought blades. He would just let people assume that they were handmade--if you didn't ask, he didn't tell. Some sold for hundreds. He'd start the bids at something silly like 1 cent or 99 cents.

Do you remember that, Bill?

i think in order for a person to get a knifemakers membership they must show a wip making a knife from cutting out the blank to grinding the knife in steps.

Richard, I like you but that's got to be one of the most asinine ideas I've ever heard of.... this a forum, not the Guild or the ABS. It's run by a FOR PROFIT company. Some people buy "knifemaker" memberships because they're trying to help the forum by paying for services.... Sooo who do you nominate to be the BF judging committee? Will the work have to be sent in for judging? Will there be a poll for members on someone's eligibility?

Ha!.... Rich got faced.:thumbup: Elitism Fail:thumbdn:

Rick:p
just jokes bro.

A few years back there was a certain. . .um, assembler. . . from southeast Ohio who used to sell knives on Ebay as "custom." Nowhere in the ads did he state that they were bought blades. He would just let people assume that they were handmade--if you didn't ask, he didn't tell. Some sold for hundreds. He'd start the bids at something silly like 1 cent or 99 cents.

Do you remember that, Bill?

yeah,Alot of years back yeah i remember plainly and dont deny,,and thats how i started in to knife making and learning and the blanks were all over ebay thats why they were one cent starting bid not 400.00 anyone and everyone knew that , and what they were buying , premium knife supply flooded the market, thats how you start and learn correct? i dont deny anything,and they didnt say handmade either, they were custom,how did the yellowhorse family and prater,ect get a following, your welcome to come to my shop anytime and ill take a bar of steel and show you step by step like i have showed many,bud i dont have nothing to hide,good post but were talking about a knifemaking forum were knives are supposed to be made from scratch,and that i do,i guess i buy blanks from aldo bruno with hamons already in them and just handle them,get a life!
aswell i offered you to come and join in awhile back but you were too busy remember or i guess you forgot,when you posted in my thread is that a knife blank to try and start sh#t, so dont come trying it again,come visit me!

Here is my opinion for what its worth. I think that customizing blanks is fine. Alot of the guys doing them are very talented and make very nice knives. Its also another thing to list knives and not tell much information about them, leaving it up to the customer ask questions. My main issue is posting something that is not true about the knife, like ATS34 steel when it is not. I have asked Mr Carpenter twice about his work. Once, I asked if h ground his knives and he replied yes. Today I emailed him and asked him again if he was using blanks. He replied to my email stating he did all the work himself and that it was not really any of my business questioning him about it. There is leaving out information and there is straight up not telling the truth!

Ok first off I have to apologize to Bill, He sent me info that I may have purchased a supply house blank of a different steel, ground to make it less reconizable with a lot of links to prove his point! Bill I am sorry to question you if yours are real. I was just pissed to think that I have been taken. Ray did the right thing by refunding the money after I asked him if the blade was a sole authorship and was ATS -34 as stated. If it was not for Bill I would have received something inferior to his work which he takes much pride in producing and rightfully so. I have a couple of his blades and they are very nice sole authorship knives that I am happy to own. I also questioned O'neill on why he complemented Ray on his nice handle work, well Ray does a nice job with mosaic pins and stabilized wood. This whole thing is a mess. I guess this whole thing comes down to Buyer beware. Ask questions if you want the real deal, sole authorship. Both Bill and O'neill provide this, Ray does not. Well enough said, sorry Bill if I offened you and thank you for pointing Out I was being taken. martin

this will be my last post on the subject,i think i said this before? lol, i have a handmade knife to giveaway on my 2010th post and im close,so im out of posts for now,I will speak up and say i used blanks back in the day,as most of us did,it was a trial and error cheap way of learning ,i sold them as custom knives,not handmade on ebay only,from that i got a following and people loved my work,now years later i do all my work from billets and bars of steel, stock removal method,i do everything in house profiling,grinding ,forging,quenching,and h/treating,aswell as all my finnish work,i sell only sole authership knives made by me on BLADE FORUMS, i do use patterns of blades that i like that i didnt design,but most i do design,as posted above NSTRICKER is only bringing up the past to lead this to another issue ,he was trying to call me out and try to insult me,me and him have already had words about this subject,but some people are trouble and never change,im sorry if i offended anyone,any and all are welcome to come visit and work with me in my shop anytime my wife says i should live in it ,, i have done many work in progress threads on this forum and ansewered and help many people and folks who wanna learn,something i never had help with,i done it all on my own,its nice to have someone to show you the ropes and how it all comes together in the end,i have done that many times,and had many visitors to my shop,thanks everyone,and have a good night
bests bill

One of the other forums I'm on requires that you send pictures of your work to a moderator (who is also a knife maker) before they approve your knife maker membership. This also ensures known swindlers are not allowed to sell. They don't have to be great knives, just knives that you clearly made. As long as you made it, your cleared to sell.

I for one can attest to Bills knives being handmade. I have two that I worked on with him from start to finish! It was a great learning experience.

One of the other forums I'm on requires that you send pictures of your work to a moderator (who is also a knife maker) before they approve your knife maker membership. This also ensures known swindlers are not allowed to sell. They don't have to be great knives, just knives that you clearly made. As long as you made it, your cleared to sell.

Sooooooo to join said forum where I probably know 90% of the makers and most likely some of my customers hang out I'd have to prove to some other person that I'm qualified as a maker to sell knives? After 3 years of being on that forum do I get a stamp or 5 signatures allow me the right to vote? :jerkit:

Here is my take on it and I Know Ray personaly. He is a pathological lier,a theif and a piece of well you get the point. He could not grind a knife if his life depended on it. He does a gun show up here and is pulling the same thing there. He came over to friends house {Tiny Spencer} that was a knifemaker he has since past away once or twice and now he goes around telling everybody that my friend tought him how to make knives .He is not worth all this fuss Im sure he will never be back here that is the kind coward he is and always will be. :barf:

Brett Mathews

Sooooooo to join said forum where I probably know 90% of the makers and most likely some of my customers hang out I'd have to prove to some other person that I'm qualified as a maker to sell knives? After 3 years of being on that forum do I get a stamp or 5 signatures allow me the right to vote? :jerkit:

I would think that if a knife forum were to adopt such a rule, it would be for new members and existing members would be grandfathered in.

I also think that it would be easy to find photographs on the web and represent them as your own work, to achieve acceptance - so, I'm not sure how well it would deter the liar types.

As much as I like the idea of banning people who misrepresent their work, who is going to take responsibility for making those determinations?

I've learned from this post and others like it that we should take nothing for granted unless we are dealing with people who are familiar and we trust. Investigate and ask questions if there is any doubt. Listen to your gut when you are unsure.

I am glad that Bill posted this thread.

E

It's not required if everyone already knows that you are a knife maker.

For makers they are not familiar with, they just want to verify that you actually make some sort of knife.

The knife could be terrible; they don't really care so long as you made it yourself.

They are not trying to exclude anyone, simply ensuring a good environment for makers and buyers.

I thought it sounded a bit odd at first too, but it makes sense.

It's just their way of keeping the bad seeds out. It seems to work very well; I can't recall any instances of fraud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back