• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

???? Knifemaker or knifefaker ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn.

It's disappointing to find out that I can never become a true "knife maker" because I didn't dig the tunnel, mine the ore and plant the Ironwood tree from seed (No greenhouse started seedlings allowed!).;):D

Darn.

It's disappointing to find out that I can never become a true "knife maker" because I didn't dig the tunnel, mine the ore and plant the Ironwood tree from seed (No greenhouse started seedlings allowed!).;):D

You could still be a maker, Tim..... just a lazy one.:p

I too come here to purchase custom work and have almost hit "buy now" for one of those orange handled blades believing it was custom work. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with assembled knives but we as buyers definitely need to know. I as a buyer feel a separate forum is needed.

I don't know you Mark, so I can't make judgements on your character outside this thread... but this just blew me away... What a twisted way of thinking. You love knives enough to have bought from 50% of us, yet are willing to toss custom makers aside based on a few isolated cases of bad business? Some restaurant cooks spit in the food, do you never go to another? Many bottled water companies were proven to have used tap water, do you shun them all? Many of those carnival games have proven to be rigged, yet folks still play them and have fun doing so.

I would hope that your statements were said in haste.... if not... I question your choice in addiction.... lol.

MY BIGGEST BEEF WITH YOU.... is that I don't recall ever selling you a blade. Acquire one of my pieces.... then you can quit customs if you want.:p:thumbup:

Your right Rick, I'm sure it was spoken in haste. Believe it or not. I'm not the type of person that use’s a broad brush to paint all for one bad apple's mistakes.. I know there's plenty of good honest knife makers here. I know because I've bought knives from them. It just seems that several so called "good knife makers" have, for whatever reason, gone south! Don't know the reasons. don't need to know as it's their business but it just makes it more difficult for me to blindly give my $$ and take the chance that he'll turn out to be a stinker.

I've been on this forum for quite awhile. I have a few posts to my credit but to be honest. About 95% of them have to do directly with buying, selling or trading knives. I’m not much on just yaking. The only one that’s interested in hearing what I have to say is me anyway.;)

Take care.

Mark T.

your right rick, i'm sure it was spoken in haste. Believe it or not. I'm not the type of person that use’s a broad brush to paint all for one bad apple's mistakes.. I know there's plenty of good honest knife makers here. I know because i've bought knives from them. It just seems that several so called "good knife makers" have, for whatever reason, gone south! Don't know the reasons. Don't need to know as it's their business but it just makes it more difficult for me to blindly give my $$ and take the chance that he'll turn out to be a stinker.

I've been on this forum for quite awhile. I have a few posts to my credit but to be honest. About 95% of them have to do directly with buying, selling or trading knives. I’m not much on just yaking. The only one that’s interested in hearing what i have to say is me anyway.;)

take care.

Mark t.

Mark,
There are alot of great makers on this site,and alot of reveiws about many, i hate that you feel the way you do now that you read this thread, theres always that little thing called "search" in the blue line at the top on any of the forum pages,just click it and type in the makers username,and youll find most anything you need to know about that person and everyone elses thoughts aswell,Hey we do listen,just speak out to us.
bests bill

I have purchased two of Rays knives. One of which I am almost certain is made from a $12 blank, which I asked him about, but he fervently denied. I payed $250 for that knife. That being said, I am happy with the knives. Ray does make exceptionally ergonomic handles, and I am proud to have his knives in my collection. I wouldn't want a refund, but knowing the truth does sting a bit.

It appears I may be one of the customers taken advantage of here. I am fairly new to collecting (and using) custom knives, and this thread really opened my eyes about how gullible I have been.

I guess besides thinking I was getting a single-authorship knife the part that bothers me the most is the steel substitution, 440C instead of ATS34. I don't really even know the the exotic materials of the scales are what they were said to be.

So burned once shame on you, burned twice shame on me. What do you makers suggest we buyers do? How do I tell if I'm getting what I paid for? How do I tell 440C from ATS34?

Thanks for this info. I don't plan on halting my collecting, but I'm darn sure not going to post "I'll take it"'so quickly in the future.

Signed: A concerned customer.

It appears I may be one of the customers taken advantage of here.... /snip/

Signed: A concerned customer.

Stairmaster... The only thing you really can do is adhere to the first commandment of custom knife collecting... "Know thy maker." Do a little bit of research on who you are buying from or the knifemaker if it's a resale. On the 440C vs ATS34 question... that is a toughy. Sadly, unless the knife is proven to be a kit blade and you can track it's origin, you really have no idea... It all comes back to the maker. If they are upfront about their process you should be able to rest easy. If all you can find is a name and a knife... look deeper before buying. If he is a skilled scam artist, you may never know. There is no defense against a sucker punch.

Rick

Ps. Sorry bout the name.... couldn't resist.... lol.:p

:D:thumbup:

Stairmaster... Ps. Sorry bout the name.... couldn't resist.... lol.:p

Not a problem, I've been called much much worse and could use a little Stairmaster time anywho...

How about a "Let me introduce myself" subforum where a maker could, if they want, write a little something about their practices? Maybe a few pics in the shop with a WIP, experience, training,... stuff like that. If a maker I'm considering is there, great! If not, well it's just one more thing to think about while digging deeper.

I would think honest makers would jump at the chance to show off a little, and have a way to boost their reputation, consider it free advertising. Not that it would stop fraud or lying, but it was stated in this thread that a true maker can spot a fraud pretty easily so it would be possible to police yourselves to some extent. And give us buyers one central place to look for a brief history of a maker. Obviously the Feedback forum has it's loopholes...

Just thinking out loud...

From the knifemakers I have seen, you can just ask for a picture of their hands, palms up, nails showing. (But I guess they could fake that as well) The studio or shop photo tours are always enjoyable to me and are good evidence of a real maker. Really it is important to remember that though the events brought up in this thread are known to occur, they are very rare on this forum. I agree that those who were deceived or misinformed should be contacted by the assembler and amends made including the option of a full refund. Knife people have long memories and I dont think that anyone will be buying a knife from that person anytime soon unless he overtly satisfies the concerns of his mislead customers. I have found that the vast majority of knife people are extremely honest and the kind of folk I would want as neighbors.

From the knifemakers I have seen, you can just ask for a picture of their hands, palms up, nails showing.
That Is so true in general.
The scars, callousness, burns, ground off fingernails Leather stained and glue in the fingernails kind of give it away.
But you are right Photo shop would negate it.
I would look at feed back history and also Google Search the seller.

Stairmaster... The only thing you really can do is adhere to the first commandment of custom knife collecting... "Know thy maker." Do a little bit of research on who you are buying from or the knifemaker if it's a resale. On the 440C vs ATS34 question... that is a toughy. Sadly, unless the knife is proven to be a kit blade and you can track it's origin, you really have no idea... It all comes back to the maker. If they are upfront about their process you should be able to rest easy. If all you can find is a name and a knife... look deeper before buying. If he is a skilled scam artist, you may never know. There is no defense against a sucker punch.

Rick

Ps. Sorry bout the name.... couldn't resist.... lol.:p

Good advice there.

PS: Go make my knife!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back