Knives in movies

Switchblade Sisters with Rizzuto swinguards.
SWITCHBLADE_SISTERS_ee_2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

980x.jpg

That's a sore spot with me. Love the movie, but here in the real world, the Benchmade 42 Bali-song was discontinued within a few months of that movie premiering. IIRC (which I very well may not be), the 42 was discontinued first, the supply at retailers was drying up, and then the movie came out. Within a year, a knife that cost $125 was suddenly worth over $300. Hit Girl just had to mention it by name, huh?

Oh man, so THAT'S why that happened! I had no fewer than four BM42s in the year prior to them being discontinued, got rid of them all, and didn't sell a single one for more than $150. :(

I love that it says "blood and honor" then Mag asks the Nazi which he cares to shed first....."Blood then". Then he (Magneto) kills two of the officers that he had be searching the globe for. Awesome scene. Cool dagger. Well-deserved deaths. And the birth of an outstanding antihero.
OK...., I guess.

Cool dagger.
OK....

So if you "do t see it" then that's too bad. I see it just fine.

Dont know, where that came from "if I do t see it, then thats too bad."

No need to get your knickers in a bunch.

Its a knife forum; people like different things and we should be able to ask a simple question.

One mans abomination, another dude's 'cool dagger.'

Just the way it is and how people have a different taste in knives.

In my previous post, I didnt judge you for liking it - I merely asked why, as I didnt and still dont see it.

I see it just fine.
So you have made abundantly clear.

OK...., I guess.

OK....

Dont know, where that came from "if I do t see it, then thats too bad."

No need to get your knickers in a bunch.

Its a knife forum; people like different things and we should be able to ask a simple question.

One mans abomination, another dude's 'cool dagger.'

Just the way it is and how people have a different taste in knives.

In my previous post, I didnt judge you for liking it - I merely asked why, as I didnt and still dont see it.

So you have made abundantly clear.
Well , ya came across a little aggressive in regard to my post. I'm all about disagreeing on various topics. After all , comparing and contrasting thoughts and ideas is why a forum is so much fun. But putting down my opinion in a disrespectful manner just because you don't agree is lame.

It seems I ruffled your feathers somehow in my original post. But no need to be uptight. I come in peace :D

Well , ya came across a little aggressive in regard to my post.
Nope.
I posted, that I didnt care for the knife- I didnt judge you personally for thinking it a 'cool dagger.'

If we all liked the same knives, it would be pretty boring.

But putting down my opinion in a disrespectful manner just because you don't agree is lame.
I did no such thing at all.

Speaking of a lame accusation: pls point to where in my original post quoting you, I brand you an oaf or otherwise put YOU down for liking a Hollyweird fantasy dagger?
(which is of course fine to do - like a certain knife, that is).

You cant, because I did no such thing.

It seems I ruffled your feathers somehow in my original post.
Not at all.

I thought that particular prop/CGI dagger fugly but nothing ruffled.
--------
As for movie knives; I just looked up the knives for a previous movie mentioned above. Under Siege.

I commented on the movie knife fight and when a movie knife is mentioned, I like to know, which one it is.

Hibben in US1 and MadDog in US2/DT, as mentioned previously.

In regards to the MadDog prop knife.

Whilst the real knife looks good (would never even contemplate buying one), the rubber prop knife looked horrible and fake, as such things often do.

They were obviously never used for close-ups, where the real deal can be used.

The rubber prop knife was described as being soft rubber with some sort of internal re-inforcement.

The prop knife was acuctioned along with a Steven Segal ID. Presumably also a prop from that movie.

The Gil Hibben thrower from 'Under Siege,' as mentioned.

It can be seen, as Segal in his role as a chef throws it at a wall mounted target during banter with his fellow cooks.

bZUhX9P.jpg

Nope.
I posted, that I didnt care for the knife- I didnt judge you personally for thinking it a 'cool dagger.'

If we all liked the same knives, it would be pretty boring.

I did no such thing at all.

Speaking of a lame accusation: pls point to where in my original post quoting you, I brand you an oaf or otherwise put YOU down for liking a Hollyweird fantasy dagger?
(which is of course fine to do - like a certain knife, that is).

You cant, because I did no such thing.

Not at all.

I thought that particular prop/CGI dagger fugly but nothing ruffled.
--------
As for movie knives; I just looked up the knives for a previous movie mentioned above. Under Siege.

I commented on the movie knife fight and when a movie knife is mentioned, I like to know, which one it is.

Hibben in US1 and MadDog in US2/DT, as mentioned previously.

In regards to the MadDog prop knife.

Whilst the real knife looks good (would never even contemplate buying one), the rubber prop knife looked horrible and fake, as such things often do.

They were obviously never used for close-ups, where the real deal can be used.

The rubber prop knife was described as being soft rubber with some sort of internal re-inforcement.

The prop knife was acuctioned along with a Steven Segal ID. Presumably also a prop from that movie.
You claim the dagger I like is "Hollyweird mish mash" and "a prop guys wet dream"..."abomination". Thus clearly insulting my liking the dagger. Plain as day. Again , your opinion is your opinion. Though , I did not care for your lack of manners.

Reinforced rubber prop knife from 'Under Siege - Dark Territory.'

Supposed to look like a MadDog (as this was before MaxP made knives but lets not go there).

The real deal looks good but the prices (4-5K and up for a knife that size) are of course beyond silly considering what the knife is. But then a knife is worth, what collectors are willing to pay, I guess.

Again, the real knives look good IMO.

fqJDn8G.jpg

You claim the dagger I like is "Hollyweird mish mash" and "a prop guys wet dream"..."abomination". Thus clearly insulting my liking the dagger. Plain as day. Again , your opinion is your opinion. Though , I did not care for your lack of manners.

You dont get the point.

Im clearly NOT insulting YOU liking the dagger.

Thats all in your head.

Listen to yourself. Its a prop and most likely a CGI fantasy piece. Its most likely not a real knife in the close-up and its CERTAINLY not your knife.

If anything, Im being derogatory about that dagger-like object - not about you.

Its not all about you, you know.

Be that as it may, you are obviously very sensitive and now working yourself into a huff.

So lets put this to rest and write it off to a difference in opinion.

Im not answering to any more of your silly accusations.

Back to movie props/knives.

You dont get the point.

Im clearly NOT insulting YOU liking the dagger.

Thats all in your head.

If anything, Im being derogatory about that dagger-like object - not about you.

Its not all about you, you know.

Be that as it may, you are obviously very sensitive and now working yourself into a huff.

So lets put this to rest and write it off to a difference in opinion.

Im not answering to any more of your silly accusations.

Back to movie props/knives.
Lol

That's a sore spot with me. Love the movie, but here in the real world, the Benchmade 42 Bali-song was discontinued within a few months of that movie premiering. IIRC (which I very well may not be), the 42 was discontinued first, the supply at retailers was drying up, and then the movie came out. Within a year, a knife that cost $125 was suddenly worth over $300. Hit Girl just had to mention it by name, huh?

You'll notice that it's also a lefty, as Tom is in real life. Michael Man doesn't fool around with his characters and their props, nor does he let his actors get away with looking good on camera, but makes them know their tools like a real professional would.

Who the hell is running the marketing department at benchmade? If it were me not only would the model stay on the market after that movie but the price would have gone up 50$.

Also would have releases limited edition kickass 42s with hitgirl colour scheme.

Reinforced rubber prop knife from 'Under Siege - Dark Territory.'

Supposed to look like a MadDog (as this was before MaxP made knives but lets not go there).

The real deal looks good but the prices (4-5K and up for a knife that size) are of course beyond silly considering what the knife is. But then a knife is worth, what collectors are willing to pay, I guess.

Again, the real knives look good IMO.

fqJDn8G.jpg

He only needs a rubber knife because he taught Anderson Silva the deadly front kick.

He only needs a rubber knife because he taught Anderson Silva the deadly front kick.
Thats funny.

Just now read about that in connection with the above prop knife, as it was part of a discussion about akido and martial arts in general.

Two examples of switchblades in movies:

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

Godzilla (Gojira, 1954)

The knife first appears at 5:27:

I much prefer the original Japanese version (Gojira) in Japanese language/English subs, without Raymond Burr's scenes edited in, but this was all I could find of this scene on YouTube.

Jim

Last edited:
Who the hell is running the marketing department at benchmade? If it were me not only would the model stay on the market after that movie but the price would have gone up 50$.

Also would have releases limited edition kickass 42s with hitgirl colour scheme.

My theory (and this is just a theory) is that Benchmade discontinued the 42 (and all the 4X line) because they couldn't economically make it anymore. The titanium handles were injection molded, and towards the end of the line's life quality got worse and worse. There were lots that had terrible fit and finish, including wobble and bad finishing work. So I think that the mold was degrading, and being extremely expensive, Benchmade chose to not get another one. Again, this is just my theory. Prices did go up towards the knives' end of life, around $165 I think, but it wasn't long after that that they discontinued it entirely. They do have the 6X line now, being machined sandwich construction steel handles.

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Although 'switchblades' have existed since the mid-1700s, I'm pretty sure that the particular switchblade shown is an anachronism in a western movie.

Jim

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Although 'switchblades' have existed since the mid-1700s, I'm pretty sure that the particular switchblade shown is an anachronism in a western movie.

Jim
The Magnificent Seven is from 1960, so yes, the prop guys most likely just used any knife from that period they could lay their mitts on.

Excellent movie btw. The 2016 remake blows.

James Coburn rocks!
When he is bad, he's good - when he is good, he's excellent:D

Last edited:
Wrong Turn (2003).
In the opening scene, a female climber/victim has a Kershaw Boa(?).

Turistas (2006)
A Victorinox SAK (Tinker or Spartan??) is found by the main protagonist and used (including as a weapon).

Jim

Back