LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

Empty replacement boxes, sometimes with papers and even sheaths show up on the bay if you want to keep it as new. Finding a good user shouldn't be hard since they made so many.

One of the most often posted questions over the years has been regarding the LB7 stamps, pins, and serial numbers. I am fairly sure that many of you here now have one or more LB7s, and it would be of great help if you could list for me the serial numbers, pins, and tang stamps. My off-forum survey so far has proven inconclusive on dating the changes of the four main tangstamp variants, and how they relate to the pin changes, packaging, and serial numbers. Also, I have recorded a few (very few) LB8s with serials. If you would like to help, please list your knives this way:

1. D25654 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

2. Q81829 - three pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

3. AY81596 - three pin, MAC etch.
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

4. No Ser# three pin, tan box
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

Thanks!

Michael

I have two items 1. Schrade + USA 3 pin ser# V84632 or V64632 w/Uncle Henry Sheath, I don't know if they are a match because i have another set (knife and Sheath) somewhere. I am going to give this knife to my son, The sheath is an original that I bought around late 70"s, Any info on decipher the ser #

Q47540 (At least I think it is a Q and not 047540)
3 pin
Schrade+
U.S.A. LB7

It is interesting to me that my serial number is machine stamped with perfectly formed letter/numbers. When I look at the photos across this thread... so many of the serials look like they were hand engraved with much larger font. Mine is not like that.

Anyway, my knife now has a broken lock mechanism and I don't know the best way to get it fixed. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I bought the knife sometime from 1978-1982 is the best I can recall. It is a sentimental item and I hope it can be fixed.

Incredible this thread has been gong on for so long.

Q47540 (At least I think it is a Q and not 047540)
3 pin
Schrade+
U.S.A. LB7

It is interesting to me that my serial number is machine stamped with perfectly formed letter/numbers. When I look at the photos across this thread... so many of the serials look like they were hand engraved with much larger font. Mine is not like that.

Anyway, my knife now has a broken lock mechanism and I don't know the best way to get it fixed. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I bought the knife sometime from 1978-1982 is the best I can recall. It is a sentimental item and I hope it can be fixed.

Incredible this thread has been gong on for so long.
There are some folks that specialize in repairing folding knives, and i hope one shows up here. I know what you mean about having a knife that means a lot to you. I hardly ever carry mine anymore, but would still be Heart broken if it was broken in some way. Good luck with it.

I have a 3 pin shrade+ usa lb7 sn#023915
As far as I've gathered it's a 1978 but strangely a 3 pin instead of 4 pin I have looked the sn over a dozen times and it's clearly not Q or O it's a 0

I also have the uncle henry shrade pro hunter 171uh with original sheath and sharpening stone any info on this

I have a 3 pin shrade+ usa lb7 sn#023915
As far as I've gathered it's a 1978 but strangely a 3 pin instead of 4 pin I have looked the sn over a dozen times and it's clearly not Q or O it's a 0
Hi Curtis, with a six digit serial number I believe you are correct with the dating of 1978 or earlier. After you have the required ten posts (I think) please post photos of both knives? :)

Hi guys! New here, amazing that this thing is still going!

Q5028 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

I've always know about these knives but have never given them too much thought. I found this knife today at an estate sale. The only reason I even bought it was for the leather pouch. My Benchmade fits in it perfectly. I usually on carry knives that have an assisted opening. But this Schrade is growing on me. This thing is solid. It has a big ole clunck sound when you open it that you can hear from ten miles away. Just the force of the lock is amazing. This thing is rigid. My Benchmade just has a dainty click. Makes me regret spending 200 on that instead of finding this first.

...This thing is solid. It has a big ole clunck sound when you open it that you can hear from ten miles away. Just the force of the lock is amazing. This thing is rigid. My Benchmade just has a dainty click. Makes me regret spending 200 on that instead of finding this first.

That's why we love the Bear Paw lockbacks around these parts. Welcome to the fold!

V54273 - Three Pin
SCHRADE+
USA LB7
Looks like the brass is tarnishing a little, time to give it a good polishing from the Baton Rouge Cajun humidity..
But still in great shape. I believe I purchased it in 1980's during Ronald Reagan's first term.

One of the most often posted questions over the years has been regarding the LB7 stamps, pins, and serial numbers. I am fairly sure that many of you here now have one or more LB7s, and it would be of great help if you could list for me the serial numbers, pins, and tang stamps. My off-forum survey so far has proven inconclusive on dating the changes of the four main tangstamp variants, and how they relate to the pin changes, packaging, and serial numbers. Also, I have recorded a few (very few) LB8s with serials. If you would like to help, please list your knives this way:

1. D25654 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

2. Q81829 - three pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

3. AY81596 - three pin, MAC etch.
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

4. No Ser# three pin, tan box
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

Thanks!

Michael

Hey guys, love this thread I hope someone is keeping track and coming up with a shrade timeline lol. Love mine love to know when they come from but I only have one LB7 so far
Schrade+
USA LB7
Any information would be amazing and greatly appreciated thank in advance!!
Side note it’s not mint it’s been a working mans knife a long time but still a solid knife that I use as an edc or out on the job or the trail it would still be a trustworthy companion

Hey guys, love this thread I hope someone is keeping track and coming up with a shrade timeline lol. Love mine love to know when they come from but I only have one LB7 so far
Schrade+
USA LB7
Any information would be amazing and greatly appreciated thank in advance!!
Side note it’s not mint it’s been a working mans knife a long time but still a solid knife that I use as an edc or out on the job or the trail it would still be a trustworthy companion
Read the thread from the beginning. Your knife would be the 33,811th one made. See where that falls in the production records posted.

Read the thread from the beginning. Your knife would be the 33,811th one made. See where that falls in the production records posted.
Ok tyvm yea got few pages in kinda figure that was the make. I’ll go find the production record. Thanks

My aunt told me she found this LB7 in a drawer and she knows I like knives so she sent it to me. It was pretty dirty but I cleaned it up and it looks great. My first LB7.

Z66118 three pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .

My aunt told me she found this LB7 in a drawer and she knows I like knives so she sent it to me. It was pretty dirty but I cleaned it up and it looks great. My first LB7.

Z66118 three pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 U.S.A .
Sounds like you have a COOL Aunt. I take it you thanked her profusely? :thumbsup:

5182 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

With the help of a kind friend, I was very happy to acquire LB7 serial #5182 recently. I'm thinking this could well be from the first week of production in 1977.

If I crunch the 1978 and 1979 numbers Schrade made (on average) 7380 LB7 knives per week over those two years. This makes me think 5182 in a week is not an unrealistic amount when they were trying to get some inventory in place. Maybe it didn't even take them a week to make that many. They made so very many knives. It boggles my mind.

S3tXyVN.jpg

4GnJVBC.jpg

apz53jS.jpg

yYyEZQ6.jpg

Back