LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

5182 - four pin
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

With the help of a kind friend, I was very happy to acquire LB7 serial #5182 recently. I'm thinking this could well be from the first week of production in 1977.

If I crunch the 1978 and 1979 numbers Schrade made (on average) 7380 LB7 knives per week over those two years. This makes me think 5182 in a week is not an unrealistic amount when they were trying to get some inventory in place. Maybe it didn't even take them a week to make that many. They made so very many knives. It boggles my mind.

Very nice, with a very low number too.

Last edited:
Question for Codger: Do you still have # 0326 you mentioned when you started this thread, way back when......that's the lowest I've heard of so far.....wonder where #0001 is?Hoo Roo

now that is a low serial number. i was lucky enough to land #1976 it is in a semi box labeled "NOT FOR SALE DISPLAY ONLY".

I enjoyed this post from beginning to end. I was recently researching a Buck 110 knife when I found out they marked their knifes according to the year made by symbols kinda like Zippo does. I remembered that my father gave me a knife years back so I decided to find out what it was. I rummaged through my knife drawer and found out it was a Schrade (I thought it was a Buck). I did a little online research and viola I found this forum. I read through the entire thread and was happy to find it was still somewhat active. Here is mine-
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 USA
Serial #X79638
While I was reading this thread I noticed that someone stated that the serial number arent as consistent throughout. I looked at mine under a Jeweler's loupe and found two layers of stamp/writing on the serial number. No evidence of scuffing out the number to replace it with another. My theory is that when they stamp them sometimes the stamps arent as legible as they would like so they scribe them in to make them more defined.

Aside from the covers, and tang stamps, (and possibly the cost now days) is there a difference between the LB7 and 7OT?

Aside from the covers, and tang stamps, (and possibly the cost now days) is there a difference between the LB7 and 7OT?
you can find some 7 OT's with a carbon steel blade while the Uncle Henry LB 7 had stainless blades. that is the main difference i think.

I don't have an LB7, but I have these two:

4 pin, carbon steel blade
SCHRADE
U.S.A. 7-OT

and

3 pin, stainless blade
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB8 U.S.A.

I also have a pretty beat LB8 that lives in my truck - it is the same as the above LB8 except it has nickel silver bolsters and pins.

none of them have serial numbers that I can see anywhere.

I just picked up a nice LB7 online. This is my second one, and both are in good condition, but not collector grade in my book. Details below.

AX51220-3 Pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE+
LB7 USA

I found a Schrade USA lb7 knife with serial #j37841. I don't know much about knives and was wondering how much it is worth? I would send pics, but don't know how to load them in here yet. Thank you

I have an LB7 that I bought new I think sometime in the late 70's early 80' Serial number is V10935 can anyone tell me the year it was made.

Just picked up a beater LB7. It's in pretty rough condition with some up/down blade play. Going to try to fix it up a bit. If anybody has any pointers, I'm all ears.

X40720-3 Pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE +
LB7 USA

First post on the forums but I think I had an account previously. It must have been deleted because I never participated.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, my dad gave me his LB7 I think he got in the late 70s or maybe early 80s but he never used it. It even had the original instructions stuffed in the bottom of the sheath. Since I believe he got it not long before, or after I was born, I’m guessing it was made in the late 70s or early 80s. It has a SN of AX29915.

Mike

I'm not certain of the era, the box is thin and white and has a UPC printed on it, so maybe mid-eighties? The paperwork has a feeling of age, with a loss replacement form.

AW79412 - Three pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade+
LB7 USA

Just picked up a beater LB7. It's in pretty rough condition with some up/down blade play. Going to try to fix it up a bit. If anybody has any pointers, I'm all ears.

X40720-3 Pin
Uncle Henry
SCHRADE +
LB7 USA
I've been gradually working on my beater LB7. After a lot of messing with it, I assessed that the blade play was probably due to a damaged hinge pin. So I took the whole thing apart. My plan was to replace the hinge pin and the scales which were damaged. I replaced the scales with walnut and replaced the pins with 1/8 inch stainless steel for the hinge pin and lockbar pin. I used 1.8 inch brass for the scales and bolster. I converted it from a 3 pin to a 4 pin as well. The holes were already drilled in the liners. It has come out pretty nicely so far, although not perfect. I am not even trying to get all of the pits out. I got the worst ones out.

My assessment about the damaged hinge pin was correct. after replacing the pin, there is no more front to back blade ply, and after peening, no more side-to-side play. Unfortunately, I overdid it on the peening and now it's very difficult to open and close. I even used shims to try to prevent that.

Anybody know the best way to fix the tightness? Just keep opening and closing it?

Back