LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

Picked up a user LB8 today. It has a serial number like the LB7s. I know there were some LB8s that got serial numbers, so not a new finding, but figured I would list it here in case the information comes in handy. I suspect this is justa product of using common parts in the same factory to make two different knives.

SCHRADE+, 3-Pin
U.S.A. LB8

This seems like an early serial number. Were early LB8s serial numbered like the LB7s? Or is this just a case of some factory worker picking up the wrong parts?

1. 112824 - four pin
Schrade+
U.S.A LB7
Dark Brown Sheath with belt loop stiched, then folded over loop and stitch again. Just says SCHRADE on flap

2. AV56575 - three pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade+
LB7 U.S.A
Light Brown Sheath, Flat belt loop stitched top and bottom. Says SCHRADE, and an emblem on top of the word.
White box with gold lettering, marked as follows
LB7
SCHRADE +
Schrade Cutlery Corp
Ellenville, N.Y. 12428

Last edited:
Choice knives.,OOp...your 4 pin # 112824 was manufactured in 1978..Previously reported...Numbers : 17694 - 334585 were made in 1978, when USA Schrade made 316,892 LB7's, in 1978...No:1000000 was manufactured in 1980.....popular knife for Schrade...Hoo Roo

I have a 3 pin shrade+ usa lb7 sn#023915
As far as I've gathered it's a 1978 but strangely a 3 pin instead of 4 pin I have looked the sn over a dozen times and it's clearly not Q or O it's a 0

Q47540 (At least I think it is a Q and not 047540)
3 pin
Schrade+
U.S.A. LB7

It is interesting to me that my serial number is machine stamped with perfectly formed letter/numbers. When I look at the photos across this thread... so many of the serials look like they were hand engraved with much larger font. Mine is not like that.

Anyway, my knife now has a broken lock mechanism and I don't know the best way to get it fixed. Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I bought the knife sometime from 1978-1982 is the best I can recall. It is a sentimental item and I hope it can be fixed.

Incredible this thread has been gong on for so long.
Mine is both sentimental and useful, I began using it daily a couple years ago. Have been a Licensed Master Plumber for over 35 years. A GC for the last 10. Going to school for my State Inspectors licencing.
I have had my LB7 since 1979. Serial starts with a Q, Q43343. I have been trying to find a replacement lock pin for it. Just broke a few months ago. Done the research on "how" to replace it, just need the part.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Have an LB7 USA 1979
Serial Q43343. Need a lock pin for it.
I’m not a knife expert so pardon my ignorance. Will a lock pin from an LB8 work? If so, I have an LB8 you can have. The blade was damaged by a previous owner. I bought a box full of used knives at a garage sale and the 8 was in it.

I’m not a knife expert so pardon my ignorance. Will a lock pin from an LB8 work? If so, I have an LB8 you can have. The blade was damaged by a previous owner. I bought a box full of used knives at a garage sale and the 8 was in it.
Very generous of you. 👍

Picked up a user LB8 today. It has a serial number like the LB7s. I know there were some LB8s that got serial numbers, so not a new finding, but figured I would list it here in case the information comes in handy. I suspect this is justa product of using common parts in the same factory to make two different knives.

SCHRADE+, 3-Pin
U.S.A. LB8

This seems like an early serial number. Were early LB8s serial numbered like the LB7s? Or is this just a case of some factory worker picking up the wrong parts?
I'm sure you found your answer, but they went to 99999 or whatever then A-Z at front again, then AA up to I think LM or something like that. Maybe I read that in here, been doing so much reading it's hard to remember where to credit it. Your ser. no. is early for sure. They were making hundred thousand plus per year? I haven't done the math....

Went thru my LB7's and got these numbers. P70584 ----- M57345 ------ Q57409 ----- V10848 ----- AY72728. A couple LB8's with 14930 and 542933.

Choice.!.. Well done...1977 Production. 0001 -17693 produced in 1977...your nail nick appears longer than my early 4 pin LB7's.....maybe an optical illusion?.....my earliest Dark Brown Sheaths also have SCHRADE printed twice round the outer edge of the press stud..yours appears blank?.. .your LB7 has survived 46 years without abuse..many have not been that fortunate...Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Back